PDA

View Full Version : WWYD w/a sick kid?

frgsnlzrds
04-30-2009, 11:03 PM
You guys must think my kids are always sick, but I have another question! Tonight DD was a little less energetic than usual. She cuddled with me for 2 whole hours and had a fever of 100.2. She wouldn't drink, told me she was cold, and has a runny nose. I suspect a sore throat. Then she started throwing up. There is no on call doc or nurse at my pediatrician's office. What would you do? TIA

sste
04-30-2009, 11:20 PM
I would give pedialyte to drink and call your doc tomorrow. I would also give children's tylenol. Temps are higher in the evening so it may be that tomorrow morning things look better. Also, I would not jump to the conclusion that its a dread strain of flu!

s_gosney
04-30-2009, 11:22 PM
*I* would want to just stay home, let her take it easy, and watch to make sure she stayed hydrated.
DH would want her taken to the urgent care. Discussion/argument would ensue and likely I would then take her to the urgent care. ;)
We have a great pediatric urgent care here. Any chance you have something like that available to you? If not, I would just call the ped in the morning unless the symptoms worsen significantly.

frgsnlzrds
04-30-2009, 11:34 PM
DH would want her taken to the urgent care. Discussion/argument would ensue and likely I would then take her to the urgent care. ;)

This is the exact opposite of my house, but lately I feel DH is getting frustrated with me. I'll probably just let her sleep with me and call in the morning. But I want to talk to her doctor now! lol We are a mile away from the hospital, as as far as I'm concerned, the only benefit to living in the middle of nowhere is there is literally no wait in the ER. But I won't push him tonight.

egoldber
05-01-2009, 07:27 AM
It sounds like a normal cold to me. Why would you take her to urgent care?

JTsMom
05-01-2009, 07:46 AM
*I* would want to just stay home, let her take it easy, and watch to make sure she stayed hydrated.

:yeahthat:

Momof3Labs
05-01-2009, 08:38 AM
As long as she stops vomiting and isn't dehydrated, I wouldn't do anything except keep her home. I would not take her to the ER or urgent care - the germs that fly around in those places are much worse than the mild virus she appears to have!!

Tylenol and Pedialyte certainly can't hurt and sound like a good first line of attack.

JBaxter
05-01-2009, 09:01 AM
thats not sick enough for mine to go to the ped. Odds are they will pick up something else while you are waiting for them to tell you its viral and treat with fluids rest and tylonel/motrin as needed. I dont even treat with fever reducer till over 101. If after 3 days of the same symptoms then I consider the peds office.