PDA

View Full Version : I HATE my green pans!!!

katydid1971
04-30-2009, 08:44 PM
I've had two of these things for about a year now and I totally hate them. They start out ok but the older they get the less well they work. The only bright side is teh things are cheap. Now I want to get a Le Creuset fry pan but since money is tight I am only going to get 1 right now. So my question is which size do you use the most? Also since I'm asking which color do you prefer, kiwi or caribbean?
Thanks!!!

kayte
04-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Do you have an outlet near you? That's where I got mine.

larig
04-30-2009, 11:37 PM
This probably won't help much, but...I have a couple of the kiwi. I love the color, and it really works in our kitchen. However, I just saw my MIL's carribean blue stock pot and I'm envious. I think I'm going to add some carribean blue to my collection when I can next get a pan, but then again, I'm not too concerned about having a full set.

ohiomom1121
05-01-2009, 08:21 AM
I just wanted to say I totally sympathize about the Green Pans, I got suckered with them too. Total junk. They are awesome for about a month, and then it all goes down hill. Good luck with the new pans.

maydaymommy
05-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Sorry if this is hijacking, but while on the LeCreuset topic, could you please tell me what is so great about them? Why switch? Benefits?

thanks!

The Review Mommy
05-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Cooking with these pans are totally different then cooking with non-stick cookware. It will take a while to get used to if you've never worked with them before.

I taught myself by watching the new Martha show and her Fast Food show on PBS, reasearching on chowhound.com, and checking out some cookbooks at my local library. Oh, and signing up for a class at my local community college. Cooking like chefs is totally different then cooking like your Mother. Its not hard, actually becomes easy, fast and fun. I love it, though at first I was frusterated with my new green cooking and bakeware.
http://www.marthastewart.com/affiliateinfo

http://www.marthastewart.com/everyday

http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/41

Here are some of my favs. The link to my cookbook list isn't working fight now, will post later:
http://www.amazon.com/Old-Classic-Cookbooks-Food-Books/lm/21DYUJV94RJLR/ref=cm_lmt_fvsy_f_4_rysdsd0

Just give it some time and most importantly read up on it and practice. Good luck!

gatorsmom
05-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Sorry if this is hijacking, but while on the LeCreuset topic, could you please tell me what is so great about them? Why switch? Benefits?

thanks!

I started buying them when I would see them in the Direct Buy sale catalog (which had them at a considerable mark-down). I have a few of them but only use 3 of them very often. My favorite is the 9qt dutch oven which has a flat bottom and is great for frying a lot of food and then adding sauce and other things to the pot. Also good for soups and roasts. I never fill it- I think the 7.5 qt would have been a better size for our family. I also have the 5 qt braiser which I love for, well, frying and braising. I have a cast iron skillet but use the braiser much, much more often instead. I also have the 8 qt stock pot and the 16qt stock pot. I use the 8qt all. the. time for boiling. I love it. I never use the 16qt. I thought I'd use it for canning but then realized it would probably get scratched by my canning equipment. I hope, one day, to make my own broths so maybe then I"ll use it. I also have a 1.25qt enameled sauce pan which I rarely use because it is so dang heavy for making simple sauces.

My 9qt dutch oven (or they call them french ovens :)) is in cobalt blue which I love. My 8qt stock pot is in kiwi which is very pretty. My braiser is in Dune which is an off-white and that's nice too. I prefer the reds and blues, but they are all gorgeous colors.

As for why these are great pots, well, they have a lifetime guarantee. I know people who have sent in 45 year old pots and were given a new one. They are a great, old company. Their products will last a very, very long time. And they are a very healthy way to cook. The only downside is the initial price and the care you have to use with the enamel (no metal utensils).

SASM
05-02-2009, 12:37 AM
OP,

Sorry you hate the pans, BUT, thank you for the post. I actually bought the Green Pan 8" frypan today for my AM eggs and am now planning on returning it. THANK YOU!

As for LC colors, I have a Flame (red) and a Caribbean in different sizes. I LOVE both colors but the Caribbean is just soooo striking! :) Ohhh...as for the lifetime warranty...they DO crack when dropped. I have a stone floor in my kitchen. The drop didn't hurt the floor but it certainly hurt my beloved pot and lid. :( I do not think that it is under warranty now that it was dropped.