PDA

View Full Version : Bumbo chairs worth getting?

deenzy
05-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Hi I'm having twins in August. It seems like everyone is on the Bumbo Chair craze. Can anyone tell me if they're worth registering for? I've been careful to just register for the things I will actually need. I really don't have a big house. So, if anyone can give me there opinion of the chair that would be great. Also, if you think I should register for it, do I register for one or two. Thanks

hellokitty
05-01-2009, 12:00 PM
I never had one, but had a friend who had one. She only used it for a few months and then sold it and complained that it wasn't worthwhile. Personally, I don't see what the big fuss about. Plus, it's not very portable, it's huge and bulky to travel with it. I think that utilizing a bouncy chair or high chair if you already have one is perfectly fine.

lorinick
05-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Not imo. We had one and returned it. My guy was never into it. I know alot of people like them. My son never looked comfy in it and never wanted to say in it so it went back.

pb&j
05-01-2009, 12:16 PM
DS loved it. He loved to just hang out in it. Best thing ever. DD, not so much. She arches her back when we put her in it, and she doesn't like to spend much time in there. We've barely used it this time around.

veronica
05-01-2009, 12:24 PM
We hated ours. Honestly, if a baby is ready to sit up, they will. Otherwise, we tried it for DS and he hated every second of it and it looked so uncomfortable for him. Plus, when he was close to sitting on his own, putting him in there became dangerous as he would arch his back and wobble the whole thing (and we only ever had it on the floor but I was still terrified). ....

check craigslist if you want to try one out or borrow from a friend

MontrealMum
05-01-2009, 12:40 PM
We have one, and I will admit that it is one of the only baby purchases that I regret. At the time everyone was talking about how great they were, how you could use them (with the tray) for travel dining, allow baby to sit up earlier. I even heard of a woman with a 2 yr old that liked to sit in it to watch tv/videos.

We used ours for probably 2 months. :( If we'd gotten it earlier (I think 4 mos is the min age?) we might have gotten maybe 4 months out of it. Part of this is DS' nature - he just doesn't like to sit still. Once he learned to crawl he never stopped moving. Even now, if he's not sitting on the floor he prefers sitting on big-people furniture. We had to stop using ours because he was trying to fling himself out of it headfirst, and backwards and it was jsut a horrible accident waiting to happen. Now it holds stuffed animals. Yet another thing I need to get off my butt and think about selling.

Looking back I don't see why I thought the Bumbo was such a great addition when we had a perfectly good bouncer which went up to a high weight. Save yourself some money and put it towards a good bouncer instead.

trales
05-01-2009, 01:07 PM
We used it for 2 months, and I loved it and could not live without it for those two months. DD was really into it. Get a used one, or borrow one. The lifespan is short, but if it works for you it works great.

deenzy
05-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks for all the great answers!

JdrKuhnert
05-01-2009, 01:37 PM
I have one and it really didn't get used that much. DS2 would arch and try to wiggle his way out. He much preferred the Baby Bjorn Babysitter. DS1 actually thought that it was a potty...

Wife_and_mommy
05-01-2009, 01:40 PM
If you want to use one, try consignment stores. I've seen them for less than $15. There were many the time I noticed them.

I never used them with either kiddo.

Melaine
05-01-2009, 01:47 PM
As a mom of twins, I have to say it was one of our favorite and most-used products, for several reasons. They are light and portable, and when you have twins, you have to have several places around the house that you can set them while you do various things, tend to the other baby, or whatever. They got fed in those seats a lot. It was also one of the only ways we were able to get any decent pictures of both the kids together, looking at the camera. I think because my girls (like many twins) were preemies, they fit into those seats for longer than some might. A lot of people don't get a lot of use out of them, but we got months of use. I bought mine for $35 and sold them for $30 each so in my book, totally worth it!

mamaoftwins
05-01-2009, 02:06 PM
As a mom of twins, I have to say it was one of our favorite and most-used products, for several reasons. They are light and portable, and when you have twins, you have to have several places around the house that you can set them while you do various things, tend to the other baby, or whatever. They got fed in those seats a lot. It was also one of the only ways we were able to get any decent pictures of both the kids together, looking at the camera. I think because my girls (like many twins) were preemies, they fit into those seats for longer than some might. A lot of people don't get a lot of use out of them, but we got months of use. I bought mine for $35 and sold them for $30 each so in my book, totally worth it!

:yeahthat: Yes, yes, all of the above. :)

fivi2
05-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Just to disagree with my other twin moms :) I have twins too, but we hated ours. Complete waste of money for us. My girls refused to sit in them and cried and cried.

