PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Appreation - Is this too much?

deannanb
05-01-2009, 10:48 PM
DS is in preschool - for the past 3 years DS has been at this school - during teacher appreciation week the teachers have been given a "sleep in" day - and the teacher would get to come to school at 10 instead of 8:30. A parent would volunteer to come into the class. There is always a classroom teacher in with the parent so the parent is not alone.

I just got an email that they want to do something for the teacher each day - and the teachers filled out a questioner with some information about them

here is what they would like us to do for each day -- and now all I want to do is keep my kid home all week.

what do you think? Is this too much?

Thanks!

Monday: Children give teachers a homemade card
Tuesday: Children wear their teachers favorite colors (pick one teacher or wear both)
Wednesday: Bring a special sweet treat for teachers
Thursday: Bring one single flower for teachers (all flowers from students will be combined to make a bouquet)
Friday: Children bring a small gift of their choice (ex: small gift card, handmade craft, etc)

SnuggleBuggles
05-01-2009, 10:51 PM
It might be a little too much but it really isn't that bad, imo. Most of those things are really simple and cute. Wish I had had some of these ideas a few weeks ago when I was planning things for ds1's class. :) The only thing I dislike on the list you show is making people bring a gift. That should really be a personal choice.

Beth

rlmomto5
05-01-2009, 11:07 PM
I don't think it's too much at all. I think the teacher would love it. For teacher appreciation in my son's K class we are bringing in lunch and dinner for his teacher each day.

MMEand1
05-01-2009, 11:19 PM
This is what I got from my DS's school today. Keep in mind that TA week is next week. I think THIS is going a little overboard...

Monday: give your teacher a pat on the back. Trace your child's handprint, cut it out and have them write one thing they enjoy about their teacher. These can be taped on their teachers back that day at school

Tuesday: Sweet talk day! Share a sweet treat with your teacher. If you feel extra creative, attach a note to put a smile on your teacher's face. Some ideas: Extra gum - you are extra special, 100 Grand - You are worth 100 grand, M&M's -You're marvelous and magnificent. The possibilities are endless!

Wednesday: Award your teacher today! Make a certificate, award, metal (I did not misspell this - copied it exactly from the handout), sash, ribbon, trophy, etc for your teacher. You can come up with the award. Some ideas: Favorite Teacher, Best Story Reader, Coolest Math Whiz

Thursday: Picture day! Bring in a photo of you and your teacher, or create an original masterpiece (draw, paint, computer, etc) of your own. For a special touch, include a thank you note

Friday: Shower your teacher with flowers! Bring your teacher his/her favorite flower. It can be live flowers, potted plants, seed packages, flower notebook, flower-scented lotion, candy flowers, whatever you can imagine.

kristenk
05-01-2009, 11:23 PM
I have to say that I don't like everything being specified like that. It just sounds like forced participation and that doesn't really say "appreciation" to me.

DD's school also does a teacher appreciation week. The parent committee organizes the whole thing and then asks for volunteers to help execute the plan. If you can bring muffins, great! Sign up for that! If you make smoothies, fabulous! Sign up for that. But you don't have to do every single thing every single day of the week and the teachers still get extras and feel appreciated. (It's so close to the end of school, too! Doing a teacher appreciation gift makes the end-of-year gift that much more difficult!)

I do have to say that I really like the idea of bringing flowers for the teachers. It would be really cute and not too much trouble or expense for each family. I might email the parent committee chair to see what she thinks!

TwinFoxes
05-01-2009, 11:42 PM
I think it would be nice if they included something like "your child isn't required to participate every day, participate in as many or as few days as you'd like." It seems like a lot of pressure on the parents to do all of this! At least they're kind of making it kind of creative/educational, and nothing is very expensive. But I can understand getting this list and feeling it's a bit over the top.

bubbaray
05-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Good grief -- an entire WEEK?! Are there only SAHMs/D's in the mix and no working parents? I would not have time for that at all. I'd buy a GC and be done with it.

MMMommy
05-02-2009, 12:09 AM
At DDs' preschool, the school leaves a note in the file folder of each child reminding them of Teacher Appreciation Week. Nothing specific, but I see it as a not so subtle hint to buy something for the teachers.

s7714
05-02-2009, 12:28 AM
This is what my DDs elementary school sent out as suggestions for the week of May 11-14 (why they're doing it that week vs. the week of the 5th when the real teacher appreciation day is I have no idea):
Monday - Bring a flower
Tuesday - Make a card
Wednesday - bring a supply to your teacher
Thursday - bring a treat
Friday - bring anything you'd like
They also said they'd love dishes for the staff luncheon happening that week. They're calling this Teacher and Staff Appreciation week though, so they're suggesting people show appreciation for the other staff members at the school too, not just their own teacher.

Personally we'll be bringing some flowers to DDs teacher on Monday and probably a card on Tuesday, but we'll see about the rest. Quite frankly I bring in supplies all the time, so I'd rather see some other parents pick up some slack on that one for a change. We might bring in something to the two ladies in the office too.

ETA: I'm planning on having my DD help make some of these vs. real flowers:
http://www.twinkle-kids.com/flowerpops.html

randomkid
05-02-2009, 03:28 AM
We have TA week at DD's preschool next week. We have a Parent/Educator association that is responsible for this. I am on the board and we are carrying it out. There are five of us and by the time we divided up the responsibilities, it's really easy. We have fundraisers throughout the year to pay for things like this so the parents don't have to shell out the money. This way, the teachers get their week and the individual families can bring in gifts if they choose, but that is not even suggested. This is our week:

Monday - coffee and donuts in AM in teacher's lounge

Tuesday- flowers for classroom - we provide a vase and the flowers. Each child picks up a flower in the lobby on the way in and delivers it to the teacher. Each classroom ends up with a bouquet by the time all kids are there.

