PDA

View Full Version : Best Umbrella Stroller for under or around $200? Travel, City & 'Burbs

iheartjuppy
05-01-2009, 10:01 AM
We're heading to DC in a few weeks and I refuse to pack our huge beast Peg Pliko P3 (don't get me started on the buyer's remorse!). My son will be 1 next week :yay: and is 20 pounds. My mom will be taking him around the city - mostly city sidewalks, etc. during the day. I'm sure there will be quite a bit of sun but expect the surfaces to be fairly smooth.

My biggest needs are:
Good sunshade
Lightweight (12 pounds or under, ideally)
Under $200 ($225 TOPS)
EASY to collapse/carry

I'd figured I'd get the Maclaren Triumph because the Volo is TOO bare bones, but now I'm reading more and more and liking the sound of the Quest but am open to other brands. The Bob and Baby Joggers are a little out of our price range right now, so I'd love to hear others' experiences.

What is your go-to stroller for traveling? What has been great/awful?

Thanks in advance! We went to "test drive" the Quest and Triumph last night and they had just sold the floor model of the Triumph so hopefully this weekend we can go try the top recs in person!

newg
05-01-2009, 11:45 AM
We bought one of the combi strollers....I liked having the five point harness and the storage basket underneath is elastic so it's a little easier to shove stuff in there....I also like having the bar across the front for dd...she likes to lean forward....and it has a cup attachment for dd.....also has one handle bar for me...vs....the two handles that most have........some don't like combi strollers, but I haven't found anything that makes me wish I didn't get it......

We were also looking at the graco Impo (I think that's the name).....but I was worried about how easy the straps could be unbuckled by me.....and possibly dd down the road....

WatchingThemGrow
05-01-2009, 11:59 AM
The Triumph has been great and easy to deal with on subways, airplanes, over the shoulder, etc. We find the universal organizer very helpful!

SomeoneLikeYou
05-01-2009, 12:24 PM
I believe with a sale or coupon, and buying online with free shipping and no tax, that the Baby Jogger Mini would fit all of your must-haves. It may be a *touch* over $225 but I'm not 100% sure on that.

SomeoneLikeYou
05-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Yes, I just checked joggingstroller.com and the Mini is $230 and free shipping. Lots of the color choices are on backorder but the really pretty green and gray one has 2 left still :)

arivecchi
05-01-2009, 12:46 PM
I would definitely do a Maclaren Triumph or Volo for traveling. We have used our Triumph in many travels and it is great. It is super light, has a carrying strap and fits anywhere (planes and cars). My toddler son loves it and has used it since he was about 8 months old without any problems. The shade is a bit skimpy, but I think the pros outweigh that con when what you need most is ease of use when traveling.

arivecchi
05-01-2009, 12:51 PM
BRU has Triumphs on sale for a good price. You may be able to find one at your local store. We also have the organizer that WTG mentioned. It is great as well.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2612876&CAWELAID=107506734

bubbaray
05-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Hmmm, I'd probably go with a Mini. Great sunshade, easy to push (larger wheels than the Macs) and easy fold. The weight is probably about the same as your P3 though.

If you want lightweight with a recline (does your DS still sleep in the stroller?), the Quest is your best bet. Albeebaby often has good deals, especially on older models or less popular colors. It does have small wheels (which makes it not great over sidewalk cracks in cities, for example) and a not great sunshade.

The Mac Volo is your lightest option, but it has no recline, small wheels like the Quest and not a great sunshade.

Also, and this can be huge, the Macs are SUPER tippy. We found this SOOOO aggravating at Disneyland this past week. So freakin' aggravating, I can't begin to tell you how many times DH and I wanted to stomp on our Volo. The Volo worked great for our trip to Maui when we didn't have stuff on it. But, at Disney, we really had the strollers loaded up and it always tipped. AHHHHH.

So, my vote would be for a Mini. HTH

strollerqueen
05-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Hmmm, I'd probably go with a Mini. Great sunshade, easy to push (larger wheels than the Macs) and easy fold. The weight is probably about the same as your P3 though.

If you want lightweight with a recline (does your DS still sleep in the stroller?), the Quest is your best bet. Albeebaby often has good deals, especially on older models or less popular colors. It does have small wheels (which makes it not great over sidewalk cracks in cities, for example) and a not great sunshade.

The Mac Volo is your lightest option, but it has no recline, small wheels like the Quest and not a great sunshade.

Also, and this can be huge, the Macs are SUPER tippy. We found this SOOOO aggravating at Disneyland this past week. So freakin' aggravating, I can't begin to tell you how many times DH and I wanted to stomp on our Volo. The Volo worked great for our trip to Maui when we didn't have stuff on it. But, at Disney, we really had the strollers loaded up and it always tipped. AHHHHH.

So, my vote would be for a Mini. HTH

Bet you were wishing for your p3! ;)

citymama
05-01-2009, 01:10 PM
UppaBaby Vistas get good reviews and cost about $100.

bubbaray
05-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Bet you were wishing for your p3! ;)

YES! I actually almost emailed you from the park, LOL.

Next trip to Disney we will definitely take the P3.

SomeoneLikeYou
05-01-2009, 01:41 PM
I have no idea how much a Pliko weighs but the BJCM is 17lbs. In case that helps (or doesn't)!! :)

mrsjde
05-01-2009, 02:51 PM
We have had great success traveling with our Triumph.

I am an urban dweller who also used mine on a day basis ( we just replaced it) and found it to be perfect for city living.

iheartjuppy
05-01-2009, 03:39 PM
citimama - ??? A quick search pulled up UppaBaby Vistas in the $600 range?

bubbaray - DS does still sleep in the stroller, it's our surefire way to get him to conk out on those days he just doesn't think he needs a nap!

