PDA

View Full Version : Convince me to keep or return this F'ville bag

hellokitty1
05-01-2009, 04:36 PM
I spent a long time at tjmaxx this afternoon while ds slept in the sling and I picked up this fleurville sling tote for $60:

http://fleurville.com/product/sling-tote
http://fleurville.com/sites/fleurville/files/products/web%20ST%20LBL.jpg (http://fleurville.com/sites/fleurville/files/products/web%20ST%20FF2_0.jpg)

Can you tell me what you love/hate about this bag? f'ville site had a list price if $150 so my price of $60 seems good but quite honestly, I have no idea why it's worth $150 to begin with.

I have a bumblebag backpack I got as a gift but for one, the zipper just broke, and two, i said i would need a larger bag as ds got older for toys, food, bottles when i wean, etc. Even if i got a good deal, i don't want to keep it if it was an impulse buy. I think when i show it to dh, his first comment might be about the "plastic" material. and oh, by the way, the "greenness" of the bag does not make any difference to me. i see one of the features is a "fleece-lined pocket". why is this important? and do the stroller attachments work well/easily? i do like that the shoulder straps are non-skid. nothing urks me more than a full bag that keeps sliding off. i will probably wear as messenger the most if i am carrying the baby. While the backpack style is fubctional, the second strap is a little annoying when i just have it on one shoulder and when dh and i both wear it, our shoulders are different sizes so either he looks like a nerd if he doesn't make them longer or i look like a kid wearing it down at my butt.

if i keep this, i want this to be the last diaper bag i ever buy...well until ds is even older and i just use a LE canvas bag. :-)

tia!

eta: i have done no diaper bag research as it wasn't my plan to buy one today. and i'm also one of those people that has to see it in person. i'll do a forum search on fleurville now.

cdlamis
05-01-2009, 04:53 PM
It is my favorite diaper bag to date (and I have owned 10-15 bags thanks to this addictive forum!). I liked that I could use the long strap to hang over grocery cart handles, stroller handles or use it messenger style.

bubbaray
05-01-2009, 04:57 PM
I have a Sling Tote in chocolate Ogo. I like the print, but I find the bag heavy. Its not my fave bag, but its OK.

ang79
05-02-2009, 01:58 PM
I had one in Sprig, it was beautiful and I used it a few times, but it wasn't a favorite so it got sold. I know lots of mamas that love them though. I could fit everything I needed into it, but then it seemed a bit heavy/bulky. And the laminated exterior kinda bugged me for some reason. Kept it nice looking, but I wanted a more purse looking bag and the lamination to me screamed diaper bag. The long tote straps were nice though, better than other tote style diaper bags.

CiderLogan
05-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Do a search on this board and you'll find lots of older posts about this bag.

I have it and liked it fine -- not bad, not perfect....

aajamu
05-05-2009, 03:18 PM
For $60 it is a good buy. For $150 - uh, not.

The fleece lined pocket is for your sunglasses or camera. Keeps it protected from scratches. The ST shoulder straps were remarkably comfortable for me. And I liked the organization - the interior pockets in the main compartment actually fit diapers and wipes. And I liked that I could wipe it clean, no need to worry about setting the bag down in the sand or grass.

I do like the fact they try to be "green" (no PVC, no lead, no teflon and use recycled water bottles in their ReRun line). PVC and lead are no-nos for me and I don't know why any bag company uses teflon (JJB included - like their bags, hate the fact they insist on teflon coating everything).

The only two issues I had with the sling tote are 1)no exterior bottle pockets, no interior bottle pockets (LAME!!!!) and 2)too small for me. But if there was an interior pocket for a bottle (and not that dumb giant bottle bag they include with many bags) I'd probably still have mine.

hellokitty1
05-05-2009, 04:34 PM
For $60 it is a good buy. For $150 - uh, not.

The fleece lined pocket is for your sunglasses or camera. Keeps it protected from scratches. The ST shoulder straps were remarkably comfortable for me. And I liked the organization - the interior pockets in the main compartment actually fit diapers and wipes. And I liked that I could wipe it clean, no need to worry about setting the bag down in the sand or grass.

I do like the fact they try to be "green" (no PVC, no lead, no teflon and use recycled water bottles in their ReRun line). PVC and lead are no-nos for me and I don't know why any bag company uses teflon (JJB included - like their bags, hate the fact they insist on teflon coating everything).

The only two issues I had with the sling tote are 1)no exterior bottle pockets, no interior bottle pockets (LAME!!!!) and 2)too small for me. But if there was an interior pocket for a bottle (and not that dumb giant bottle bag they include with many bags) I'd probably still have mine.

thanks for the specific comments. they are helpful. i'm likely keeping it. it was a good price and i really, really like that the straps don't slide off the shoulder.