PDA

View Full Version : How do you cover your mouth when coughing--hand or arm?

justlearning
04-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Ever since DS was in preschool, he's been taught to use his inner elbow to cover his mouth, so I usually do the same. I understand that it's better so you don't get the germs on your hands. When I'm wearing lipstick or lipgloss, though, I don't want to get it on my clothes so I then use my left hand (I'm right handed and touch more surfaces and shake hands with my right). I still feel like I'm doing something wrong, though, when using my hand.

I just watched a press conference today where the highest health official in our state started coughing ironically while speaking about the swine flu. He covered his mouth with his right hand while coughing (and I'm guessing that it's likely his hand-shaking hand). I was surprised to see him doing so.

So what do you do?

shawnandangel
04-30-2009, 04:03 PM
I cough and sneeze into my upper left arm. I do not use my hands.

hez
04-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Elbow.

DS's babysitter (home DCP) emphasizes elbows, as did his preschool. It took a little retraining, but I learned to do the same. My friend who worked at a hospital supply company has always used her elbow. She also bleaches the heck out of every bathroom & kitchen surface after having cleaned all that hospital equipment for years.

citymama
04-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Shoulder or crook of elbow is supposed to be the right way. If you cough into your hand, wash it to prevent spreading germs.

smiles33
04-30-2009, 04:23 PM
I will try to cover my cough inside of the elbow when I remember, but I grew up coughing in my hand so if I cough there accidentally, I'll wash it or use Purell if I'm at my desk and can't leave immediately.

rlu
04-30-2009, 04:33 PM
elbow, I think they call it the dracula cough. I grew up using my hands though, so it took a bit to change over a few years ago.

KrisM
04-30-2009, 04:34 PM
I do shoulder or elbow, as do the kids.

s7714
04-30-2009, 05:04 PM
I was always taught to use my hand and it's been a hard habit to break. I use my arm now though. I read in a magazine a couple years ago that between not covering your cough at all and coughing into your hand it's actually worse to use your hand because you spread more germs onto more things that way (since you touch so many things). Don't know if that's accurate, but it prompted me to start doing the arm method!

justlearning
04-30-2009, 05:14 PM
It sounds like you all use your arm, as I always do at home too. But when I'm out wearing nice clothes and have on lipstick, I don't want to get lipstick on my clothes. So how do you manage to cover your arm without getting your clothes stained? Do you keep your mouth off of your arm and just cough into it? When I've tried that in church, I've felt like I'm still coughing on the person next to me or in front of me which is why I've done the left-hand covering as described above.

Anyone want to tell me how to do the arm cough with lipgloss on?

calv
04-30-2009, 05:15 PM
we all use our arms

malphy
04-30-2009, 05:16 PM
I was taught to use my hands but when your hands are full the arm does the trick. Now I only snaeeze into my arm/shoulder.

maestramommy
04-30-2009, 05:18 PM
I cough and sneeze into my elbow. I got that tip from a 4th grade teacher. Makes a lot of sense. Now if I could just teach my kids that skill! I'm still working on getting Dora to cover her mouth period!

salsah
04-30-2009, 06:54 PM
i'm trying to change. i always use my hand (my right hand too!) just because that is how i was taught as a kid and it is hard habit to break. i'm teaching dd to use her arm (inside of the elbow) and fortunately her school encourages the same. I think(hope) that most schools teach that now.

neeleymartin
04-30-2009, 07:38 PM
into the elbow.