Wed - cookies and tea/lemonade in teacher's lounge

Thursday - artwork - we are providing paper to each child a on Monday that has a nice poem printed at the bottom - they can do whatever they choose in the blank space at the top - I think I will have DD choose a photo of herself to glue on, then do some artwork around it

Friday - gourmet cupcakes in Teacher's lounge

Large sign in lobby celebrating teachers and that's it. Parents really only have to do one thing that week, but the teachers are given something everyday. I wanted to cut back on the sweets and do bagels, fruit, etc, but the director said the teachers really prefer the sweets. I think they would like some alternatives, but what do I know?

WatchingThemGrow
05-02-2009, 03:50 AM
The school I taught in did a variation of this, which I thought was nice - here's what I can remember - the ones I thought were great, I guess:

M- parents provided breakfast
T- students brought in a flower
W- students brought in one blank notecard for us to use and maybe a thank you they'd written
Th - parents and an assistant from another grade kept the kids and sent the teachers for the grade level OUT to lunch - that was AWESOME!!!
F- students brought a piece of fruit or chocolate - great to have both!

I thought the items were all useful and, of course, people did participate only as they wanted to or could.

set81616
05-02-2009, 08:12 AM
I didn't even realize it was teacher appreciation week. I guess DS's school celebrates it by closing the school for 3 days so teachers can have an in service/time off but still letting parents pay for the entire week. Yay.
Shannon

KrisM
05-02-2009, 08:42 AM
I didn't realize it was teacher appreciation week. DS is only in preschool, so nothing formalized is happening. I'm not sure what they do in elem, if anything. I think I'd be a bit annoyed being told to do stuff. I would be fine with a reminder that it was coming.

SnuggleBuggles
05-02-2009, 08:58 AM
I didn't realize it was teacher appreciation week. DS is only in preschool, so nothing formalized is happening. I'm not sure what they do in elem, if anything. I think I'd be a bit annoyed being told to do stuff. I would be fine with a reminder that it was coming.

You're making me feel kind of bad now. I am making the kids in our class color a letter that will spell out "thank you, _teach!!!" so I can get a class photo of the kids holding them to give as a gift. I'm also having the kids write and draw why they love our teacher. So, I am making our class do these projects. Luckily people all seem on board. Hopefully not too much grumbling behind my back. :)

Beth

egoldber
05-02-2009, 09:48 AM
I do think that is a little much personally. I would only do one or two of those things. Our school sent home a flyer and suggested kids make a card to show their appreciation. There is also a Teacher breakfast on Tuesday for which they are asking parents to donate a baked good.

KrisM
05-02-2009, 09:50 AM
You're making me feel kind of bad now. I am making the kids in our class color a letter that will spell out "thank you, _teach!!!" so I can get a class photo of the kids holding them to give as a gift. I'm also having the kids write and draw why they love our teacher. So, I am making our class do these projects. Luckily people all seem on board. Hopefully not too much grumbling behind my back. :)

Beth

Sorry! I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad. I do think what you're doing is different though. And, my friend passed out pieces of fabric to everyone in class and the kids drew pictures on it. She's turning it into a lap quilt for the teacher. I had no issues with that. I think it's different - you're asking the kids/parents to help in something you're doing for the teacher, rather than saying "go buy a flower, a candy, a card, and a gift and bring them on specific days".

egoldber
05-02-2009, 09:56 AM
And I know some of this stuff seems little, but frankly this time of year is KILLER for many kids and parents. Ballet recitals, soccer practice and games, end of year tests and projects, Spring Festivals, scouting encampments, plus the usual run of the mill birthday parties and playdates.

We have something three nights this week at the school plus Sarah has a playdate plus I need to bake for three separate school activities. I seriously spent the morning mapping out a plan to attack the week. And I don't even work outside the home!

And then if you have kids in two different schools, etc. then it gets much harder. Amy's preschool room mom sent out an e-mail asking people to bring in cards and baked good for the teachers there too. Sorry, but something has to give.

Each "little thing" adds up.

KBecks
05-02-2009, 09:56 AM
It doesn't sound like too much work. Of course, we have single flowers (tulips and such) in the yard now. If I had to go to the store, that would not be fun. The small gifts is a little much, it sounds a little bad saying -- bring me a gift!

Wearing colors, not a problem, if we don't have the colors, I would not shop. I'd think of something though, like a card in that color or something. I'd intentionally keep it small.

Our school has parents bring in pot luck stuff for a teacher lunch. I can handle that.

TwinFoxes
05-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Good grief -- an entire WEEK?! Are there only SAHMs/D's in the mix and no working parents?

This is what I thought too...and imagine if you have more than one kid! You'd have to do this for more than one teacher? Yikes.

bubbaray
05-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Ya know, I really think an entire week is WAAAAY too much. I would NOT be happy with getting a letter telling me I have to do extra things every freakin' day for a week (on top of homework, no less). I would not be happy with extra art/craft projects that are expected to be done during the week. Um, yeah, generally I have time to feed the kids, bathe them and put them to bed. I sure won't have time to go shopping for color-specific clothing, single flowers (where the heck do you buy a single flower anyway?), particular food items, gift cards, AND do arts/crafts on top of that. Don't even mention me making food to bring in -- that is DEFINITELY not gonna happen.

Seriously. This has gone too far. Give a thank you card and a small gift at the end of the year. An entire freakin' week is over the top.

neeter
05-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Our PTA is doing a luncheon, and for our classroom we're giving the teachers the Friday afternoon off (a few parents will be assisting in the room). Other than that, parents are encouraged to send in a note or other small token of appreciation during the week. I think that keeps it simple, I think mandating certain items for certain days gets to be too much.

s7714
05-02-2009, 11:22 AM

Beth

See I think something like that is more appropriate than asking parents to buy a lot of things. What you're doing just seems more "from the heart" whereas receiving a bunch of stuff from people who are doing so mainly because it was suggested that they buy it, doesn't.

bubbaray
05-02-2009, 11:30 AM
What about if you really must do an entire week, breaking the kids down into groups (ie, last names A-E, and so on) and only those kids bring items on specific days.

