PDA

View Full Version : Dermatology body scan

NancyJ_redo
04-30-2009, 04:00 PM
I don't know the right name of the procedure, but I'm going tomorrow to have my dermatologist do a full body scan to check moles, sunspots, etc. They told me I'd have to put on a robe at the office.

I've been wondering this for weeks now - is he going to ask me to take off the robe entirely, or how will he see various parts of me without me completely exposing myself? The dr is a friend of ours and I am totally against the idea of being naked in front of him. Should I wear a bikini underneath the robe, or what? If it were a woman, and a non-friend, I wouldn't care, but in this case I care a lot.

I've never known anyone who's done one of these, so I don't know what to expect. Anyone have experience?

Corie
04-30-2009, 04:08 PM
I get the full body scan every year. So does my 7 yrs. old daughter.
(We just went to the dermatologist on Tuesday.)

I left on my bra and panties then I put on the hospital gown. Basically,
you are standing there in your bra & panties while they look over every
inch, nook & cranny on your body.

She lifted up my bra and examined each breast and under each breast. She also
pulled down my underwear and examined my booty. She took off my socks and
looked between my toes. She rooted through my hair to see my scalp.
She seriously looked EVERYWHERE!!!!!

This is why my dermatologist is a woman!! :)

firsttimemama
04-30-2009, 04:11 PM
I would not go to a friend for this. My experience was similar to the PP if not more thorough. I won't post the detail cause it feels weird to post. He looked everywhere. Yes, everywhere.

mom2ethan
04-30-2009, 04:13 PM
I had my first full body mole check last year. They had me undress completely and put on a robe. For most of the exam, the dermatologist (a woman) moved the robe to check areas. However, at the end she had me lie down on my stomach to check my back, the back of my legs, butt, everything. The gown opens in the back so I was completely exposed. Not my favorite part of it.

Will a female nurse / assistant be present for your exam? I can see why you would be anxious about it.

I have to add, the moles I was worried about were fine, but she did see a spot on my nose that looked suspicious. I had it removed right then and luckily it was benign. The whole experience has made me a lot more conscious of sun exposure though.

Good luck.

kusumat
04-30-2009, 04:39 PM
You can keep your bra and panty on if you ask. I did! I told her assistant that I was still breatfeeding and didn't want to be touched in that area. She didn't tell me to take my underwear off.

veronica
04-30-2009, 04:40 PM
I was going every year for a while and fell out of the habit and started again in my new town. The dr. removed certain areas for biopsy and found melanoma stage 0 on one. I now go back every 3 months and yes, it is detailed. They do check between the labia on me and in my throat as well as in ears and he thoroughly goes through the hair on my head as well. Oh forgot-there is some "cheek-spreading" but it is quick. I think he knows how strange this is for people and is quick....

My Dr. is a man, we get along, and he has a female assitant in every room that is present, even for non-scan appointments. I don't mind. After giving birth, I have no shame.

but-if this is a family friend, I think I would feel strange if you see them outside of medical reasons.

Corie
04-30-2009, 04:42 PM
I would not go to a friend for this. My experience was similar to the PP if not more thorough. I won't post the detail cause it feels weird to post. He looked everywhere. Yes, everywhere.

I didn't want to post the graphic details either! That is why I put the word, everywhere all in CAPITAL LETTERS!!! :)

Sugar Magnolia
04-30-2009, 04:49 PM
My dad just had one done and said his doctor looked everywhere.

NancyJ_redo
04-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Oh sh!t!! I seriously had no idea about all this, and now I don't know what to do...appointment is first thing tomorrow morning. As I said, it's one thing for a woman or at least non-friend to do this, completely another to have a male friend do it (our kids play together, we frequently run into him and his wife at the park, church, whatever). yeah, not going to happen.

Now I've gotta go figure out how I'm going to get out of this, or how I can at least limit the scan to "publically visible" areas.

veronica
04-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Oh sh!t!! I seriously had no idea about all this, and now I don't know what to do...appointment is first thing tomorrow morning. As I said, it's one thing for a woman or at least non-friend to do this, completely another to have a male friend do it (our kids play together, we frequently run into him and his wife at the park, church, whatever). yeah, not going to happen.

Now I've gotta go figure out how I'm going to get out of this, or how I can at least limit the scan to "publically visible" areas.

I completely agree that you should be comfortable when doing this, but if you limit the scan, please go back and get a complete one. The melanoma my physician discovered was on my breast, on a freckle that I had had for years and never would have suspected was an issue.....perhaps he is part of a group and can switch the scheduling to a partner tomorrow?......

DrSally
04-30-2009, 09:05 PM
I've never had one, is everyone supposed to get one? I don't even have a dermatologist. It doesn't sound like fun, but if it's something we're supposed to do...

veronica
04-30-2009, 09:11 PM
I've never had one, is everyone supposed to get one? I don't even have a dermatologist. It doesn't sound like fun, but if it's something we're supposed to do...

Yes-recommended once per year. It's good for pretty much anyone: if you are in the sun, have had prior sun burns(who hasn't) or melanoma that run's in the family. Your first one, they will document the location and size of any larger moles so they can keep track of them through the years.

