PDA

View Full Version : Bad case of "School-itis" WWYD?

lizajane
04-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Schuyler threw up Friday morning. He played like crazy all day. No fever, no malaise. He played crazy, crazy on Sat. Birthday party then to a huge park with me and my parents. then out for ice cream. Sunday he helped daddy get started on the new treehouse, AFTER auditioning for a musical.

Monday, I get a call from school that he threw up at lunch.

Tuesday, i get a call from school that he "feels like he is going to throw up."

Wednesday- the school "suggested" that he stay home today. thanks. i didn't have plans... sigh... i had to hire a sitter for my nutritionist appt.

Thursday- he has a ped appt at 11:30. since school starts at 9:15 and it takes 1/2 hour to get to the appt, i am just going to keep him home. i may just not take him all day because we are going strawberry picking after we get Dylan from preschool.

BUT COME ON! there isn't anything WRONG with this kid!!!!!

i wonder if he has celiac, like me. or another food intolerance. we will have him tested at his appt. we had a psych appt and the dr. said gluten free was a GREAT idea with my diagnosis (it is hereditary). but he didn't seem to think that he was MAKING himself throw up, although he does have an anxiety diagnosis.

this is like a second spring break. and i am BUSY! i need this kid to go to school!! sounds mean... but seriously, if i left him with YOU all day to ask you 4 million questions without pausing to take a breath, you would need some free time to accomplish your grown up tasks, too!!

kransden
04-29-2009, 11:10 PM
I make it very unpleasant if I think there is faking going on. No TV, lay on your bed, bland food. It was a horrible day for both of us, but she hasn't tried it again. I am not sure how you would keep your DS doing anything, but you could try.

s7714
04-30-2009, 01:07 AM
My older DD is doing almost the exact same thing. She was whiny and complaining about not wanting to go to school every morning last week, but this Monday was the icing on the cake--she had her very first male teacher (a substitute) and that just pushed her over the edge. Today was my volunteer day in her class and she just about wouldn't let me walk out the door. She was sobbing, dry heaving and complaining that she didn't feel good. The school nurse confirmed she didn't have a fever and thankfully the sub. (her teacher's mom who subs. frequently) took pitty and let her stay in the classroom with her for the rest of the lunch period. At pick up the teacher said she was "feeling better" a few minutes after I left and managed to stick out the rest of the day.

I think a lot of my DDs anxiety is that they're really starting to stress the whole "soon to be 1st graders" thing and really pushing the skills they need to focus on before the end of the year. I know a lot of the older kids in her school are stressed because they're doing the standardized testing in the next couple weeks and teachers are pushing info. on them like crazy. Any chance your DSs school is amping up for testing too? I have no idea what do about it, but I'm going through it too.

ETA: When I took my DD into the nurse's office this afternoon there were three other kids there all with the same "symptoms". When I mentioned to the nurse, outside of the room, that I had a feeling my DD was just wanting to get out of school, she said she'd been seeing a lot of that kind of thing lately.

s7714
04-30-2009, 01:11 AM
I make it very unpleasant if I think there is faking going on. No TV, lay on your bed, bland food. It was a horrible day for both of us, but she hasn't tried it again. I am not sure how you would keep your DS doing anything, but you could try.

I did the same thing last week when my DD stayed home one day. No crafts, no treats and the killer...no dance class. Let me tell you she pouted about that one for a while. Funny enough she didn't throw as much of a fit about going to school the next day.

kijip
04-30-2009, 03:43 AM
No ideas generally on the school-itis because T has not tried that (though he has just come out and said "I really don't want to go to school today, can I stay home with you?"). BUT throwing up seems like an extreme symptom for such a young kid if he is just pretending to be sick. I'd take it pretty seriously- does the therapist you take him to have any ideas?

:hug::hug: Hugs on the at home sick while trying to get grown up stuff done. I SOOO get that. T came down with a 104 fever last night so we kept him home today and it was just the worst possible day for it. Any other day would have been so much easier but of course these things are not scheduled.

lizajane
04-30-2009, 08:06 AM
No ideas generally on the school-itis because T has not tried that (though he has just come out and said "I really don't want to go to school today, can I stay home with you?"). BUT throwing up seems like an extreme symptom for such a young kid if he is just pretending to be sick. I'd take it pretty seriously- does the therapist you take him to have any ideas?

:hug::hug: Hugs on the at home sick while trying to get grown up stuff done. I SOOO get that. T came down with a 104 fever last night so we kept him home today and it was just the worst possible day for it. Any other day would have been so much easier but of course these things are not scheduled.

we head to the ped's office today. i am going to have him checked for food issues. we saw his psychatrist on tuesday before i took him to school and i asked him about it. he wasn't too concerned. he thought gluten intolerance was a real possibility and encouraged me to try gluten free. so we have checked in with a mental health professional and will today check in with his physical health professional.

as for the no fun part... it just doesn't work with a little brother AND hyperactivity. you can't make an ADHD kid lie down all day. he would have a panic attack. on Friday, i made him SIT on the playground when we picked up Dylan at preschool (while Dylan played) and he just about lost his mind. i made him go to tutoring yesterday and because i had to get a sitter to go to my appt, i made him review his tutoring work with the sitter instead of playing. i can't punish Dylan by making him stay home and inside because schuyler doesn't want to go to school. and i can't stay home all day to punish schuyler when i have to go to the store, go to appts, run errands, drive dylan to school and back... so i feel kinda screwed either way.

we will see what the ped says. i will let ya'll know.

(oh, and we have gone round and round with the "how do you like school and "did something happen at school that you didn't like" kinda questions. my friends even tired. the sitter tried. the psych tried. we all got the same answers, school is fine, nothing happened, i like my school, i have tons of friends, no one hurt my feelings... and he spent TONS of time with me and with daddy over the weekend, so i don't think it is about getting out attention.)