Seriously, working parents and low income parents are not going to be able to bring stuff every.single.day -- those kids will only feel bad and left out, KWIM?

bubbaray
05-02-2009, 11:33 AM
we're giving the teachers the Friday afternoon off (a few parents will be assisting in the room).

I'm surprised that is legal -- it wouldn't be here. Firstly, there are union issues (only teachers and student teachers with a supervisor) are allowed to teach in the classroom. I think parents can help, but there always has to be a union member. Secondly, there are liability issues -- criminal records checks on the parents, teaching ability, etc. I wouldn't feel comfortable having my child(ren) supervised by someone who was not a teacher without having a teacher present.

s7714
05-02-2009, 11:42 AM
I don't know what the education systems are going through in other areas, but here in SoCal many of the teachers will be getting their official pink slips this month. So I think TA week is a nice way that people can show teachers they are appreciated, even if they unfortunately may not have a job next year.

Personally I think it's fine to forgo suggested structured TA week stuff, but it irritates me that so many people don't go out of their way at any point to show appreciation to the people working for so little pay to educate their children. Or they pull the "I brought in a ream of paper from the supplies wish list earlier this year, so I'm done for the year" BS. I mean I understand people are busy or can't financially afford to buy stuff, but how much effort does it really take to spend 5 minutes or less making a homemade card that just says thank you to the teacher? Stepping down from my soapbox now...

Ceepa
05-02-2009, 12:18 PM
We participate in Teacher Appreciation Week. No one has set up a formal do-something-every-day schedule but even if they did, that's not madatory. Some parents enjoy participating in little themes. Doesn't bother me.

mommy111
05-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Good grief -- an entire WEEK?! Are there only SAHMs/D's in the mix and no working parents? I would not have time for that at all. I'd buy a GC and be done with it.
Man, I need a mommy appreciation week just for keeping it together with work and a pre-Ker and a baby. Here's my list to the teachers:
1) M You keep my kids till 7pm. I get to take a shower after work.
2) Tu You invite the kids for a slumber party at your house. I get to sleep. All night.
3) W You come in and do the nightly ritual with my children: toothbrush power struggle, potty power struggle, read wildest brother with all the sound effects, put the kids to sleep. I get to go out for dinner at someplace other than TGIF
4) Th Drop my kids off to school. I get enough time in the morning to put on my make up infront of the dresser instead of the rearview mirror
5) F Ok, enough wishful thinking.

Seriously, though, I think teachers are so underpaid, the week is a nice gesture. But I like the idea of a PP who said a comittee does it all and individual parents are not burdened

bubbaray
05-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Teacher salaries must be waaaay low in the US, then. Here, I know many teachers who make more than $80K/yr, with full benefits and pension. And they do nothing but whine about money. Its irritating. These are elementary school teachers with a Bachelors degree, not those with Masters (who make more) or those with administrative responsibilities (ie, principals and VPs).

I still say an entire week is waaay too much and that children of working parents and low income parents are going to feel left out.

MelissaTC
05-02-2009, 02:53 PM
DS's school just finished Teacher Appreciation week.

Monday-bring in a note, card or picture for your teacher. DS made two cards for his teachers.

Tuesday-Staff appreciation luncheon put on my the PSO parents. Cafeteria is closed so bring in a bagged lunch (DS attends a parochial school). Parent volunteers are needed to watch classrooms.

Wednesday- bring in a flower for your teacher. Parent volunteers have distributed personalized vases and will arrange the flowers. We didn't participate in this one.

Thursday- Replenish supplies. DS's teachers wanted gift cards to the teacher supply store. We did not participate in this one. Last year, DS's K teacher made a list of things they needed to get through the end of the year and it was a small list. This year, his teacher wanted all kinds of stuff and I felt like the things that were being asked for were unnecessary. They can hit up the new class coming in for those in August when they make a wish list.

Friday- Breakfast cart for teachers put on by the PSO and the Staff Appreciation committee. No help was needed.

deannanb
05-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Man, I need a mommy appreciation week just for keeping it together with work and a pre-Ker and a baby. Here's my list to the teachers:
2) Tu You invite the kids for a slumber party at your house. I get to sleep. All night.
3) W You come in and do the nightly ritual with my children: toothbrush power struggle, potty power struggle, read wildest brother with all the sound effects, put the kids to sleep. I get to go out for dinner at someplace other than TGIF
4) Th Drop my kids off to school. I get enough time in the morning to put on my make up infront of the dresser instead of the rearview mirror

:cheerleader1: This is so perfect!

Thanks for all of your thoughts!

but very interesting that the moms who were at the meeting - only have one child and do not work (yes, SAHM work 24/7)

I like the felt flowers instead of real ones - I haven't looked for flowers lately - but I haven't seen single flowers - where do you find those? the grocery store? I also like the idea of the PTO buying the flowers and each child brings one to the classroom.

egoldber
05-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Teacher salaries must be waaaay low in the US, then.

They can be very, very low. I do think teachers are underpaid and underappreciated.

I guess I have issues with the Hallmark-ness of it all. Do teachers really want to be inundated with tons of "stuff"? I mean how many of these little gifts and cards and snacks end up in the trash?

I DO have issues with teachers being out of the classroom for an extended period of time (like come in late or early to leave). Some classrooms are frankly NOT that easy to control. And my kid has serious issues with the day being disrupted and even experienced teachers sometimes struggle to manage her. I just really don't see this as a good idea. A lunch or breakfast sure. But not several hours.

