PDA

View Full Version : How much to put in gas line to kitchen?

niccig
04-29-2009, 05:09 PM
We're not going to update our kitchen for some time. Our 15 year old stove is on i's last legs though, so it will need to be replaced sooner rather than later. It's electric and I prefer gas stove top and electric oven. We have a gas line for the dryer in the next room to the kitchen. Would we need to run a new pipe from the gas meter on the other side of the house, or just a new pipe from the laundry room? How much would this cost. If it's too much, then I'll just have to deal with electric range. Either way, I'm going to hang onto our stove for as long as I can, but I can dream about a stove that all the burners, broiler element, thermostat and cleaning functions work on...

tmphilo
04-29-2009, 06:08 PM
We moved into a new house 3 years ago and had a gas line put to the back patio (just behind the wall from our gas fireplace). They charged us $250 and said if we wanted gas anywhere else in the house it would be an additional $250 for each location (i.e. stove). This may vary by gas company though - ours is NW Natural.

niccig
04-29-2009, 06:13 PM
We moved into a new house 3 years ago and had a gas line put to the back patio (just behind the wall from our gas fireplace). They charged us $250 and said if we wanted gas anywhere else in the house it would be an additional $250 for each location (i.e. stove). This may vary by gas company though - ours is NW Natural.

That's less than I thought. So, it's the gas company that does the line and not a contractor - I thought plumbers also did gas pipes? I'll need to look into it more....it would be nice to get a 100% working stove sometime in the next year...

egoldber
04-29-2009, 06:35 PM
It should be relatively simple assuming you are on a slab or some sort of slightly elevated foundation with no basement.

niccig
04-29-2009, 06:38 PM
It should be relatively simple assuming you are on a slab or some sort of slightly elevated foundation with no basement.

Crawl space under the house, so easy to get to things.

We do have a California basement. It's a 8x10 space under part of the house. You get to it through a trap door in the hall closet. Our furnace and how water heater are down there - PITA to get the hot water heater down in there...it limited size of tank. I want to go tankless eventually.

egoldber
04-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Right, I assumed you had the CA "standard" crawl space, so it really should be very simple and low cost.

niccig
04-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Right, I assumed you had the CA "standard" crawl space, so it really should be very simple and low cost.

Good to know. With a new stove and new fridge to replace the 15 year old ones, I can easily live with our current kitchen for many years to come.

Snow mom
04-29-2009, 09:41 PM
That's less than I thought. So, it's the gas company that does the line and not a contractor - I thought plumbers also did gas pipes? I'll need to look into it more....it would be nice to get a 100% working stove sometime in the next year...

Yes, plumbers usually do gas. Make sure your plumber is licensed and bonded. Friends of ours recently had an unlicensed plumber blow up their house. We are over a mile away and it shook our house. They are lucky to have gotten out in time.