PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Swine Flu...

MMEand1
05-01-2009, 08:21 PM
So my sister calls me just now and here is the conversation:

Sister: I need you to go out right away and buy everyone in your family some masks. They have to be N95. You have to go do it right away.

Me: I'm not buying into the hype that is going around. Everyone is getting hysterical and I am not freaking out over it.

S: You have to do this right away. Just trust me. I can't tell you why, just do it.

Me: Tell me what information you have that would require me to run out and do this.

S: I can't tell you. You just have to trust your sister and do this.

Me: Do you realize that most of the store shelves are completely cleaned out and people are hoarding the hand sanitizer and masks?

S: How do you know this? Have you gone out there to try to buy them?

Me: I'm not going to run out there and try to fight people. The news channels are talking about the fact that there is no sanitizer to be found.

S: You just have to believe me and trust me. I know what I'm talking about.

Me: What information do you have that no one else knows about?

S: Do you know what is going on in the world?

Me: I work in a hospital. I am very well aware of what is going on. I work with nasty stuff everyday.

S: Then you, of anyone, should just trust me and just go get the masks for your family.

Me: I'm not running out to get these masks that have not been shown to prevent any kind of flu. We wash our hands, we cover our mouths when we sneeze - we do what we are supposed to do.

S: I can't believe you don't trust me. That really hurts me that my own sister won't take care of her family and try to protect them.

Me: What information do you have other than what the CDC and the WHO is saying?

S: I can't tell you. You just have to trust me. I just can't talk about it. I'm hanging up because I am really hurt that you don't trust me enough to protect your family. Everyone else in the family is doing this except you.

Click - she hung up...

Guess I should mention that she works for OSI - Office of Special Investigations - with the Air Force and sometimes works with folks from the FBI and NSA. Sometimes this whole "I can't talk about it. You just have to trust me." thing gets on my nerves...

vahnessuh
05-01-2009, 08:52 PM
My friend who's from Mexico has 2 brothers that are doctors and are currently working in the ER in some big hospital there (forgot the name) says that the reports on TV are way overblown. There aren't any "special cases" and that the numbers are not that different from the past years. She even went on to say that she thinks it's a hoax to drive up sales of masks and medicines and whatnot... or to push the whole healthcare bill thing.

bubbaray
05-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Yes, the conspiracy theory "someone is getting rich off of this" is widespread up here.

I just can't get too excited about it. I refilled our EpiPens today at a large pharmacy here and they were sold out of all but the travel/purse sized hand sanitizer and sold out of masks. What-ev-er.

vahnessuh
05-02-2009, 03:09 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090502/ap_on_he_me/med_swine_flu

Guess my friend's brothers are right... there's nothing too special about this case that they haven't seen from the past years....

Ceepa
05-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Yeah, people throwing around the "need to know" line are irritating.

elliput
05-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Guess I should mention that she works for OSI - Office of Special Investigations - with the Air Force and sometimes works with folks from the FBI and NSA. Sometimes this whole "I can't talk about it. You just have to trust me." thing gets on my nerves...

It sounds as if she does this intentionally to push your buttons. I'm with you, until she ponies up some real information and sources, there is no reason to be running with the lemmings.

vludmilla
05-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Well, I am not hysterical at all and it seems to me that the flu is very much over-hyped so I am not really worried BUT...along the lines of what your sister said...my stepsister and her husband work for the NSA and they have high level clearances. We don't really know what she does, but he does some systems/computer analyst type work. Anyway, they called my mom and her husband a week ago and said to be more prepared, I don't know if they mentioned masks, but they did mention stocking up on supplies including disposable gloves. I don't know what to make of it. These are very sober, serious people, and they are higher level government people. They have advanced degrees. I don't take them for hysterical types. But the news reports suggest that this virus isn't so bad. I don't know what to believe.

bubbaray
05-02-2009, 10:52 AM
But, see, with any influenza (bird flu, pig flu whatever), the scenarios are MONTHS long. Seriously. You would have to have a stock of 6m of gloves, masks, food, water, money -- no one in the family would be able to leave the house for a minimum of 6m, possibly longer. That is just not feasible for pretty much anyone now.

gatorsmom
05-02-2009, 07:09 PM
I think the media is doing this because suddenly they don't have the declining economy to scare everyone with anymore. THEY are the ones making the money.

I was trying to buy dust masks to add to our emergeny preparedness kits (which I NEVER expected to use for swine flu) and I couldn't find them anywhere. Everytime I asked I was given this, "oh PULEASE" look. I figure I'll just wait a couple of months and this will have all blown over...