PDA

View Full Version : We had a great time at Disneyland!

bubbaray
05-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks to everyone who PMd me and for the great tips here.

We had 3-day ParkHopper passes and did 2 days in DL, 1 day in CA. I think other than Ariel's lunch, we could have totally skipped CA. Once they are old enough for rides, it might be different, but there didn't seem to be much of interest to my girls there. They aren't familiar with most of the newer Disney/Pixar movies, so the Toy Story, Bugs Life, etc. characters were a mystery to them. Aladin wasn't playing on the day we were there, but they would have liked that.

DL, OTOH, was a complete HIT. Seriously, even DD#2 had an awesome time. We basically spent most of our 2 days in Fantasyland. Dumbo and the carosel were huge hits. I couldn't get them on the teacups or Alice in Wonderland. DD#1 loved loved LOVED Its a Small World and must have done that ride at least 4x. She sang the song the whole ride at the top of her lungs.

We didn't do Tomorrowland at all. We did Adventureland and Pooh Corner, and walked through Frontierland. We sang and danced with the MardiGras band in New Orleans square.

We did the Bibbity Bobbity makeover for DD#1 on the morning before our lunch with Ariel. HUGE hit. Seriously HUGE. I highly recommend that. Well worth the $50 (Crown package). Lunch with Ariel was nice -- we met Urquie and her family there! :) :wavey:

We also did breakfast with Minnie, which was fun, except for DD#2 being completely TERRIFIED of any non-human characters. Like, out of her mind terrified. She was fine with Santa at Christmas, so it didn't dawn on me when I booked the trip that that might be a problem. Well, apparently the Easter Bunny a week prior to the trip was NOT a good experience. I would do that breakfast again, though, if for no other reason than the price is cheaper than the IHOP outside of the park and if you book a 1-hr prior to park opening reservation, you get into the park early even without a Magic Morning pass. Sweet.

We stayed at the Howard Johnson and it was nice. Average rooms, but very clean. The kids waterpark ROCKED. Its only a 5 minute walk to Disneyland from there, not 10 minutes.

DD#1 had some behavior issues (see separate plea for help), but overall, we had a good trip. Our flights were uneventful, well except for the Alaska cabin crew serving snacks that were not peanut/treenut allergy safe. Sigh. Thankfully, I grabbed them and had a veritable grocery store of other snacks with me. The TSA staff completely ROCK at both YVR and LAX. On our return, a kindly border agent put us in a faster "family" line (which I've never had happen before!).

BTW, I ordered a Flip Mino and had it waiting for me at the hotel when we checked in. GREAT device. Seriously, LOVE it.

Oh, and thanks to whomever posted the Disney Outlet bargains back in February. I pre-ordered all our tshirts and some souveniers for the girls and saved a bundle. Seriously, I probably saved about $500 doing that. Plus, when the girls woke up on the first morning there, Minnie Mouse had magically left behind 2 stuffed Minnies for them. They loved them! I also saved by buying their Princess costumes here ($20Cdn each) and not at the park (at least $65US each).

Overall, I can't wait to go back. DH wanted to go back when DD#2 was 5 (in 3 years), but I have the girls working on him to go back next year, LOL.

JTsMom
05-01-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm so glad you guys had a great time! :)

I'm trying to hook DH into going back this year.

spunkybaby
05-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Welcome back--so glad you had a good time :)

We'll have to try Bippity Boppity next time we go...it wasn't open yet when we went in March.

We told the kids we'll go back when our DD#2 turns 5 as well (also in 3 years--Melissa, I think our girls are almost exactly the same ages). But we had so much fun that maybe we'll be back sooner than that!

elektra
05-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Yeah! I thought of you guys over the weekend! It makes we want to stay at the HoJo and go 3 days in a row even though I live less than 10 min away. :)

amandabea
05-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Wow, sounds like you giys had a great time! Seriously, though, next time I'm meeting you there! We're planning another one-day trip in November, but I'm going to push DH for two days. I'll have to search your former posts for all the tips.
Welcome back!

Momof3Labs
05-01-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm glad that you had fun!! Our boys have loved their trips to WDW, and I'm trying to figure out how soon we'll be ready to tackle it with 4 kids.

egoldber
05-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Lori, bring the extended family and head down. ;) We went in October with my SIL's twins (3 months old), her 20 month old and my two. The ILs were there and also my other SIL. It was chaos, but fun! :)

Momof3Labs
05-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Lori, bring the extended family and head down. ;) We went in October with my SIL's twins (3 months old), her 20 month old and my two. The ILs were there and also my other SIL. It was chaos, but fun! :)

You haven't met my extended family, have you? ;)

Neatfreak
05-01-2009, 07:58 PM
I am so glad that you guys had such a good time!

egoldber
05-01-2009, 11:16 PM
You haven't met my extended family, have you?

LOL! The fact that it might be worse than mine boggles the mind!

MontrealMum
05-02-2009, 12:03 AM
So glad you all had such a good time. I can't wait until DS is old enough to go, it seems even more exciting than when I was a kid.