I also feel bad about the inequity of many of these things. Some teachers in my DD's elementary school don't even have a room parent. Some have a room parent (like me) who is not always the best at coordinating things, but I try. Sarah's teacher had a baby in February and I am just now getting around to collecting donations for a baby gift. Another room parent has collected quilt squares and made a baby quilt for the teacher. I just don't have that in me frankly, so I hope they don't compare. So I prefer it when things like TA week are school wide events so that there is no disparity between the different classrooms and "how much" the teachers get appreciated.

ray7694
05-02-2009, 03:42 PM
WOW! I am a teacher and don't know what to think of some of these comments. I am a computer teacher to K-5 so I don't really get gifts/appreciaton at all. Our parents put together a meal either breakfast or lunch for the entire week and then do a few small gifts. They also send a note reminding parents to think of the teachers.

I think if you have already done lots of stuff for the teacher all year it may be irritating to have to do a whole week of things but honestly teaching is not an easy job at all. I know being a SAHM is also tough.

I say do what you can and don't worry about it. I would be happy with a nice email from a parent.

sste
05-02-2009, 04:02 PM
What I don't understand is why you can't just cut your teacher a check and include a nice thank you note from your DC. Why is money considered crass? My sister is a teacher and is inundated with gift cards, tchatchkes, etc. What should needs most is 1) money; 2) gift certificates to teacher supply stores to mitigate some of the (hundreds) of dollars she spends on classroom supplies. And I think ONE sweet card from each Dear Student would be treasured.

spanannie
05-02-2009, 05:14 PM
I am surprised that so many people here find teacher appreciation week to be a lot of work. I am more than happy to do a week's worth of little things for our teachers, and, personally, feel they are not even near enough, given the job that the teachers at our school do, the hours they put in, and the little they are paid. The school does not ask us to do Teacher Appreciation week, but the class parents come up with a plan of some sort and ask the class to participate. Sometimes it's a week of little things, other times it's a day. This year, we were asked to do a week's worth of little things for each of the kids' teachers, and, like I said, I think they definitely deserve more!

g-mama
05-02-2009, 05:16 PM

Seriously, though, I think teachers are so underpaid, the week is a nice gesture. But I like the idea of a PP who said a comittee does it all and individual parents are not burdened

This list really shocks me. Do the teachers not do enough? Really? My kids' preschool and elementary teachers have been dear to me and give so much to my children for so little.

I hear that some of these things can get out of hand, but, I think the reason that oftentimes a group of parents come up with ideas for the other parents to do is so that the teachers *don't* end up with tons of tchotchkes. Having a plan eliminates parents wanting to do something but not knowing what to do. Is it really so cumbersome to put your child in a certain colored shirt?? Or to have them make a card? My kids love to make cards, draw, color, and do it all the time anyway. So if I give them a 'project' to do, they're thrilled. And they love their teachers, so to them, that's even better.

KBecks
05-02-2009, 05:20 PM
I think the issue is if Mrs. K's favorite color is purple, I'm not going to go but new clothes. And if it's yellow and our yellow shirt is in the wash, no deal.

I think it's nice to let families choose their own way to express gratitude, I like suggestions, but when it gets too particular it can be a pain.

mamicka
05-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Teacher salaries must be waaaay low in the US, then. Here, I know many teachers who make more than $80K/yr, with full benefits and pension.

Well, I know that 10 years ago a family friend retired from elementary teaching at 90K/year. So I think it can really vary.

mamicka
05-02-2009, 05:32 PM
I don't think it's too much, I just think it should be all optional so that people don't feel obligated. I'd probably do all the items on the list (Tues only if we already owned something appropriate) but I know that for some people it wouldn't be convenient. I actually think it'd be better to encourage being appreciative all through the year.

s7714
05-02-2009, 05:47 PM
This list really shocks me. Do the teachers not do enough? Really? My kids' preschool and elementary teachers have been dear to me and give so much to my children for so little.

I agree. I know it was partly a joke, but the fact is a large percentage of teachers are over-worked mothers themselves and not some group of lifeless drones who have nothing better to do than to take care of our children. Now if you were going to give that list to your DH or MIL OTOH you might be on to something. ;)

bubbaray
05-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Well, I know that 10 years ago a family friend retired from elementary teaching at 90K/year. So I think it can really vary.

So, is 90K/y considered a low paying job in WI? Not being cheeky, but the general theme on this thread is that teachers are low paid and deserve a "week" partly for that reason.

My comments are based on teachers (here) definitely NOT being low paid. $80K (well into the six figures for Masters level and high school) for 9months of work a year, working 8:30-2:30 daily is pretty good money (and we live in a high cost-of-living area). They don't work extra hours (their union forbids it) and generally, the teachers are puffs of smoke down the road before the students have even cleared the schoolyard.

And, yeah, if my child d/n have a particular color shirt, I don't think I should spend what little "free" time I have (which, BTW, is zero) hunting down a lilac-colored shirt so my child d/n feel left out. I'm pretty sure that the low income children who wear the same threads to school every day aren't going to run out and buy a special shirt either.

I think events like this really set certain children up for being left out. Which is my main concern.

egoldber
05-02-2009, 06:23 PM
My comments are based on teachers (here) definitely NOT being low paid. $80K (well into the six figures for Masters level and high school) for 9months of work a year, working 8:30-2:30 daily is pretty good money (and we live in a high cost-of-living area). They don't work extra hours (their union forbids it) and generally, the teachers are puffs of smoke down the road before the students have even cleared the schoolyard.

I can assure you that that is FAR from an average US teacher's salary. And in my district (which is considered a very good, well off district) teachers are being laid off and there is a salary freeze for the entire district.

Info I found by quickly Googling for my state in the district next to mine.

