PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with treating psoriasis on a baby?

gatorsmom
05-02-2009, 07:54 PM
So, after consulting a pediatric Dermatologist as well as a Pediatric Allergist about Sisi's eczema, we found out that she has very mild eczema- and some huge patches of psoriasis. Her entire scalp is covered with it. She scratches so hard she draws blood nearly every other day. And there are about 5 other quarter-sized patches on her arms and trunk. The poor little thing.

The derm prescribed her Salicylic Acid to be applied 2x/day and Fluocinolone to be applied 2x/per day. The allergist suggested dabbing the worst spots with Triamcinolone .1% as needed.

Anyone have experience with this? It sounds like a lot of drugs for an 18mo baby. Makes me nervous.

MontrealMum
05-02-2009, 08:07 PM
My dad has had severe psoriasis for years and some of the things he's found that help are sun exposure, oatmeal baths (like for eczema) and cremes, and Keflex shots. The last one is very effective, but also very harsh, and not likely to be offered to your DD (hard on kidneys or liver? and reproductive organs I think). For treatement in between he just uses a prescription cortisone and Aveeno for upkeep. I think the least "chemical" of all the options is sun exposure - back in the 70s my dad did 15 min. a day w/ a sun lamp in the basement during the winter. Obviously, there is skin cancer to think about too, but 15 min. balanced against bleeding and discomfort might be a good enough trade-off to get things under control, I don't know.

ETA: I think there was a special shampoo too, but I've noticed that he hasn't used it lately, of course, he doesn't have much hair to wash. I think he may have stopped using it, though, because it had lots of harsh chemicals which *may* have been making things worse. For the life of me I can't remember the name, but you can get it anywhere - it's usually near the Selson Blue-type products.

clb
05-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Another thing is to eliminate night shades from her diet.
I'm sending you a pm.

DrSally
05-02-2009, 10:50 PM
I heard sun exposure is really supposed to help.