PDA

View Full Version : Help with cast iron?

SASM
05-03-2009, 10:13 AM
I have had my cast iron pans for a while and they just haven't been working out as well as I'd hoped. I just reseasoned them again according to the Lodge site and posted the usage instructions for DH. Now we are hopefully go to go again. What are some good things to cook initially as to not destroy the pan so soon and help with the seasoning process? Eggs are our ultimate goal ~ we haven't had much luck with them. I really want the pan well-seasoned before we try eggs again.

TIA!!

JTsMom
05-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Think fatty stuff- bacon, fried chicken, etc. Your arteries may get clogged, but your pan will be in good shape. ;)

bubbaray
05-03-2009, 11:09 AM
I still don't do eggs or pancakes in mine. Pretty much everything else, though. I cook eggs and pancakes on low, so I don't worry about the teflon quite as much as when I'm cooking ground turkey on high, KWIM?

brittone2
05-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Yep, the greasy stuff. Things that will give off grease especially (bacon, sausage, etc.)

JTsMom
05-03-2009, 12:42 PM
I should add that when DH cooks eggs, he still uses a little bit of oil or butter.

ThreeofUs
05-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Fried chicken or fish is good - but no tomato- or wine-based sauces!

SASM
05-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Okay...I am actually in trouble here b/c I somehow do not cook really high-fat foods, however, to look at me one would NEVER know! I just do not fry foods...saute yes...fry no. I doubt that turkey bacon would count. How about turkey sausage or a 90% beef hamburger?

bubbaray
05-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Yeah, the turkey sausage and ground beef/chicken/turkey count. Especially if you add oil (canola) to help keep it non-stick. You don't need a lot of oil.

I've never fried anything in my life -- I wouldn't have a clue how to do that.

MontrealMum
05-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Can you try browning ground beef? Even if it's extra-lean it will still give off some fat and you can use it in sauces or lasagne or something. Or you could do stew beef or cubed beef to put in soup or something. I'm not sure if turkey bacon/sausage give off much fat - when we do them (rarely!) we do the real thing, so sorry I can't help with that, but maybe like Melissa said if you add some oil. Or like Ivy said, chicken or fish with some olive oil?

We actually never cook eggs in our regular cast iron, though DH does bannok and pancakes. We have some enamaled cast-iron that I always use for eggs.

SASM
05-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Yeah, the turkey sausage and ground beef/chicken/turkey count. Especially if you add oil (canola) to help keep it non-stick. You don't need a lot of oil.

I've never fried anything in my life -- I wouldn't have a clue how to do that.
Okay...that is GOOD!! Thank you, Melissa!

SASM
05-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Can you try browning ground beef? Even if it's extra-lean it will still give off some fat and you can use it in sauces or lasagne or something. Or you could do stew beef or cubed beef to put in soup or something. I'm not sure if turkey bacon/sausage give off much fat - when we do them (rarely!) we do the real thing, so sorry I can't help with that, but maybe like Melissa said if you add some oil. Or like Ivy said, chicken or fish with some olive oil?

We actually never cook eggs in our regular cast iron, though DH does bannok and pancakes. We have some enamaled cast-iron that I always use for eggs.
Hi Molly!

That is actually a good idea! I think that I'll pick up some higher fat beef just for the fat and then drain it and save. Thanks!

Do you REALLY cook eggs in your enameled cast iron?? I have tried cooking eggs in my LC and they stick like crazy with canola. :( I guess I just have to try cooking them on low and see how it goes. Thanks!

MontrealMum
05-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi Sharyn!

It's funny thinking about this because I guess I just use certain pans out of habit - I'm not sure. I will say that DH got me two beautiful Calphalon pans for Xmas so I'm also trying to learn how to cook with those.