Average Teacher Salary (Bachelor’s Degree): $40,986
Average Teacher Salary (Master’s Degree): $46,109
Average Teacher Salary (PhD): $51,233

http://www.teachingtips.com/average-teacher-salaries/virginia/

I can assure you that $41K will not even buy you a one 1BR condo in my district. Many teachers live an hour away, especially young ones just out of school.

My issue is not with teachers. My issue is with all the extras that (mostly) well meaning groups likes PTAs do without considering the impact on some families and whether it is even what teachers WANT.

BabyMine
05-02-2009, 06:39 PM
I think an entire week is great.

Come on, you have 51 other weeks to do whatever you want.

mamicka
05-02-2009, 06:42 PM
So, is 90K/y considered a low paying job in WI? Not being cheeky, but the general theme on this thread is that teachers are low paid and deserve a "week" partly for that reason.

No, 90k is not a low paying job here, far from it. But that was in IL (not around Chicago, very rural area) where it was also not a low paying job. Not by a long shot. I was shocked to know that was how much she was paid for years. I understand that the average teacher doesn't get paid that amount. But I know that many of them do.

egoldber
05-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Here's what I'm doing for the school this week....

Coordinating baby gift for teacher returning on maternity leave. Sub is not so good at returning e-mails making said coordination much more difficult.

Figuring out how to give said sub a celebratory send off without her figuring it out. We do not have an e-mail list for the class, not every family has e-mail and many parents do not speak any English.

Making scones for Teacher Appreciation Breakfast.

Assembling class basket for the Silent Auction for Friday's Spring Festival.

Baking cakes for the "Cake Walk" for DD's Brownie Troop to decorate Friday after school for the Fun Festival. Last time they ran out of cakes early so are asking for lots more cakes this time.

Assembling and bringing in recycled goods for event at Festival.

Baking challah for the International Dinner at the Spring Festival.

Mommy and Daughter Dinner Wednesday night. DH has a work event so I may need to find a sitter for Amy. FYI, I have no sitters and can't really afford one but I've begged and borrowed sitting from my neighbors so much I don't feel like I can ask any more.

Thursday night at 7 (yes, the night before the freaking festival with a 1000 things I need to do) be at the school with DH for GT Orientation. Also need a sitter for Amy for this. See above.

Friday afternoon, help Sarah's Brownie Troop decorate cakes for Cake Walk from 4-5, from 5-6 help set up for Spring Festival, then escort Sarah to Festival from 6-9 and then collapse.

Oh and on Tuesday afternoon Sarah has a playdate and I also need to find another sitter for the GT Orientation that is next Monday at the other school she might go to.

So yes, to me the week of TA stuff feels like a LOT on top of that.

ETA: Oh and on her own DD made 2 heartfelt cards for her two teachers even the long term sub who has been cruel to her.

g-mama
05-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Beth - I totally understand. I could make a list of my own like that, and have three kids in school and activities. And I agree, too, that this is a busy time of year. My only point was that it seems worthwhile to show our appreciation for our childrens' teachers.

JTsMom
05-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Just wanted to add that teachers here don't work 8-2:30. It's more like 7:30-5 at school, and then grading papers at home on top of that. The students are there from 8-2:30, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. Teachers also pull a lot of money from their own pockets to pay for school supplies.

As for teacher appreciation week, I say we scrap it and pay teachers the wages they deserve in the first place. I'm betting the majority of them would agree with me.

egoldber
05-02-2009, 07:18 PM
My only point was that it seems worthwhile to show our appreciation for our childrens' teachers.

I know that. But it just irritates me that they give out these lists of things to do as suggested ways of showing appreciation and guess what. The SAME people who do all the other stuff are the ones who are going to do things for Teacher Appreciation week. It just feels like piling it on to some degree and then makes me feel bad for resenting yet another thing to do.

And FWIW, our school did not have something for every day. It was just suggested to show your appreciation this week and please donate a baked good. I don't think that's too much. But some of the lists I have seen posted here do feel intrusive and too much. Obviously JMO.

gatorsmom
05-02-2009, 07:29 PM
I think an entire week is great.

Come on, you have 51 other weeks to do whatever you want.

If I had to do that for all 4 of my kids when they are all in school at the same time, I wouldn't do it. I"d go my own route of getting the teacher a nice gift and card and/or gift card to Target. They'd probably appreciate the giftcard more anyway.

wellyes
05-02-2009, 07:30 PM
What is the point of teacher appreciation week? If it's a lesson in showing gratitude, then why enforce how the kids do that and make it mandatory? If it's about teachers being underpaid and overworked, I'm not comfortable with that.

pinkmomagain
05-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Honestly, I'm shocked and grateful that my sd doesn't do any of this nonsense. The PTA does a Teacher luncheon thing where parents can volunteer to come in and help set up/serve/clean up a nice little lunch for the teachers. That's it. Much of what I've seen listed here is unnecessary, over the top, and probably not heartfelt since it sounds almost like a mandate for kids and parents to particpate - IMHO.

In our case, the teacher gets a gift at xmas and end of year from the class (not required)...and many additional individual gifts as well -- to which I contribute. I have personally complimented and thanked her when she has gone above and beyond (verbally and written)....and let the principal know what a great job and special teacher she is -- which I think is probably the best gift of all.

BabyMine
05-03-2009, 04:32 PM
I don't think that it should be mandatory but sometimes people don't do things unless they are. There are some parents at our school that treat teachers like they are just babysitting.

wellyes
05-03-2009, 04:38 PM
I don't think that it should be mandatory but sometimes people don't do things unless they are.

But that's the point, right? If people don't do things, then the people who DO do things are saying something really special.

ett
05-03-2009, 04:51 PM
I don't think that it should be mandatory but sometimes people don't do things unless they are. There are some parents at our school that treat teachers like they are just babysitting.