I can't say enough about how important I realized they were last year. I grew up in a beach area but had been out of the sun for years (no more beach body) and was shocked that after 6 biopsies that were done on me during several visits, the last one and least suspicious was melanoma. Luckily it was considered "stage 0" , meaning they could tell on the biopsy that they got it all and it was not mastesized. I had surgery to remove the surrounding area to be sure it was gone. My follow up treatment is to get these scans 4 times per year for the next two years and basically biopsy anything that looks strange. I have a lot of sun freckles and moles so I pretty much look like I have scars all over from the biopsies but scars are much better than cancer, in my book!

DrSally
04-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Wow, ok, I guess I should find a dermatolotist.

trentsmom
04-30-2009, 10:28 PM
I've had several mole checks and none have been as thorough as some of you have had. Wow. Maybe it's because my derm is older?

sste
04-30-2009, 11:13 PM
My DH is friends with some "dermies" and rotated through derm during his med training. Let me tell you, checking the anal crease, labia, and between the toes pretty much separates out the dedicated dermies from those who should have found work with the cosmetics industry. If your derm is not checking those places thoroughly I would find a new one. DH did see patients on that rotation where cancerous moles where found in those areas . . .

niccig
04-30-2009, 11:21 PM
My DH is friends with some "dermies" and rotated through derm during his med training. Let me tell you, checking the anal crease, labia, and between the toes pretty much separates out the dedicated dermies from those who should have found work with the cosmetics industry. If your derm is not checking those places thoroughly I would find a new one. DH did see patients on that rotation where cancerous moles where found in those areas . . .

I need to do this. I saw a dermatologist for the first time to check a rash. While I was there, he did a quick check of back, chest,arms. I'll see if he does a FULL exam, if not I'll go somewhere else.

gatorsmom
05-01-2009, 01:32 AM
A big WOW here too. I think I'll be finding myself a female dermatologist. This stuff scares me.

JTsMom
05-01-2009, 08:06 AM
I've been meaning to do this for years, and never gotten around to it. I'm so glad I read this, b/c I had no idea how thorough it was!

cono0507
05-01-2009, 08:54 AM
I used to go yearly but have let it slide for the past two years. This was a good reminder for me to get back to it! I have female dermatologists too.

NancyJ_redo
05-01-2009, 01:11 PM
I completely agree that you should be comfortable when doing this, but if you limit the scan, please go back and get a complete one. The melanoma my physician discovered was on my breast, on a freckle that I had had for years and never would have suspected was an issue.....perhaps he is part of a group and can switch the scheduling to a partner tomorrow?......

My DH suggested last night that I just limit the scan, but I was thinking exactly as you suggested - if I do a partial scan now, I'll just need to go back to a different derm for the full scan, so best not to even waste anyone's time. So I ended up canceling this morning's appt (the dr doesn't have any partners working with him) and now I need to find a female derm. And just like you, I had a lot of sun exposure as a child and have a lot of freckles and moles, plus a family history of melanoma, so I really need to go get this done. And since I'm no spring chicken, I have years of sun exposure to worry about ;)

trales
05-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Wow. I guess I need to get on the waiting list for this. Who knew. Any other regular medical things we should be doing.

jd11365
05-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Today is 3 years since my Melanoma diagnosis.

No such thing as only looking in visible areas, but I will say I don't get the labia or "butt crack" check. He does look under my breasts and everywhere else. I don't know if I have more freckles/moles now or biopsy sites. I only wish there was an actual "scan" like a CAT scan, but for skin exams. My doctor (actually a PA) originally missed my Melanoma because it didn't look like one. That, and he was a moron, but I digress.
We can only hope whoever is looking at us knows what they're looking for.

Don't sweat it. It takes no time and it very important. I was not a sun lover, it just happened. My best friend from HS died at 30 the year prior to my diagnosis. Corie lost her mom in her 40s. Don't worry if he sees a boobie or two. ;)

TwinFoxes
05-01-2009, 02:03 PM
I will say I don't get the labia or "butt crack" check. He does look under my breasts and everywhere else.

This may be a little TMI...but I had a coworker who's mom had cancer. I innocently asked where? He looked a little uncomfortable and said "on her vulva." I recovered enough to express my concern for her. If I were him I would have just lied. We were friends, but I'm sure his mom didn't want him telling random people where her lesion was! And let me tell you that is the LAST time I'll ask that question. But I did learn that you can get skin cancer "down there."

veronica
05-01-2009, 02:17 PM
This may be a little TMI...but I had a coworker who's mom had cancer. I innocently asked where? He looked a little uncomfortable and said "on her vulva." I recovered enough to express my concern for her. If I were him I would have just lied. We were friends, but I'm sure his mom didn't want him telling random people where her lesion was! And let me tell you that is the LAST time I'll ask that question. But I did learn that you can get skin cancer "down there."

Yes-yes-I know I am all over this thread, I know, but thank you for sharing this. I was shocked when we discussed this. I keep my underwear on and he gently moves it down and requested that when I go for my yearly gyn, that they thoroughly look (lucky for me that my yearly was a week after finding my melanoma so it worked out). He also suggested that the eye Dr. take a good look at the eye area too and did discuss how the "anal" area is an area that people are surprised to hear that melanoma can grow....

I'm only 31 and am so grateful to have gotten my "reality check" as early as I did. Now, I feel like I am the poster-child (lady) for getting these checks! Hope everyone does....