PDA

View Full Version : Question for Dance Recital Moms

WitMom
05-03-2009, 04:23 PM
DD1 has her first dance recital coming up in 2 weeks, and I want to get it "right" lol. Do the parents typically give their dancers flowers? If yes, when? At home, before/after the recital? Or at the actual recital? If you do it at the recital, how do you work the logistics of it all and keep it a surprise? I mean, if we take the flowers along with us in the van, DD1 is going to know we have them with us, and they wouldn't be a surprise. Or is it such a given that there is no element of surprise?

Also, what about the dance instructor? Are we expected to get her flowers? If so, when are they presented to her?

Can you tell I'm a novice?

bubbaray
05-03-2009, 04:31 PM
We give them after the performance, so when we pick her up from backstage. Last year, we made it a surprise. Not sure how it will work this year. I think they might sell them at the performance (ours is in a huge theatre, seats about 5,000!). I've also considered a fabric flower, which would last longer and is easier to hide.

Last year, I also did a small stuffed animal (like a beanie baby). That would be easier to hide.

I'll do an end of the year gift for the teachers, but not something at the performance. Then again, I'm not very happy with them -- the !#$% rehersals start at 8pm. That is a topic of a whole 'nother thread, though.

MaiseyDog
05-03-2009, 10:27 PM
I would ask the teacher what is the norm. DD1 had her first recital on Saturday and there is a time at the end where each girl is recognized and that is when the flowers/gift is given. So it was all well organized. The flowers were somewhat of a surprise for DD, but she did see other people bringing them into the auditorium, so I'm sure she kind of knew. DH dropped us off and then went and picked them up. It worked well for us, since she and I had to be there early to get ready and he and DD2 could come right before it started.

Melbel
05-04-2009, 07:27 AM
For our studio, flowers are given after the performance when we pick up DD2 backstage. Since we are now in our 4th year of dance, the element of surprise no longer exists. It is fun to surprise them the first time though. Could you put the flowers in the back of the van and then retrieve them after you get your DD situated backstage?

For teachers, we do an end of the year gift. The teachers are presented with a big bouquet and thanks at the end of the recital but I think it is the school who makes the purchase (our studio is an enrichment activity at DD1's elementary school).

hellokitty1
05-04-2009, 05:37 PM
our studio has a retail store come in to sell stuff like at concerts. we were oblivious the first year and bought a small mouse ballerina stuffed animal and gave it to her afterwards at the auditorium. last year we bought flowers. while i wanted to surprise her, she saw them but she was still excited to get them. if you hav relatives coming and are driving seaparately, that may be how you surprise her or if another classmate has someone else coming that can bring them.

WitMom
05-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. We will be taking two vehicles to the recital as one of us needs to be there with DD earlier than the rest of us. Whoever comes later will bring the flowers. Total "DUH!" moment on my part. Leave it to me to make things more complicated than they need to be. Thanks to those of you that reminded me of this.