Yes, I'm sure there are some parents like that. But I really doubt that having mandatory teacher appreciation activities is going to change the viewpoints of those parents.

salsah
05-03-2009, 06:59 PM
i do not think that any of it is too much to show the teachers how much they are appreciated. they deserves so much more!
however, i do think that it is too much to ask of the parents to do all these things. not everyone has the means and we should make a effort to ensure that no one feels burdened or left out.
the sentiment is lost when these things are made mandatory so there is not point. i think a reminder and even a list of suggestions/ideas is nice. the parents who want to show their appreciation will do so and they can chose one the suggestions, or if they have an idea of their own, they can use their own idea.
However, when I was in school, I saw the competition between parents to get the bigger, better, most expensive gift and the concern among the parents who could not afford to buy expensive gifts for the teacher. At my elementary school, it was clear that the children of parents who were big givers were treated better than the rest. That is why I favor the group gift idea. Everyone can participate according to their own means. We did that at dd's school for the holidays. We collected money from parents (each parent gave as much as they wanted to give) and then gave the money to the teachers. That way the teachers got money to buy what they really need (instead of a bunch of little things that they don't need) and we signed the card from all the families that contributed (some chose not to contribute at all, some chose to get a gift separate from the group). The teachers do not know who gave $5 and who gave $80 (that was the range of contributions that we received).

egoldber
05-03-2009, 07:25 PM
However, when I was in school, I saw the competition between parents to get the bigger, better, most expensive gift and the concern among the parents who could not afford to buy expensive gifts for the teacher. At my elementary school, it was clear that the children of parents who were big givers were treated better than the rest. That is why I favor the group gift idea. Everyone can participate according to their own means.

This is one of my concerns. Honestly, for many parents at our school, even $5 is a hardship.

Also, I mentioned this before and it got lost. One thing that really bothers me about class celebrations and group teacher gifts (vs school wide organized gifts) is the inevitable inequity.

At Sarah's Brownie meeting last week, one of the moms was showing the other moms a quilt she organized for her DD's teacher who is expecting her first baby. (She is the room mom and it's a class gift.) It made me feel wretched because I have not yet gotten it together to put together a baby gift for Sarah's teacher who comes BACK from maternity leave a week from Monday! Oops, getting on that this week, but all I'm doing is cash donations (and I feel bad about asking) and getting a gift card. And some teachers do not even have a room parent because no one ever volunteered. So they get nothing in terms of classroom organized gifts.

And then what about the specials teachers? The art teacher, music teacher, reading specialist, ESOL teacher.....nothing is ever organized for them!

I wish that the PTA has a standard for things like teacher gifts, end of year gifts, etc. The inequity of it really bothers me.

C99
05-03-2009, 07:53 PM

It is the PTA's Teacher Appreciation Week next week. At our school, which is small and only runs PK - 2nd right now, the class room rep had a brainstorming session with all the parents, either in person or over e-mail, and everyone had input. In my DS1's classroom, there were 3 major projects, all of which were voluntary on the part of the kids:

1 - cookbook -- each child submits and illustrates his/her favorite family recipe. This is compiled by the room parent herself, a SAHM.

2 - memory book -- each child draws a picture and writes down answers to 4 teacher-related questions to be compiled into a memory book. This project was dreamed up and will be compiled by a full-time WOHM.

3 - thank you notes -- each child or his/her parent writes a note to the teacher and aide to thank then. This project was dreamed up by and will be compiled by a part-time working mom.

In DD's preschool class (same school), the room parent is a 3/4-time WOHM. She also compiled a memory book of the kids, and is putting together gift baskets of wish-list items for both the classroom and the teachers themselves.

I really don't think having to wear the teacher's favorite color or making them a card is that big of a deal. Also, as a non-working parent, it's easier for me to donate time. I don't necessarily have the funds to just buy a GC and be done with it.

MmeSunny
05-03-2009, 07:56 PM

As a teacher, I cannot begin to say how offensive your statements are. We are working very hard to educate YOUR children. If you want a mom-appreciation day, it shouldn't come from your child's teacher--it should come from the people you mother and co-parent (if there is one.)

To assume that a teacher should "parent" your child until 7pm so you can shower is ridiculous. We have our own families and our own lives, thanks so much.

In addition, wow, would I love to teach in Canada. . .that pay is amazing. I bet you don't end up with a lot of teacher turn-over as it's a well-paid and well-respected profession. However the comment that teacher's work 8-3 is also not true. I spend so much time and money beyond what is required to make sure that my students have what they need to learn. I'm not alone. Just because you don't see your teacher "working at school" doesn't mean s/he isn't "working".

But to speak to the original question, yes, that list is in my opinion, excessive. The best stuff from kids isn't stuff. A request for thank you notes, letters and pictures would be more in line, I believe. It evens the playing field for those who have much and not-so-much.

I have received much from students who had much, but when they earn the "F" they get it--it should always be that way.

SnuggleBuggles
05-03-2009, 07:57 PM
And then what about the specials teachers? The art teacher, music teacher, reading specialist, ESOL teacher.....nothing is ever organized for them!

I wish that the PTA has a standard for things like teacher gifts, end of year gifts, etc. The inequity of it really bothers me.

All of the room parents at our school did the same thing for the aids, specials and homeroom teachers at the holidays this year and it worked out ok. It would have been better, imo, to do something more personal based on your teacher (we did a gift card to a local grocery store chain b/c you can get groceries there or use that gc to buy gcs to major chain retail shops and restaurants). It probably worked out fine.

For appreciation week the PCO is buying plants for every staff member and teacher. They solicited donations from parents and are picking up the tab for the rest. I hope it works out well. Seemed like a good plan so no one will be left out, not even the part time crossing guard.

