PDA

View Full Version : Making cheesecake and mini cheesecakes

kristenk
05-01-2009, 08:48 PM
For Teacher Appreciation week next week, I volunteered to make itty bitty cheesecakes for the teachers. Think mini-muffin sized.

DD and I made a trial batch yesterday and they were pretty tasty. I have a couple of questions now, though.

I followed this recipe for the ingredients:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chantals-New-York-Cheesecake/Detail.aspx

and this recipe for the baking instructions:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/mjs-moms-cheesecake-recipe

I used paper muffin liners to cook them in. The muffin liners worked out okay, but I think they'd be easier to eat and look prettier if they weren't in the paper liners. Also, the liners seemed to get pretty damp after the cheesecake bites were in the fridge for a while. Do you think it would work to just make the mini cheesecakes directly in a greased (or ungreased, I'm not sure what the typical protocol is) muffin tin or would they be impossible to get out? Would a foil liner be better than a paper liner?

The cooking instructions were to bake the cheesecake bites for something like 20-25 minutes and then leave them in the oven with the oven door ajar for 30 more minutes. For the 30 minute time period, I had to take DD to swimming class, so they were in the oven for a much longer period of time - probably closer to an hour. The oven was cool by the time we got back and I took them out. When I took them out, I noticed that the cheesecake bites had really reduced in size and pulled away from the sides of the pan. Is that normal or did it happen b/c they cooked too long? If that's normal, would the same thing happen if I cooked them directly in the muffin tin?

I'm actually pretty excited about making them! I'm really looking forward to being able to do an assortment of toppings, too!

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
05-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Try using the foil muffin liners. Those don't get soggy. I don't know anything about the shrinkage issue, sorry.

--Jennifer