PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy this stroller on Craigslist?

marit
04-30-2009, 10:30 PM
I was looking through Craigslist for a Mac Easy Traveller, and I found one for $35 (great price). It turns out that the seller also bought it used so I would be the third user. I am not sure I am comfortable with that. Here is the email I got form the seller:

"I bought the stroller from a friend about 7 months ago. My son just grew out of his infant car seat, but he's a big boy. My daughter was in hers for MUCH longer. The stroller was originally bought about 1.5 years old, I believe. I really loved this stroller and always received compliments on it--you really don't see the Maclaren frame around much... The storage basket is HUGE and can handle a lot of items. I miss it!

As for the condition of the stroller, it's great. The storage basket is made of a tough mesh material and is pinned down in the center by a permanent button. Mine has since come loose in the center, but the basket itself is completely in tact and securely fastened to the frame. It folds and locks quickly and works fine. It's nice and compact for easy storage. It is very light weight, so it's easy to manipulate (esp. when still recovering from birth, etc)."

What would you do???

Thanks!

ETA - I hesitated too long and she sold it to someone else... bummers. I will keep on looking on Craigslist, I have 3.5 more months to go!

alirebco
04-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Definitely, especially for that price! We have the Mac Easy Traveller and used it for about that long and I have lent it to a friend but will also use it for our next child. I found it so much better than the other snap n go frames. You can always go there and check it out first before buying.

mariza
04-30-2009, 10:47 PM
I would! Even though you are the 3rd user, they are generally used for short periods of time so I'm sure you will find it is in good condition. Plus you can re-sell for at least $25 when you are done. Good find!

SomeoneLikeYou
05-01-2009, 09:01 AM
I wouldn't be concerned about being a 3rd user as long as the item was as described when I got there. I'd say something like "I'd love to come take a look at it and put DC in to see if he/she likes it before I decide. Is this okay?" Then, if you get there and don't like what you see, you have an 'out' by saying DC doesn't fit as well as you'd have liked?

Also, it's good to take these used (and new, for that matter) strollers for a spin with a baby in it before buying!!

purpelina
05-01-2009, 08:54 PM
I wouldn't be concerned about being a 3rd user as long as the item was as described when I got there. I'd say something like "I'd love to come take a look at it and put DC in to see if he/she likes it before I decide. Is this okay?" Then, if you get there and don't like what you see, you have an 'out' by saying DC doesn't fit as well as you'd have liked?

Also, it's good to take these used (and new, for that matter) strollers for a spin with a baby in it before buying!!

Second that. I'd point out that the seller is a honest person and tells you the "real age" of the stroller. Often times when you buy on CL ppl will say they were the only owners, while infact they might be 2nd or 3rd or whatever person. And while it might be an issue when you buy a real / full featured stroller, the frame doesn't get that much use, and can certainly last through several children. Besides, strollers are not computers, when an "older version" is so much worse than the newer one. This is especially true for Maclaren strollers. Sure, the manufacturers change fabrics and nitpick on small things, but the body of the stroller stays the same pretty much. And with the frame, what do you have? Just that, the frame, and it's really well made, very tough, and built to last.

I would just go ahead and buy this, or in the meantime someone else can snatch it up. Sometimes ppl price things low to sell them fast, not because something is "wrong" with the item. On our local Cl mac easy travellers usually are priced around 40 and 50 (sometimes even at 60! but I don't know of course for how much they eventually sell). If there's an ad for 35 it goes away within a day or two.

purpelina
05-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Oh, I just noticed your comment that the frame sold. Well, you still have time :0
One thing though, tell us why you don't feel comfortable knowing you'll be a 3rd (or whatver) user? I recently sold some baby items through CL and several times heard that from first time parents (whereas second and third timers were happy to snatch up the deal)
If there's a medical reason to it (say, allergy, and you won't know for sure if the stroller was ever kept in a home with pets) that one should either buy new or from someone you know.
Otherwise, if the item is in good condition, why not? Sometimes ppl sell things after a very short period of owning them. And not because it's a "bad stroller", but because it turned out to be "wrong" stroller for their life style. Or they don't like the pattern any more :)
Just make sure you check out the item at a store first, so that you know how it looks and performs when new. Then you will have a good idea of the condition. or take an experienced friend with you (mom of 2 for example :)

marit
05-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Oh, I just noticed your comment that the frame sold. Well, you still have time :0
One thing though, tell us why you don't feel comfortable knowing you'll be a 3rd (or whatver) user? I recently sold some baby items through CL and several times heard that from first time parents (whereas second and third timers were happy to snatch up the deal)
If there's a medical reason to it (say, allergy, and you won't know for sure if the stroller was ever kept in a home with pets) that one should either buy new or from someone you know.
Otherwise, if the item is in good condition, why not? Sometimes ppl sell things after a very short period of owning them. And not because it's a "bad stroller", but because it turned out to be "wrong" stroller for their life style. Or they don't like the pattern any more :)
Just make sure you check out the item at a store first, so that you know how it looks and performs when new. Then you will have a good idea of the condition. or take an experienced friend with you (mom of 2 for example :)

To answer your question, I was hesitant about being the third user because I thought the frame might be too worn out. I realize there is no fabric, but the wheels, the fold, the breaks, all these things can get a little squeaky with time.

I would have just gone over to check it out, but the woman lives over an hour away from me, and I didn't want to drive unless I was sure I was buying it.

purpelina
05-02-2009, 06:22 PM
To answer your question, I was hesitant about being the third user because I thought the frame might be too worn out. I realize there is no fabric, but the wheels, the fold, the breaks, all these things can get a little squeaky with time.

OK, I see. Well, that's true for gracos and other lower end strollers. To be honest, I've never heard a squeeky mac :)
But driving an hour kind of cancels out the good deal. Well, something else comes along, maybe closer to where you live, and you have time to wait.