On the inequality note, I have just learned what some of the other room parents have been doing this year and it makes me feel inadequate. I'd have told you I was doing a good job but they are doing things I never would have thought of for their class and teachers.

Beth

C99
05-03-2009, 08:35 PM

I know! At the holidays, I got small gift cards for the art and music teachers, the admin, the principal and the security guard, in addition to my kids' teachers and aides. However, I couldn't get something for everyone, and didn't get anything for the tech teacher, literacy specialist, or special ed or gym teachers. As a school, we are doing a potluck breakfast for the teachers/staff on Friday, plus a pep rally for everyone as well. Those are school-wide events, so we're thanking them in some way, but I don't know how to advocate that we reach the behind-the-scenes teachers. Still, it's just our first year, so I am hoping we can put some kind of standard or guideline in place for future years. Our principal asked us NOT to ask the parents for money, so that kind of limits what we can do.

wellyes
05-03-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm really tired of hearing teachers complain about how overworked and underpaid they are. They're hardly the only ones in that boat, and they have the benefit of unionization, a reasonably well respected career and middle-class wages - in line with what many, many people with college degrees make. I'm not saying they're NOT underpaid and overworked, I'm just weary of the outrage over it.

But I kinda get the idea of mandated gifts, in that if EVERYONE is getting their teacher the same thing (something homemade) it may decrease the possibility of inequal giving. It does maybe make it easier for SAH parents though.

bubbaray
05-03-2009, 08:43 PM
However the comment that teacher's work 8-3 is also not true. I spend so much time and money beyond what is required to make sure that my students have what they need to learn. I'm not alone. Just because you don't see your teacher "working at school" doesn't mean s/he isn't "working".

Really trying to leave this thread alone, but I feel the need to address this point. *Here*, teachers are only obligated by collective agreement to put in actual classroom hours (in my district it is 8:30 to 2:30). They get a certain number of hours for prep and marking, I'm not sure how that works, but they are compensated for every.single.minute of teaching-related time. For a while, they were forbidden from doing any extra-curricular stuff (coaching, choir, that sort of thing) by their union. IIRC, that work-to-rule campaign has ended, and those that want to volunteer for such positions can. The union actually backed down on that issue because parents stepped up to do the extra-curricular stuff and the union didn't want the parents doing it -- they wanted to get paid for it, but the gov't refused.

Anyway, here at least, teachers do not have to put in one minute of extra time if they don't want to. Plus, the amount of prep and marking time is reduced exponentially for the number of years of service -- it takes long-time teachers virtually zero time to prepare lessons because they have 25 years of them filed away.... I'm not making this up, I've been told this by friends who have been teaching for 25+ yrs. They just show up for their set hours and are good to go. They have figured out how to make lesson plans that require less marking, etc..

Also, on top of their regular salaries, they often have extra jobs (marking provincial exams or teaching summer school, for example) during long school breaks.

My point is that I don't see teachers *here* as deserving a week of special activities. They are making more money than the average working parent in most school districts. Their union is highly politicized (even more so right now -- we are in the middle of an election) and, frankly, I think most parents are sick of hearing teachers whine about how little they make for the virtually part-time hours they work.

I don't mind giving a deserving teacher an end-of-the-year gift. I just don't seen the need for another Hallmark holiday that is an entire week long.

JMHO.

mommy111
05-04-2009, 01:18 AM
As a teacher, I cannot begin to say how offensive your statements are. We are working very hard to educate YOUR children. If you want a mom-appreciation day, it shouldn't come from your child's teacher--it should come from the people you mother and co-parent (if there is one.)

To assume that a teacher should "parent" your child until 7pm so you can shower is ridiculous. We have our own families and our own lives, thanks so much.

In addition, wow, would I love to teach in Canada. . .that pay is amazing. I bet you don't end up with a lot of teacher turn-over as it's a well-paid and well-respected profession. However the comment that teacher's work 8-3 is also not true. I spend so much time and money beyond what is required to make sure that my students have what they need to learn. I'm not alone. Just because you don't see your teacher "working at school" doesn't mean s/he isn't "working".

To start out, I want to post the disclaimer that the statements were tongue in cheek, were meant to highlight how hard it is to take care of little kids which lower school/preschool teachers do every day, and were not meant to offend anyone.
However.....as a former teacher, let me say that I find the whole idea of forcing kids to make cards and bring in presents faintly humiliating at best. Maybe my perspective is skewed because I worked with a fair number of lower income kids and the kids were much older, but to suggest that everyone would have time to sit at home and do crafts with their kids or have particular color clothes suitable to wear to school is discriminatory against lower income and single parents some of whom work 14-16 hours a day just to make ends meet. I think it is much more equitable to have an organizing committee do stuff for the teachers so that individual parents and kids don't get singled out for doing too little (and, yes, in that situation, some people will do nothing and others will do a lot, but that's the whole point, everyone does what they can in appreciation of the teachers) or compete to outdo one another.

To illustrate, there was a little girl in my daughter's preschool and pre-K class, dad is a businessman, mom is a vet, they are very well off and she has the nicest clothes and things amongst a group of higher-income family kids at an exclusive private school. However, her mom either did not have the time, or was philosophically opposed to doing things for any organized event in school. She was always the one who never had a present for the teachers on teacher appreciation day, did not have stuff to put into the valentine's gift bags and never got the teachers anything for the holidays. I have never forgotten the look on her face as everyone brought stuff to put into Valentine's bags and the teachers took them around to do their valentine's deliveries and she watched. It was the same for her at EVERY holiday.

Sure, the meal organized by the committees is wonderful, the gift checks are greatly appreciated and the cards are cute although most end up in the trash can a few days or hours later. And, admittedly, as a former teacher, my perspective is skewed because I taught much higher grades, but I never appreciated any thing as much as the tears I saw in a parents eyes when she told me that for the first time in school, her son enjoyed doing math and had not only passed but achieved a B in math.