But I do know people who loved them. So I would say borrow or get it at a consignment store!

Momof3Labs
05-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Had one for DS2 and I got rid of it after we used it a few times. Even at 3 months, he could launch himself out of it - it was very scary. And he was a very mellow kid at that age compared to DS1!

brittone2
05-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Never had one, never missed it. IMO, it has a short lifespan when used appropriately (not using too early or too long), and I've heard too many stories about children tipping backward in them (which even if they aren't on an elevated surface can still lead to a seriously bonked head).

The Review Mommy
05-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Search your craigslist or resale shop. Don't buy new. They are usually priced around $19. I think you will use it more then most Moms because of the twins. I'm a twin Mom so I know. :) My twins wanted to sit up so badly around 5 months and boycotted the bouncer, swing, carseat...anything they had to "lay back" in. They wanted to be up and exploring everything. Especially if you've got one child who's a bit "independent" lol. I think you'll use it. I'd only get one though since one of your twins maybe more of a hudini and get out of it sooner. I'm glad I just got the one instead of two but I did use it enough to justify the $19 price tag. I sold it on Craigslist for the same amount of money. Or you could just borrow it.

We had this FP toy that was "like crack" with my twins. Just make sure you put it on the low volume setting. You can use the two together for an activity center. Both my Twins still liked it at 14 months old, so it does have a long life. I bought mine at Walmart on sale for $20.
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Little-Superstar-Sing-Along-Stage/dp/B000NW2AVC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1241213386&sr=8-1

Congrats on the twins!

Kindra178
05-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Again, it's worth repeating. It's worth it for twins. My guys don't love it, and it's not that good for you anyway, but . . . we keep them by our back door. It's basically how I can get three under three out of house. Love how they are portable too. See if you can get them at twin resales. Don't worry about color either.

gatorsmom
05-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Again, it's worth repeating. It's worth it for twins. My guys don't love it, and it's not that good for you anyway, but . . . we keep them by our back door. It's basically how I can get three under three out of house. Love how they are portable too. See if you can get them at twin resales. Don't worry about color either.

LOL. Again, as a twin's mom voice of dissent- a friend lent me one and my two didn't like it. They could escape easily from them. However, it is true that you will need safe places to set the babies so if they work for you, :thumbsup:.

MmeSunny
05-01-2009, 10:13 PM
We found it to be one of the best baby products ever. Seriously, could not have done with out it. Some reasons:
1. Easy feeding chair that allows child to sit all the way up, but still supported--less likely to choke.
2. Endorsed by our PT. Proper spine/hip positioning that is much better for development than a bouncy/swing etc. (Her opinion/research)
3. Baby can really sit up and see everything that's going on--participate in it more.
4. Easy/soft/light to transport.
5. NO straps to buckle, but the kiddo is still secure.

I do agree on getting a used/discounted one. The life span is short, but if your child likes it, they can be used much longer if the child will sit in them. Our PT uses them for a lot of special needs kids up to age 2-3. They really are the best "seat" developmentally speaking if your child will sit in them. If they arch or don't like them, then they could be dangerous.

deenzy
05-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks for all the great responses. I will see when the time comes and most likely get used ones. There are a ton of them on Ebay.

Momof3Labs
05-01-2009, 10:59 PM
5. NO straps to buckle, but the kiddo is still secure.

I fully disagree with this, after watching my very young guy worm his way out of one. Your child might be fine the first nine times you use it, but the tenth time might be when they crack their head on the floor because they figured out how to squirm out of the seat. I have twins on the way, and this is one item I won't even consider for them for that reason. Yes, I'll need places to put them, but there are plenty of other much safer options.

I'm glad that several parents here used them without incident but I just don't think that they are nearly as safe as people think they are. It's fully dependent on the personality and skill of the baby, which can change from day to day.

HIU8
05-01-2009, 11:20 PM
I don't think it was worth it. Ours was a gift or I would not have had one. DD used it for around 2 months and only for very very short periods (10 minutes or less). I had the tray, but it would not fit b/c DD's legs were super chunky, so we gave up on that. I basically used it as a place to put DD down when I had to use the bathroom (she would be near me). DS, who is 2.5 yrs older liked to sit in it and play also.

