PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Geocaching

StantonHyde
05-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I searched this forum and found some really old entries on geocaching, so I thought I would start a new thread. I want to look into geocaching this summer because I think it would be a great way to get my kids hiking more--search for buried treasure, what could be better??

I have been to the geocaching.com site and it looks fairly simple. I have a GPS and I want to take a map and compass course because it is a skill I need for backpacking. My main question is "Is there a way to look up 'kid-based' geocaches"? I think it would be a lot more fun to find a matchbox car than something else an adult might like. What do you usually bring to trade if your kids want to take something?

Anything else I need to know? Any other interesting websites? This doesn't seem like I need a book--but if so, please recommend one.

Thanks so much for all your info and ideas. Here's to getting outdoors even more this summer.

SnuggleBuggles
05-01-2009, 09:17 PM
There is an organization in my city that sets these up and gives you the GPS, the course and instructions plus hides the goodies. Someone checks up on you to make sure you aren't lost or too off the mark. It was a great way to try it out! Just a thought. :)

Beth

StantonHyde
05-02-2009, 05:45 PM
What is your organization called? That way I can search for something like it in Salt Lake. Thanks!

geochick
05-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Have you seen this site?
http://www.utahgeocachers.com/

I think your idea of getting the kids excited about hiking using geocaching as an excuse is great. I would imagine someone on that site could help point you in the right direction.

trales
05-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Letter boxing is also fun and involves stamps. We do this with my niece and nephew. They love the stamps, have a little booklet with all the different stamps in them.

KBecks
05-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Oh, if I can find a reasonable priced handheld GPS, that would be a good father's day gift. (Assuming my mother's day is a good one.)

SnuggleBuggles
05-04-2009, 04:17 PM
The organization is totally local. I just checked their website to see if they had any other locations and they don't.

Beth

StantonHyde
05-04-2009, 04:50 PM
I checked out the Utah site--thanks so much!!! Still trying to figure out if there are kid specific caches.