The Baby Jogger looks good but quite a bit heavier than we were looking for. Though the canopy, the single handlebar, and the quick fold demo are pretty tempting! I'll look for retailers around here that carry it.

I love the look of the Maclaren and the friends I have that own them are pretty die hard fans but the tippy-factor is a big drawback for me -- I'm a major over-packer!

iheartjuppy
05-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Sorry to double post, but we just got back from Babies R Us where we "test drove" a bunch of strollers. I think the Maclarens are out - they felt WAY too tippy to us :( We loved the Baby Jogger City Mini (thanks for the rec - we probably wouldn't have tried it without reading about it here, the floor model was orange!). We also liked the Joovy Kooper, so now we're trying to decide between the two. I'm going to do more research but here's what my initial pro/con list looks like (just between the two).

Joovy:
Pros: cupholders (mesh) for mom & baby, great sunshade, more room for baby to grow (lengthwise)/more legroom, easy to fold, easy access storage
Cons: no handle or easy way to carry when folded, two handles

BJCM:
Pros: great handle, two viewing windows, baby seemed to LOVE this one, fantastic folding and easy to carry, great sunshade, SUPER easy to fold
Cons: crappy storage - no cupholders for baby or mom, a little less legroom for baby

Maneuverability was great on both.

Now I'm torn!

GraceH
05-02-2009, 12:29 AM
We bought one of the combi strollers....I liked having the five point harness and the storage basket underneath is elastic so it's a little easier to shove stuff in there....I also like having the bar across the front for dd...she likes to lean forward....and it has a cup attachment for dd.....also has one handle bar for me...vs....the two handles that most have........some don't like combi strollers, but I haven't found anything that makes me wish I didn't get it......

We were also looking at the graco Impo (I think that's the name).....but I was worried about how easy the straps could be unbuckled by me.....and possibly dd down the road....

I have the Graco Mosaic (which is similar to the Ipo, but comes with the front bumper bar & takes a car seat), and have no problem with DS undoing the harness so far (he's 18 mo), it was a good budget choice for us as our do-all stroller (~$100) -- it is a bit heavier than a Mac (but it doesn't tip with my stuff on the handles!), but to me the price and car-seat compatibility lead me to fall in love (oh, and the handle height is way better than the traditional basic umbrella, it has an under basket, reclining seat, and parent cupholder)
If you are looking for solely a city travel stroller, without car seat possibilities though, I would investigate the Mac Quest...

SASM
05-02-2009, 12:43 AM
I haven't read the responses and am not up on the latest and greatest, however, I've had my Mac Quest for almost 6 years and 3 kids and it is still my go-to stroller. I actually prefer it to my P&T. LOVE IT ~ 12#, easy reclining seat, easy to wash, easy to fold (not one-handed but close). Not the greatest canopy but you can easily use a Hug-a-Bub.

I will say that I saw a black Mac Volo at TJ Maxx for $75 this week. I believe this weighs about 8# but doesn't recline.

Good luck with the decision. I hope that you do not lose sleep over it like I used to. :) Have a wonderful trip and happy birthday to your little one! :)

MontrealMum
05-02-2009, 12:59 AM
As Sharyn said above, you can buy an aftermarket sunshade for a Mac. We have this one: Protect-a-bub (http://www.target.com/Protect-UPF%2B50-Compact-Stroller-Sunshade/dp/B000NV5VDW/sr=1-1/qid=1241240195/ref=sr_1_1/179-3473668-2345763?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Asunshade&page=1) We have a Quest and are happy with what it does and how light it is. We have lots of stairs so weight is an issue. We bought a Volo for my mom's, but if you want a recline, the Quest is better. The newer models all have the connected brakes (so much easier) and carrying straps. Not trying to sway you one way or another, but thought I'd point to a few options you might not know about.

strollerqueen
05-02-2009, 03:27 AM
YES! I actually almost emailed you from the park, LOL.

Next trip to Disney we will definitely take the P3.

I wish you had! It would have been "Strollerqueen to the Rescue!", as I swooped in with my identical Revi black P3...oh by the way, I am testing the Si' now, and I think you would really, really love it...

iheartjuppy
05-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Weird, I posted last night and it disappeared into cyberspace!

We went to BRU last night and "test drove" several strollers. The Maclarens just felt way too tippy for us, so we crossed them off the list. We were trying to narrow it down between the Joovy Kooper or the Baby Jogger City Mini - I think we're going with the BJCM. The folding/carrying ease was a HUGE factor. The Joovy has better storage but I feel like it's a lot easier to buy an accessory (bag, whatever) than it is to try to lug an awkward stroller.

They're both heavier than I'd like but other than that and the storage issue (underneath, no cupholder), the BCJM seems perfect. And I can live with both of those "cons"! Thanks for the recs - we never would have tried it without the recs from this board! The only one they had in stock was orange and I probably would have just passed it right by!

Found a great deal online from an authorized retailer, so I think we're going to order it today! I'm off to search this board for the must-have accessories that work best with the BJCM (especially baby console/bar and parent console). The only thing I'm nervous about is gate-checking it for our flight since I already love it!

bubbaray
05-02-2009, 10:16 AM
OP, I think you'll find the quality and customer service MUCH better with the Baby Jogger than the Joovy. IMO, BJ has probably the best CS in the stroller business. Between the BJ and the Joovy, I'd go with the BJ in a heartbeat.

GL!