PDA

View Full Version : Flu outbreak-would it deter you from domestic air travel

infomama
04-29-2009, 12:45 AM
I am set to get on a plane Thursday. Not flying to Mexico or through Mexico. Would this outbreak deter you from flying? DH doesn't seem too worried about it.

kijip
04-29-2009, 01:13 AM
No, it does not make me want to cancel my domestic travel plans.

DeeEast
04-29-2009, 01:16 AM
I'll be honest. We are flying to California in less than a week and its making me nervous. Mostly because we have 3 small children who are going to have to use public potties on the planes and in the airports, not to mention everywhere else we go, and its impossible to get them not to touch anything.

citymama
04-29-2009, 02:36 AM
Like Dee, I am also deterred about travel generally even though it is not a rational response. There is no reason domestic travel should be an issue, but I'm being a lot more cautious about exposure routes right now.

pinkmomagain
04-29-2009, 08:04 AM
It wouldn't deter me, but I'm not a worrier. I may try to do something to help boost my immune system, though. Drink lots of water, maybe take me some Airborne, or vit c or something.

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2009, 08:09 AM
I am not sure I understand the panic over this flu. The regular flu has been all over the place all winter and I haven't seen people second guessing travel plans. Even with the flu shot, there isn't a guarantee you would avoid the regular flu. I would still go. I would just do all the common sense things they recommend like frequent hand washing.

That said, I am sure I would have a case of heeby jeebies every time someone around me coughed.

Beth

KBecks
04-29-2009, 08:32 AM
We are all going to Jamaica in a week and I am OK with it. I think. It depends on what news comes out in the next 6 days!

I am more worried about what happens in a couple weeks if this is a big nasty crazy outbreak and it comes to our state and is spreading like wild. Then I'm going to hide in the basement.

MartiesMom2B
04-29-2009, 08:43 AM
I'm flying to Texas tomorrow. I'm just going to be extra vigilant with handwashing and bringing some chlorox wipes with me. That's about it.

spunkybaby
04-29-2009, 11:53 AM
We're supposed to fly into JFK at the end of May, and I am nervous. We're staying for a few days in Queens with my cousin who's a high school teacher and then visiting other friends and relatives in PA, NJ, and CT.

To be honest, I don't really want to go anymore...it just seems unwise to fly right into a known hotbed of swine flu.

Snow mom
04-29-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm flying with DD from Texas to California on Friday. I guess it's better than flying to New York??? I have to admit I had a terrible dream about swine flu last night. I'm a worrier but I never worried about these types of things before DD.

DrSally
04-29-2009, 03:41 PM
I am not sure I understand the panic over this flu. The regular flu has been all over the place all winter and I haven't seen people second guessing travel plans. Even with the flu shot, there isn't a guarantee you would avoid the regular flu. I would still go. I would just do all the common sense things they recommend like frequent hand washing.

That said, I am sure I would have a case of heeby jeebies every time someone around me coughed.

Beth

The swine flu is different from the "regular flu" b/c it is a new strain, so humans have no immunity to it, it can be passed very easily (like the reg flu), and make healthy people very ill or even die.

ETA: That said, DH travels for work and is currently in NYC. Nothing we can do about it.
Also, by "new", I mean different from normal flu...

justlearning
04-29-2009, 05:11 PM
I am scared of domestic travel. My entire family is scheduled to fly here for a visit a week from today. Some are from San Francisco (flu is there) and others are from Phoenix. Considering our young son is undergoing treatment for cancer and very immune suppressed, I've told my family that I probably will want them to postpone their trip until the scare dies down. My concern is not only exposing my son to more people, but I'm also worried that they could catch the flu from someone on the plane then give it to us.

