PDA

View Full Version : Is an inexpensive ($50ish) umbrella stroller worth it?

SomeoneLikeYou
05-02-2009, 03:30 PM
We have the BJCE now and it's wonderful but I have already noticed a couple limitations. For instance, I have a challenging time getting it through tight spaces (like the other day at the consignment shop or at my very disheveled Kohl's over the weekend). Now that I know those two places are a pita to take the Elite through, I'd like a cheapo umbrella for the future. I'm sure there will be other places where a small thing would be appropriate as well.

After spending as much as we did on the stroller and all of the fun accesorries, we don't want to even consider something more than $70ish bucks but if we get a non-celebrated brand stroller in our price range, will we regret it? Will we have just wasted good money on a relative p.o.s.? lol

Should I do this or just finally learn how to get DD in the back-wearing position of the Ergo myself!!! But, yanno, sometimes you just don't feel like wearing a 22lb kiddo, too...............

Thoughts?

jenny
05-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Your DD will be 1 soon, so I think you might want to look into getting a Maclaren volo on Ebay for $70.

Here's a white and red 2007 volo for $70 with free shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Maclaren-Volo-Crimson-Powder-Pink-2007-Stroller_W0QQitemZ260401129434QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca11de7da&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

I only suggest the Mac b/c if you're going to spend $50 on an umbrella stroller, you might as well pay an extra $20 and get quality manufacturing and excellent steering KWIM?

KBecks
05-02-2009, 06:04 PM
I love our volo. I love having a tiny stroller in the fleet.

KBecks
05-02-2009, 06:05 PM
And you can resell yours later for a slightly better amount than a cheapie.

WatchingThemGrow
05-02-2009, 06:12 PM
If you're considering TTC again, though, beware the Volo won't have the recline for the new baby for quite some time. I like the Triumph better for that reason (3 mos). I actually used it alot when DS could go in the Ergo and the Triumph helped us get into small spaces.

I'd say to just save up and get a Triumph you'd use and enjoy for the long run. You may be able to find one for a good deal on CL if you're diligent. I've seen them for $50-70 periodically. We wouldn't be happy with a cheap umbrella or with just a Volo. I swapped with a friend who needed a recline for her 3 mo. old, and I had her Volo for a few months. We were glad to get ours back.

mkg9
05-04-2009, 11:25 AM
We've got an UppaBaby Vista as our main stroller, but I just picked this Kolcraft Tour Sport (http://www.kolcraft.com/product.aspx?id=99&shopby=category) up practically brand new from a Craigslist seller for $10 (she bought it at Disney World and used it for 4 days and has the same one already for quick trips at home).

I used it myself at Kohl's this weekend, and I was pleasantly surprised by how well it steers. The only thing I might add to it is shoulder straps (should be an easy addition).