PDA

View Full Version : can I save my cast-iron skillets?

soontobe
05-01-2009, 01:31 PM
so I know that cast iron is better that teflon for health reasons, but I never knew that there was a special way to take care of them. Mine now have rust on them-can I save them and what is really the way to take care of them? people keep saying "season them" but what in the world does that mean?

THANKS

citymama
05-01-2009, 01:38 PM
You can scour off the rust, yes. I've had that happen too. Start out with a paper towel or sponge and remove everything on the surface, and then use a scouring pad plus soap to get the rust off. Then dry thoroughly. When cleaning cast iron, don't leave it wet as it will rust. Seasoning means using it enough that the cast iron cooking surface improves over time (not a great description, but I'm trying to say it isn't rocket science - it just means using it enough so it gets better with each use). Typically that means not scrubbing it out or soaking after use - wiping down with a paper towel. Just clean them, and use them frequently, and you should be fine!

TwinFoxes
05-01-2009, 01:40 PM
This should help:

http://www.ehow.com/how_114309_remove-rust-cast.html

I would just skip the salt step, and go right to fine steel wool to get the rust off.

Seasoning the pan is super easy, but I would do it before the weather gets too hot no need to run an oven on a hot day.

ETA: once you start using your skillet, you'll love it.

bubbaray
05-01-2009, 01:44 PM
I do that salt/oil scrub on my cast iron pans and my steel wok. I've never needed steel wool -- I use coarse/pickling salt and it works really well.

jerigirl
05-01-2009, 02:37 PM
http://www.wikihow.com/Season-Cast-Iron-Cookware

brittone2
05-01-2009, 04:00 PM
It will take a little work to get them back into shape, but they are tough to destroy, thankfully!! :) We scrub them down w/ coarse sea salt or kosher salt if there are stuck on bits. I'd get off all the rust, and then reseason. No soap if you can at all avoid it, never put them away wet, if you have stuck on stuff, warm water and some scouring w/ the salt usually takes care of it (or I also love my little cheapo Pampered Chef plastic scraper)

Once you get them seasoned (sounds like the PPs have linked you tips...crisco or other shortening works well), and let the seasoning build up, they will be much easier to work with.

BayGirl2
05-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Once you get them unrusted and seasoned, regular cleaning is easy.
When the pan is still slightly warm use water and a brush to get off the food chunks, no soap. Dry it with a paper towel and you're done.

The more you use it, the better seasoned it will become, and the better it is to cook on. There was a thread about cast iron a few days ago that you may want to search for.