PDA

View Full Version : costco rainbow swing set

denvergal
04-30-2009, 11:15 AM
we are thinking of getting this set but we really want to switch out the bucket swing for a glider. does anyone know if it would be possible to purchase a glider from a rainbow store and switch it out on this set? i thought i had read somewhere that the connection parts were different and so it couldn't be done but now i can't seem to find where i read that.

Percycat
05-01-2009, 11:39 AM
We built our own swing set and recently switched the bucket seat for the glider Santa brought for Christmas. We ordered the glider online. When I researched, it seemed like there were a few manufacturers of plastic gliders (we bought a green two person glider). There were differences in the type of rope/chain (e.g., rope and chain, plastic coated chain, plastic sleeve chain, rope), differences in color (green, green and yellow, yellow, and blue), and differences in maximum weight capacity.

We chose one that had a very high weight capacity (300lbs) -- other gliders have maximum weights of 105, 120, 150 or unknown. We bought from this site because my husband liked the mounting system better than other systems because the two beams were connected with a metal u-shaped bracket instead of two separate glider swing brackets.

http://www.backyardcity.com/Swing-Sets/Accessories/JSP-Glider-Swing-B2BGlider.htm

My kids love the glider. It was a fantastic upgrade.

ETA: If you have a single beam for the swings instead of monkey bars, you need to buy glider swing brackets like the brackets we bought. The brackets are extension beams mounted perpendicular to the single swing set beam and allow the four glider chains/ropes to be fastened to the swing set.

Karenn
05-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Is this the costco set you're talking about?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11337766&search=swing%20set&Mo=22&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=swing%20set&Ntt=swing%20set&No=4&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

If so, I think it would be tricky to replace the bucket swing with a glider. The gliders I've seen need to hang from two beams (like a set of monkey bars) to work. We bought a costco/sunray set a few years ago and we were able to replace one swing with a glider from rainbow, but we had monkey bars as a swing beam, not just a swing beam. Rainbow was happy to sell us the hardware and the swing. They were also happy to advise me as to whether or not I could put in a glider. They actually had the set we bought at Costco for sale at their store so they knew it pretty well.