PDA

View Full Version : Quick- DDs teacher is returning to class today after a trip to Mexico.

cdlamis
04-29-2009, 10:29 AM
I knew that DDs teacher was away for a trip but completely spaced about her being in Mexico until DD brought it up at breakfast this morning. Do I keep DD home today (its early release anyway)?

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2009, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't keep her home. Mexico is a big place and the odds of her being infected with something can't be that high.

Beth

SomeoneLikeYou
04-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Can you call the school, even anonomously, and have a discussion about it?

Laurel
04-29-2009, 11:15 AM

This. I would think that the school might want to get a sub, if only to appease parents.

cdlamis
04-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks everyone. I decided to keep her home today- mostly because we have a newborn. I thought about calling the school but I am close to being labeled "the difficult mom" and am picking my battles lately. :)

janeybwild
04-29-2009, 12:05 PM
I would not keep her home unless you plan on doing that for the whole incubation period (5-7 days?).

dhano923
04-29-2009, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't keep her home. Mexico is a big country, and you have no way of knowing where she vacationed or whether she was even around anyone who was ill.

maestramommy
04-29-2009, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't keep her home. But I would have her wash her hands well as soon as she gets home from school.

JBaxter
04-29-2009, 01:42 PM
I wouldnt keep her home. Like some of the PP said Mexico is a big place and unless you are keeping her home all next week keeping her home today was useless.

lorinick
04-29-2009, 02:22 PM
I know you kept her home but as pp stated I also would have sent her. What are you going to do tomorrow?

mommylamb
04-29-2009, 03:01 PM
I think I would have done what you did or just called the school. One of my co-workers comes back from Mexico Saturday and I've already decided to take Monday off myself just cause.

citymama
04-29-2009, 03:22 PM

I would do this. I think it's likely that many parents have concerns and I don't think any school would be surprised to hear from parents asking about a policy or response to the swine flu threat. I think it's unlikely the school will ask the teacher to stay home (which would be the right response from am equity perspective) but you are well within your rights to raise the issue and see what happens. You could also talk to other parents who may share your concerns.

Yes, Mexico is a big country, but the rate at which this flu is spreading is alarming, and the WHO is probably a day away from declaring this a level 5 threat (with 6 being pandemic).

stella
04-29-2009, 05:09 PM
I guess you already kept her home?

I might put out an APB with my friends with the "suggestion" of teacher's trip and the level 5 threat. Then someone else's mom will call the school, and you won't be the problem parent. Plus, once everyone knows she's been in Mexico, there will be a lot of peer pressure for her to stay away for a few days and get a sub.

JBaxter
04-29-2009, 05:23 PM
So if she isnt sick people would want her to burn sick leave? I dont think they can require her to stay home because of a possibility she may have been exposed. I guess if they gave her time off with pay and no sick leave docked.

stella
04-29-2009, 05:37 PM
So if she isnt sick people would want her to burn sick leave? I dont think they can require her to stay home because of a possibility she may have been exposed. I guess if they gave her time off with pay and no sick leave docked.

I don't know schools' teacher attendance policies, but I would think that if the school asked a teacher to stay home that she wouldn't be using her sick leave to do so.

They're closing entire schools over a single infected student, so I think it would be prudent for the school to make sure that anyone who has traveled to Mexico (not just anywhere, but Mexico specifically, and been on a flight from Mexico) to stay home out of an abundance of caution.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all.

Laurel
04-29-2009, 05:43 PM
I don't know schools' teacher attendance policies, but I would think that if the school asked a teacher to stay home that she wouldn't be using her sick leave to do so.

They're closing entire schools over a single infected student, so I think it would be prudent for the school to make sure that anyone who has traveled to Mexico (not just anywhere, but Mexico specifically, and been on a flight from Mexico) to stay home out of an abundance of caution.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all.

ITA, and I am usually far from alarmist about these things- I'm sure the school would rather give one teacher a few days of paid leave than potentially shut down for a week or two. The President even spoke about being prepared for future flu-related school closures today.

Sounds like it is a moot argument in the OP's case- and honestly, I'd bet on that teacher NOT getting sick.

cdlamis
04-29-2009, 09:13 PM
I would not keep her home unless you plan on doing that for the whole incubation period (5-7 days?).

My MIL works at the Mayo Clinic and is the one who suggested that DD stay home today- only due to having a newborn sister. She said that it was highly unlikely that the teacher has the flu virus but better to be safe than sorry.

She is the one who told me that it takes 48 hrs for the symptoms to show up so if the teacher is still ok by tomorrow morning (she left Mexico yesterday AM), then she more than likely is 100% fine.