PDA

View Full Version : Synthroid - in case the kids take on of your pills

Jen841
04-30-2009, 09:46 PM
I learned my lesson (and have taken action to prevent it again)... long story short I MAY have given the kids a synthroid in error tonight in place of their fluride vitamin. Called the Ped and Poison Control. One dose (a LOW dose) should not be a problem. They get concerned at around 5 pills (and a dose more than 5X what I have). In case someone else does this, wanted this to be out there of they do a search.

Give me the bad Mommy award tonight! DH is traveling and it has been a long week with work and parenting.

Not sure if I even did it. So much was going on when I grabbed the vitamins.

Why are the terrible 2's continuing to 3?

Bedtime for Mommy!

newg
04-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the info!
I also take synthroid and have those, along with my other meds, in the med. cabinet in the bathroom.
Dd doesn't take any meds yet, but keeping our meds seperate in the future might be a good idea for me!!!

Glad everything worked out ok for you!!

niccig
04-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Good to know.
How much of dose do you need to worry about it? My dose is 125 mcg, I wonder if one pill of that would be too much. I do keep them up high, but DS keeps being able to reach things...maybe I need a locking medicine case or something like that...

frgsnlzrds
04-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Don't beat yourself up too much. It happens. Once I left a bottle of Tums out on the table and when DD woke up she helped herself to half a bottle.

Jen841
05-01-2009, 09:51 AM
... depending on their weight. Both of my kids (2 years apart) weigh 41 lbs and 100 mcg should not do a thing for them especially since they just ate. Ped told me not to worry, but Poison Control would have the clear info at their fingertips. Poison Control said kids get into synthroid all the time, not in my house!

Funny, a magical drug for me if I don't take it, but no impact to them... I am sure that is b/c it is a maintence type drug.

o_mom
05-01-2009, 11:01 AM
... depending on their weight. Both of my kids (2 years apart) weigh 41 lbs and 100 mcg should not do a thing for them especially since they just ate. Ped told me not to worry, but Poison Control would have the clear info at their fingertips. Poison Control said kids get into synthroid all the time, not in my house!

Funny, a magical drug for me if I don't take it, but no impact to them... I am sure that is b/c it is a maintence type drug.

Good to know about the Synthroid! I keep my bottle up high with the meds and then fill a childproof daily dispenser that I keep up behind the kitchen sink.

I love me some Poison Control! ;) They are always so nice and never ask the obvious question of how you could be so idiotic to let your kid get into something. :ROTFLMAO:

Off the top of my head..

Ds1 - ate a house plant - no problem
Ds2 - 1/4 bottle of infant tylenol - not enough to go to the ER
Ds3 - mouthful of laudry detergent - watch for vomiting

I know there were more, but those are all that come to mind.

niccig
05-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Good to know about the Synthroid! I keep my bottle up high with the meds and then fill a childproof daily dispenser that I keep up behind the kitchen sink.

I love me some Poison Control! ;) They are always so nice and never ask the obvious question of how you could be so idiotic to let your kid get into something. :ROTFLMAO:

Off the top of my head..

Ds1 - ate a house plant - no problem
Ds2 - 1/4 bottle of infant tylenol - not enough to go to the ER
Ds3 - mouthful of laudry detergent - watch for vomiting

I know there were more, but those are all that come to mind.

Windex...they told me it was mostly water and that he would need to drink a lot of it for it to be a concern...

Where do you get your childproof dispenser?

o_mom
05-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Windex...they told me it was mostly water and that he would need to drink a lot of it for it to be a concern...

Where do you get your childproof dispenser?

Walgreens, IIRC. You have to push a tab on one end of it to be able to open the little compartments.

clc053103
05-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks, I have "lost" a synthroid on the floor before, now I know I don't have to totally panic! DS manages to open anything childproof- learned the hard way after he drank a bottle of benadryl and one of tylenol at 2 1/2.

The terrible 2's is nothing compared to the life threatening 3's....

bubbaray
05-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Sorry you had to find this out!

ITA with omom. I LOVE Poison Control. OMG, I have called them for the strangest of reasons over the years and they ALWAYS are soooooo nice. Our vet had me call for our dog once -- dumba$$ dog licked the plumbing adhesive off the white plumbing pipes for our sprinkler system. Has HUGE skull poison warnings on it. The Poison Control people didn't even laugh. they were sooooo nice.

I've also called them when I gave DD#1 double the dose of doctor-ordered cold medication. Whoops.