A heartfelt thank you, in whatever form the child and parent wants, whether it be a card or a flower, or a meal or just a hug is so much more meaningful than 5 days of mandatory stuff that parents will do so that their kids don't feel like outcasts from some arbitrary ritual.

strollerqueen
05-04-2009, 01:25 AM
Ya know, I really think an entire week is WAAAAY too much. I would NOT be happy with getting a letter telling me I have to do extra things every freakin' day for a week (on top of homework, no less). I would not be happy with extra art/craft projects that are expected to be done during the week. Um, yeah, generally I have time to feed the kids, bathe them and put them to bed. I sure won't have time to go shopping for color-specific clothing, single flowers (where the heck do you buy a single flower anyway?), particular food items, gift cards, AND do arts/crafts on top of that. Don't even mention me making food to bring in -- that is DEFINITELY not gonna happen.

Seriously. This has gone too far. Give a thank you card and a small gift at the end of the year. An entire freakin' week is over the top.

Here they just ask for $20! haha! ")

kijip
05-04-2009, 01:35 AM
I think that being told how to appreciate someone is ridiculously annoying.

If the list is coming from the teachers, that is just rude and weird. If the list is coming from a parent volunteer, that is just sort of invasive and bossy.

It's one thing to organize a collective present or gesture like a single memory book. Or to, as a parent volunteer send home a reminder of the day and ask for participation (like a potluck breakfast) or give ideas of things people might want to consider. It's another thing to order it up on a list, like school supplies. With a schedule. Honestly, if I taught I would not feel very appreciated by a list of such things. While I won't touch the issue of if teachers are fairly paid or not with a 10 foot pole, it is worth noting that in districts like mine, nearly 1/2 of the students in most schools are very low income and qualify for free meals. Asking for a financial contribution from a very low income family for a present to someone that is considerably better off relative to them seems awkward at best.

strollerqueen
05-04-2009, 01:47 AM

Coordinating baby gift for teacher returning on maternity leave. Sub is not so good at returning e-mails making said coordination much more difficult.

Figuring out how to give said sub a celebratory send off without her figuring it out. We do not have an e-mail list for the class, not every family has e-mail and many parents do not speak any English.

Baking cakes for the "Cake Walk" for DD's Brownie Troop to decorate Friday after school for the Fun Festival. Last time they ran out of cakes early so are asking for lots more cakes this time.

Mommy and Daughter Dinner Wednesday night. DH has a work event so I may need to find a sitter for Amy. FYI, I have no sitters and can't really afford one but I've begged and borrowed sitting from my neighbors so much I don't feel like I can ask any more.

Thursday night at 7 (yes, the night before the freaking festival with a 1000 things I need to do) be at the school with DH for GT Orientation. Also need a sitter for Amy for this. See above.

Friday afternoon, help Sarah's Brownie Troop decorate cakes for Cake Walk from 4-5, from 5-6 help set up for Spring Festival, then escort Sarah to Festival from 6-9 and then collapse.

Oh and on Tuesday afternoon Sarah has a playdate and I also need to find another sitter for the GT Orientation that is next Monday at the other school she might go to.

ETA: Oh and on her own DD made 2 heartfelt cards for her two teachers even the long term sub who has been cruel to her.

Beth, you are amazing. My hat's off to you. I couldn't do it. I tried, and I failed, and I feel so guilty. But it just got too much for me. It was always more, more, more. I am in awe of the moms like you. I think YOU guys need an appreciation week!

mommy111
05-04-2009, 01:58 AM

Beth, you are the kind of amazing parent that I am totally in awe of :) But, re the last sentence, the generosity of spirit of kids never fails to amaze me.

citymama
05-04-2009, 03:03 AM
Um, when is teacher appreciation week again? Our preschool does it, and I must have missed the notice. Does it start tomorrow? I am never prepared.

I like (and I know the teachers like) our end of the year "all parents pool in what you can contribute" plan where we end up with a nice envelope of crisp, cool cash for each teacher, as well as for common staff such as the cook and "floater" teacher. I *don't* like the mandatory "you must buy flowers on Monday and bake cookies on Tuesday" thing that goes a whole week, and I imagine the teachers too are sick of the unhelpful gifts. I think one "teacher's day" would make a lot more sense, and ideally it would not be prescribed so we could celebrate our teachers as we want to, in creative, thoughtful and non-mandatory ways, according to our means!

lovin2shop
05-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Yes, I got the week long list of activities as well. I did groan a bit, but think that it is a well intentioned idea, and I'm not sure that I have a better suggestion. If left to our own devices, then I have the uneasy feeling of not knowing what to bring / how much to spend, unequal treatment issues, etc. But, giving a different activity each day means that people will be inconvenienced on different days. For example, my DS really dislikes crafts/art making cards, etc. so these activites will be a major pain for me to get him to do, but are probably pretty easy for others. Bringing the flower is not so much of an issue for me because I can swing by the grocery store easily on my way home from work. But, the flower might be a pain if you have several kids to haul into and out of the store. So, you just never know how easy or small these tasks may be. Also, I feel like this is not that great for the teachers, because honestly, do they care if their students are wearing purple, or whatever? Or if they get a hodge podge of different flowers to have around for a day or two? Maybe they do, but it seems like a gift card would make a bigger difference in their lives. I personally would prefer to just write a check for a luncheon / gift card. But, I have the luxury of that not being a hardship. And someone would have to organize the luncheon, etc. So, to me, there just isn't really a perfect way to handle this stuff. Therefore, I will dutifully force my DS to make a card tonight, hope that it is not too hot to wear his long sleeved green shirt, stop by the grocery to get some baking supplies and hope that the flower I buy tonight is not wilted by tomorrow moring..