PDA

View Full Version : Do this trip, or wait??

maydaymommy
04-28-2009, 02:08 PM
This seems like a very, long time away, but we have a possible WDW trip coming in October 2010. It's being discussed now because my Dad would book the trip this October, for the following year. We would stay, I believe, at the Hilton that is in the park, on my father's miles or points or whatever.

I am really rather freaked out even discussing a trip that includes a not-yet-born baby, but this is why I'm not sure of taking the trip or not.

At time of trip we would have an almost 3.5 yr old and a 13 month old. My concern is that we should delay a year, because if we go 10/2010, the baby will still be taking 2 naps (hopefully!). DS did 2 naps until 18 months.

It would be me, dh, ds, the tba baby, and both of my parents, so there will be plenty of people to do whatever is necessary for/with the baby. I really love Disney and I anticipate lots of family trips and I am anxious for ds to get to go. BUT, I know WDW will still be there if we delay the trip a year. My Dad will continue to have rewards points/miles the following year, so it's not like we *have* to do it then to get those benefits.

What do you think?? Go with 3.5 yr old and 13 month old, or wait to go the following year with 4.5 yr old and 25 month old?

(I'm thinking that if we don't go to Disney in 10/2010, we can do some other family vacation instead, hopefully.)

Momof3Labs
04-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Who knows? Both of my boys changed to 1 nap per day by a year. And your baby might nap happily in the stroller, or might not. I can't imagine that you wouldn't enjoy either trip, and both would have their challenges of one sort or another.

BTW, the Hilton is not in the park. Actually, none of the hotels are in the parks, but the Disney hotels plus the Swan and Dolphin are on property. There is a Hilton that is off property but fairly close by - you'll definitely want at least one rental car (possibly two) so that you can get back and forth to the hotel easily for breaks and/or naps.

I lean towards 2010, but my kids have been to WDW a lot because we love vacationing there with them. DS1 has been 4 times, and DS2 has been 2 times.

hez
04-28-2009, 03:08 PM
I lean the same way Lori does-- DS has been there 4 times already, and he's 5.5. Granted, we have family in the area, but we still like going to MK :)

We went a few weeks ago with the kids-- DD had just turned 11 months. We visited the parks for 2 days, and both days she managed to sleep a bit in the stroller. We did go back to our room for naps in the afternoons, but she did really, really well both days while we were at the parks. I think she especially enjoyed watching all the people :)

We met a family there with a 4 or 5 yo and an 8 week old-- they were unexpectedly blessed with an adoption coming through after they'd made their reservations. They looked like they were having a blast, even with an itty bitty babe.

egoldber
04-28-2009, 03:17 PM
I agree. I think either time to go would be fine.

bnme
04-29-2009, 06:56 AM
I think it would be a bit easier with the littler guy being one (rather then when he is 2). A 2yo may not want to/be able to do a few things that the 4.5yo would so that would be harder to juggle. And it will be a lot easier to get the 1yo nap in the stroller if needed. You can go again when the they are 3 & 5.5 :p

I've gone when they were 4months & 2yo, and then again when they were 3.5 and 5. So really any time is great.

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2009, 08:13 AM
My 16 month old just got dragged all over the place for a week on vacation with no nap most days. Sometimes he slept in his stroller or in the car. He only takes one nap/ day and has since forever (ds1 dropped his 2nd nap at his 1st b-day). I felt guilty shortchanging him and did get him down for an occasional nap but he really did great! I would rather do the trip with a 13m old that could be content to just chill in a stroller than a 2yo that wants to be out and doing everything.

Beth