I usually use an enamaled pan for eggs because of its size, but I do use butter not oil - don't know if this makes a difference? I'm not sure if this helps or not, but sometimes my pan choices are made according to size of pan or whether it has a lid or not; I guess I tend to use the cast iron more for meat, and the enamaled/stainless (which have lids) more for veg. For grilled cheese I have a small lidded stainless, and I use butter. Also, I use either olive oil or butter (I love butter) but I don't tend to use canola - I'll do butter if it's something where you might taste the olive oil and it would be weird (like eggs) whereas w/meat I tend to use olive oil. I don't have any real cooking training, these are just things I do out of habit from watching my mom/grandma. Also, I think it's important to use a lower heat for both types of cast iron - never higher than med. for example. Slow and simmering work better. For eggs I turn the burner on and put butter in, but I don't put the food in until the butter is melted.

JTsMom
05-03-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm sitting here trying to figure out how multiple never fry anything. Seriously, never? No fried chicken? No homemade fries, corn tortillas, nothing? We don't eat that kind of stuff everyday- don't get me wrong, but I looove fried chicken!

Anyway.... :) Yes, there's definitely an art to using cast iron. You want to keep the heat pretty moderate for most things b/c the heat distribution is really good. Also, I think that like stainless steel, you don't want to fuss with the food too soon. Let it cook undisturbed until it releases on its own. Too soon and it will stick.

bubbaray
05-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Total hijack, but Molly you might want to look into cooking on high heat with olive oil. I've been told by a nutritionist (and read) that its not very safe -- olive oil isn't stable at high temps or something and turns into a bad fat when heated?

Anyway, *I* was told by dr's and nutritionists to cook with canola oil (interestingly, Weight Watchers suggests it too) to add omega-3s to our diet as we can't have fish in the house (DD#2 is allergic).

LMPC
05-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Mmmmmm, make some cornbread in the pan...that's what my grandmother always used it for :)

MontrealMum
05-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks, Melissa. I will check that out. I had switched from canola to olive oil years ago when it was supposed to be *better*. I will admit, I very much prefer butter though to either one! I do like your idea of using the cast iron as a way to get more iron in your diet - w/ our little vegetarien, it's something I should make a more concerted effort to do more frequently - but they're heavy!

ETA: Lori, I would not have a clue how to cook/fry any of those things! That's what KFC is for ;) I know, probably sacrelige to a southerner - the only thing I ever had fried and homemade was onion rings - my grandma used to make them for us - mmm! However, if you ever wanted to make ANY of those things for me, I would gladly eat them. I have a terrible addiction to fried food.

JTsMom
05-03-2009, 09:16 PM
ETA: Lori, I would not have a clue how to cook/fry any of those things! That's what KFC is for ;) I know, probably sacrelige to a southerner - the only thing I ever had fried and homemade was onion rings - my grandma used to make them for us - mmm! However, if you ever wanted to make ANY of those things for me, I would gladly eat them. I have a terrible addiction to fried food.

Girl, that's not fried chicken! C'mon over, and I'll fix ya up. :) It's sooo yummy cooked in cast iron b/c you get these little carmelized bits on the breading. In all seriousness, it's really easy. Just dunk the chicken in some egg w/a little hot sauce thrown in, then dip in flour and throw it in the oil. Cook until it hits 170 for white meat.

I'm only a southern transplant though- I was born in Pittsburgh. Don't tell. ;)

MontrealMum
05-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Girl, that's not fried chicken! C'mon over, and I'll fix ya up. :) It's sooo yummy cooked in cast iron b/c you get these little carmelized bits on the breading. In all seriousness, it's really easy. Just dunk the chicken in some egg w/a little hot sauce thrown in, then dip in flour and throw it in the oil. Cook until it hits 170 for white meat.

I'm only a southern transplant though- I was born in Pittsburgh. Don't tell. ;)

I won't tell :) That sounds reeeeally good! Maybe someday when I can have all the windows open so I'm certain our super-sensitive smoke alarms won't go off :p

bubbaray
05-03-2009, 11:19 PM

Me too please. I actually don't think I've ever had real fried chicken. Well, unless you count KFC.

JTsMom
05-03-2009, 11:37 PM
That's it- we're all having a dinner party!