It's going to cost more for them to come later, so I still haven't had them cancel their flights but I'm leaning that way right now.

wencit
04-29-2009, 06:55 PM
I am worried about domestic travel, too. My SIL is planning to visit from Boston at the end of this week, and she's supposed to stay in our home for a whole week. She's planning to meet and hang out with some friends while she's here, which worries me to no end. We live in the SF Bay Area, where there have already been confirmed cases of the swine flu, one as close as 40 minutes away; I don't need her congregating who-knows-where with who-knows-how-many-people and possibly bringing something into my home.

I have tried suggesting to DH that he convince his sister to stay elsewhere, since I am pregnant right now and we do have a young son, but he thinks I'm overreacting. Sorry, but my first priority is to protect my son and unborn child. I just think right now is NOT a good time to be flying anywhere unless it's absolutely essential.

Jacksonvol
04-29-2009, 06:58 PM
DD & I are flying to Orlando next week and we will be at Disney with lots of other people from all over. I am not worried about it. We may wash hands and use our purell a little more often, but I am not terribly concerned. "Regular flu" mutates frequently enough that humans have little immunity (even if you got a flu shot but the vaccine is not for the strain you contracted), is easily spread and can make healthy people very sick or even die. In spite of the fact that it kills between 250,000 to 300,000 people around the world each year, I don't worry about travel during "flu season" and I'm not any more worried with the appearance of a new strain.

Since DD is not a very young child, does not have a surpressed immune system and can usually be relied on to keep her fingers out of her nose, eyes and mouth, I'm not too worried. If that were not the case, I might be a little worried.

jenny
04-29-2009, 07:03 PM
The swine flu is different from the "regular flu" b/c it is a new strain, so humans have no immunity to it, it can be passed very easily (like the reg flu), and make healthy people very ill or even die.

ETA: That said, DH travels for work and is currently in NYC. Nothing we can do about it.

The swine flu is killing people in the 18-55 age range, which the regular flu doesn't kill. If you get the regular flu and you're a healthy young adult, you won't die usually. But the swine flu is killing this group while the elderly are not dying...KWIM?

DrSally
04-29-2009, 10:45 PM
The swine flu is killing people in the 18-55 age range, which the regular flu doesn't kill. If you get the regular flu and you're a healthy young adult, you won't die usually. But the swine flu is killing this group while the elderly are not dying...KWIM?

That's what I was referring to, that it's killing young, healthy people, which makes it different from the "regular" flu.

purpleeyes
04-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Yep, it would. I have a friend whose husband works for the CIA. He is not longer allowed to travel domestically b/c they can't risk him getting sick. Seems pretty serious to me.

infomama
04-29-2009, 11:03 PM
The difference between the swine flu and the "regular" flu is the fact that it is a combination of flu strains and the body reacts very differently.

This is from the NYT:
"The leading theory on why so many young, healthy people die in pandemics is the “cytokine storm,” in which vigorous immune systems pour out antibodies to attack the new virus. That can inflame lung cells until they leak fluid, which can overwhelm the lungs, Dr. Moscona said."

DrSally
04-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Yep, it would. I have a friend whose husband works for the CIA. He is not longer allowed to travel domestically b/c they can't risk him getting sick. Seems pretty serious to me.

Wow.....I have to type more to get this to go

jenny
04-30-2009, 07:21 AM

That's kind of scary. But what about other domestic travel like amtrak, subway, bus, etc??

TwinFoxes
04-30-2009, 09:12 AM
That's kind of scary. But what about other domestic travel like amtrak, subway, bus, etc??
I'm in the "not freaked" camp, but FYI, the Vice President said on the "Today" show that he is advising HIS relatives not to fly or take the subway. I'm pretty sure that's not the official line, but there ya go. Here's a link:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/21925.html

eta: he later backed off the statement.

tarahsolazy
04-30-2009, 11:18 AM
I am traveling for work this weekend, to a conference on the east coast where there will be 10,000 people from all over the country/world. I'm crossing my fingers and using good hand hygiene.

stella
04-30-2009, 12:56 PM
I wonder how the travel industry is feeling about Joe Biden right now? LOL!