PDA

View Full Version : WOHM's - when do you find time to exercise?

LD92599
05-02-2009, 10:26 PM
I can't find the time lately to exercise except for 1st thing in the AM's which has always been my preference, but i usually stick w/ the treadmill for 15 minutes and that's it. I used to be able to get a long walk in early before work and again after work, but that was when DS was in a stroller! That's NOT the case these days but i need to do something!

When I get home from work, it's: cook dinner, homework, straighten up, bed time, etc. We'll usually either run a few errands and/or head to the park where I TRY to walk a few laps in between playground stoppages. Once DS is in bed i'm exhausted and just relaxed either online or watching TV.

HELP! I *know* i need to get into a better exercise routine FOR. ME.

MMEand1
05-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Can you go to work a little earlier and then get off a little earlier in order to get some workout time after work before you get home?

I know how hard it is to get that workout time in there. I am training for a half marathon and a 200 mile relay and I am so fortunate that my DH is so understanding and will help me get some run time in.

I usually stay after work long enough to get a couple of miles in at the track/trail before I come home. By the time I get home, DH is usually starting to get dinner plated and the kids to the table...makes my life so much easier!

Good luck! I know how hard it is to get "me" time in.

LD92599
05-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Can you go to work a little earlier and then get off a little earlier in order to get some workout time after work before you get home?

No, because i drop DS off at school and then run to work (OK...drive).

I am trying to get a few laps/day in around the parking lot, which is easier on days w/o clients in the office, but i'm keeping a pair of sneakers under my desk for when I can. I think I need to pencil that into lunch hour....being sure to take "me" time and WALK.

smiles33
05-02-2009, 11:02 PM
I do drop-off/pick-up of my DD, too, so the only time I can exercise is a a short walk at work unless I got up super early (before 5 am?) to run/shower/get ready before she gets up at 6.

I don't have a normal lunch hour, as my students tend to drop by during the 11:30-1:30 window so I try to get out of my office at 2 or 3 for a 30-45 minute walk around campus. I keep a pair of sneakers in my storage closet with my emergency earthquake kit so I can do a brisk walk. However, it's not a real cardio workout as I can't do anything more strenuous as I'd get sweaty and there's no place to shower. In the summer, when students aren't around, I usually take an outdoors Pilates/yoga class during my lunch hour. It's a real treat to get out of the office and enjoy some light core-building exercise.

pb&j
05-03-2009, 12:16 PM
I go to the gym during my lunch hour. I *could* take a shorter lunch and get off work earlier, but honestly I need the exercise to stay sane.

When I don't have a nursling and am not pumping at work, I will sometimes take a quick break to walk around the block.

I also try to walk once or twice a week after work with one or both kids in the double BOB. I have a regular walking buddy, so that helps keep me honest.

And we are finally getting a gym just a mile away from our house - I will probably go after the kids are in bed. It doesn't work for everyone to exercise at night, but I've always like to do that and it actually helps me sleep better.

stillplayswithbarbies
05-03-2009, 12:28 PM
I go right after work. If I come home first, I would never get back out of the house, so I go to the Y first and then come home.

stefani
05-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Finally I think I figure out what works for me: during lunch hour, 3 days a week I go to Curves. I can drive there, change, do the workout, stretch, change back, and drive back to the office in 1 hour 15 minutes. So the workout is only 35 minutes, but that's all I can pull off at the moment.

GL!

arivecchi
05-03-2009, 02:17 PM
I go during lunch time. I just started doing this and I love it. Not only do I get a quick work-out in (about 45 minutes), I also don't go out for lunch anymore to pig out with colleagues!

citymama
05-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I can't find the time lately to exercise except for 1st thing in the AM's which has always been my preference, but i usually stick w/ the treadmill for 15 minutes and that's it. I used to be able to get a long walk in early before work and again after work, but that was when DS was in a stroller! That's NOT the case these days but i need to do something!

When I get home from work, it's: cook dinner, homework, straighten up, bed time, etc. We'll usually either run a few errands and/or head to the park where I TRY to walk a few laps in between playground stoppages. Once DS is in bed i'm exhausted and just relaxed either online or watching TV.

HELP! I *know* i need to get into a better exercise routine FOR. ME.

Um, how about almost never? I feel this way too. I haven't been able to get into an exercise routine/make it a priority since DD's birth 3 yrs ago! Which is ridiculous, since obviously others are able to - the best DH and I do is a hike on weekends. That said, I use public transit to get around, spend a lot of time with DD on the playground etc, so I'm certainly active, but don't have time to run, go to the gym, do yoga, and all the other things I did prior to DD's birth. But DH and I are going to try to get some exercise into our schedule a few times a week during lunch - our spring resolution.

Tinkerbell313
05-03-2009, 08:11 PM
10:30 at night...1/2 hour on the ellipitical...while not the most ideal time...its the only time. ..I can get...and I am so exhausted by then...but since I just joined WW and I need to lose some weight, I figure its better than nothing...again...no matter how tired I am.