Ceepa
05-02-2009, 07:41 AM
We loved ours. After more than one kid it still looks brand new and could resell for all that we spent. It was convenient when we introduced solids and when we were traveling from place to place. We took ours to friends' house when we went over for dinner and they loved the idea of it, too.

jsgless
05-03-2009, 10:15 PM
As a physical therapist, and now a fist time mom, I think the Bumbo is one of the best devices out there. In this era of "back to sleep" and limited tummy time, the Bumbo is just about the only seat that doesn't fully support the kids' heads. Think about it - babies spend lots of time sleeping (on their backs), and then when they are awake, they are in the swing, the bouncer, the car seat - all which fully support their heads. The Bumbo provides the ability to work on your baby's head control, without you having to hold them.

egoldber
05-04-2009, 06:42 AM
I also returned mine as dangerous. If your child is wiggly at all they are not stable and not safe. The second time in the seat, Amy launched herself backward and almost hit her head before I dove to catch her.

infomama
05-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I bought one and took it back the next day. DD2 hated it....

123LuckyMom
05-12-2009, 05:23 PM
My little guy is 6.5 months, and the end of his safe days in the Bumbo is quickly approaching, but I have to tell you that when we got that little chair at 3 mos., it revolutionized my life!!! My DS would sit in it right in front of me as I got myself a drink or did the laundry. I never left him in the chair and walked away (or even turned my back), but I could put him in it and have my hands free for a minute without his being a lumpish obstruction in a sling between me and whatever I needed to handle. He really liked being in the Bumbo, and he wouldn't tolerate being in a swing or an infant seat, because they reclined, and he couldn't look around and be part of the action. Now we use the Bumbo with its tray instead of a high chair. We feed him in it and sit him on the table so he can join the family for dinner. We also have one at his Gran's house. I HIGHLY recommend it, even at full price. For me it was worth every penny!

vball4all
05-13-2009, 04:17 PM
We used Bumbos and Trays for my twins.
They were nice, but not necessary.

We didn't really use the trays that much and I felt they were a little cumbersome to get on and off.
The nice thing about the chairs is that you can prop them up and get a different view of things. Also, it helps them stay in one spot in case they can sit up by themselves, but then roll over to get in to something else.

I recommend just getting a used one or two off of CL or a resale shop (or a Moms of Multiples sale) and let your shower gifts be something you REALLY need. I don't think these chairs are worth $40 each.

junebaby07
05-13-2009, 07:57 PM
We have one but my dd was pretty chubby and didn't really fit in it that well. Maybe it will work out better for us w/ baby #2, but to do over again, I wouldn't get one.

researchedout
05-14-2009, 11:57 AM
We loved it, he loved it. We still keep it around so that he can climb on it. He is very squirmy, but we never had any safety issues.

v2005t
05-18-2009, 05:55 PM
We found it to be one of the best baby products ever.

+1 ! Our DS is 11 months and we are still using it!!!

codex57
05-18-2009, 06:19 PM
We have one. Never found a use for it.

Neatfreak
05-18-2009, 07:43 PM
I am glad that we had one for DD2, but it wasn't a workhorse item of baby gear like the bouncy seat was. The bumbo was actually retired b/w 5-6 months, but now she's happy to sit in it for some of her solid-food meals. It's easier to clean up the bumbo than it is the big Peg highchair!

jacksmomtobe
05-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Another not worth the money. We hardly used ours so I sold it like new on Ebay. I would definitely check out ebay or consignment stores if you think you might like one so that you get a deal.

sak90027
05-19-2009, 11:40 AM
we got one around month 4 and my baby never really liked it too much. we would put him in it and he'd look cute so we'd all admire him then after a few minutes take him out.

Babymakes3
05-19-2009, 12:16 PM
My son loves his! He sits in it while I shower and plays and he's 9 months. We used to use it alot more often before he was sitting unassisted . I suggest finding one on craigslist or a local consignment shop and trying it because you can always resell on craigslist and get your money back. I wouldn't pay more than $15 for one though that way. Also, skip the tray! I think the old ones were better but my son kicks that tray off like its nothing!

deenzy
05-21-2009, 11:32 PM
I found a couple of good used Bumbos on Ebay. Do you think its safe to buy used ones with this swine flu going around? Also, What is the best way to clean and disinfect them when I first purchase them. Thanks

Wife_and_mommy
05-21-2009, 11:45 PM
I found a couple of good used Bumbos on Ebay. Do you think its safe to buy used ones with this swine flu going around? Also, What is the best way to clean and disinfect them when I first purchase them. Thanks

I'd call around locally before you pay for shipping. I'd expect shipping would be hefty.

I use alcohol to disinfect used toys or you could dunk them in soap/hot water.