PDA

View Full Version : Do you think your house will be the "party" house for your kids?

SnuggleBuggles
05-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Not talking alcohol, talking about whether you will be willing to host more PG rated affairs for your kids when they are teens.

My neighbors have a high schooler and last night they hosted a cast party after the h.s. musical. I was trying to decide if when the time comes we will be one of the families that host things or not. I never hosted parties at my house when I was in h.s. but dh did.

I like the idea of my kids and their friends hanging out at our house but I don't think I want to have the big parties here.

What do you think?

Beth

newbiemom
05-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Ideally, I think I would like for our house to be the place where kids hang out - nothing big, but just a place to hang out. I had always thought I would never get my kids any game system until an experienced mom told me that she felt the same way until her son got older, and then she realized that she'd rather have the game systems in her house for her son and friends to hang out and play with than for him to go elsewhere.

as for big parties and such, if we continue to live in the house we're in now, it just wouldn't be big enough!

LexyLou
05-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Yes, totally, 100%. My house was always a hang out house. I think it's great because that's how you really get to know who your kids are hanging out with. If you're quiet and just listen, you can learn a lot and if they're at your house, you learn A LOT + you know where they are and know they are safe.

bubbaray
05-03-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm fine with hosting parties, but NOT ones with any substances -- lawyer me, I'd be worried about liability issues. I overhead some moms talking yesterday at my WW meeting and one had hosted a party, with alcohol, for her 15yo the night before. Um, yeah, not comfy with that AT ALL.

I'm sure DH would be OK hosting parties. He wants the girls to live at home until they are 25. Of course, we'll be in our 100's by the, so we need them to be are live-in caregivers. LOL.:ROTFLMAO:

strollerqueen
05-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I told mine they are never, ever leaving, and to not even think about it, lol! My house IS the neighborhood hangout house now. I usually have anywhere from 5-10 kids here on a daily basis. It's more work for me for sure, and DH complains about our grocery bill. But at least I know where they are, and what they are all doing. I love having parties. Having the funds to do so is the biggest drawback.

MontrealMum
05-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Strangely, my house was *the* house to party at AFTER I moved out. My parents had divorced and my dad used to get the neighbor (2 yrs my junior) to housesit when he was away. Noone had a clue what was going on...as if the empties and who knows what else didn't tip anyone off? I guess it wasn't an issue because of the cleaning lady, but I digress...Anyways, noone knew until my cousin Holly (same age as housesitting guy) was invited to a huge bash and realized the amazingly wild and popular party was at her uncle's house. That ended right quick I'll tell you..

So, no, I don't want to become that kind of party house. But the kind of house that has tons of kids over because they have a pool (tho that has its own liability issues), or a big yard, or a cool mom :jammin: or hosts the uber-cool drama club cast party - that's OK with me. I think we'll have to move first, though ;)

kransden
05-04-2009, 12:49 AM
I like parties, if dd wants them, we'll have them. No illegal stuff of course.

clc053103
05-04-2009, 08:15 AM
When we had our basement finished, we joked that we were ahead of the game in getting a place for DS to smoke pot (JUST JOKING!!) But I do have visions of the kids "hanging" here- big tv room, playroom area will eventually have a pool table. Definitely would prefer the kids under my roof and watchful eye! Around here, it seems teen drinking isn't the "cool" thing that it used to be, luckily.

bethie_73
05-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Growing up all my friends split time between my house and one other friend. So yep I kind of expect it to be the same with DS.

That said I had a friend whose house was known for the co ed sleepovers and drinking. I admit I was never comfortable there, and I'm not one to let my son have all his friends over to drink.

Of course I'll be living in Costa Rica then so it's probably a moot point :hysterical:

lorinick
05-04-2009, 08:46 AM
I know for sure it would not be my house. Dh hates noise everything gets on his nerves. So not here.

KBecks
05-04-2009, 09:07 AM
I would like it to be. We have a great yard, but I need to finish the basement. If/when we finish it, I will plan for teen amenities, including stocked snacks and entertainment features.

Even if we are not the party house, I want the basement finished for an extra toilet/shower and more room to roam for growing boys.

hellokitty
05-04-2009, 11:03 AM
I would much prefer my kids and their friends hang out at our place, than someone else's place. As for partying, I am really kind of hoping that my kids follow my DH's and my footsteps and tend to NOT be the partying type... and by partying type I mean the heavy drinking/drugs type of partying.

pb&j
05-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Yep. We finished our basement in anticipation of our house being where DCs friends will want to hang out. I would much rather have them under my own roof than send them out into the world. I would *not* allow coed sleepovers or "substances" of any kind. I know I am a harda** about this kind of thing, and I can't depend on other kids' parents to be the same way. So, if I want to monitor my child's behavior, yes, I do *want* the kids congregating at our house.

My friends *always* came over to my house when I was growing up. My mom was smart to keep the fridge stocked! ;)

brittone2
05-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Yes, I would like our house to be the hang out house, even if that means a fridge full of Coke/Pepsi and Doritos in the pantry ;)

The catch I have w/ throwing parties of the non-alcoholic variety is that I can recall situations in high school where people had alcohol stashed in their cars (and would "go out for a CD" or whatever and drink while out there.). Or leave to pick someone up, or pick up a snack, or whatever and then drink/drive while out and about. I remember friends doing this during graduation time for example, even at non alcoholic parties thrown with parents and other adults around. THey still found a way to drink. That part makes me a little anxious about throwing bigger parties, even if I'm not supplying alcohol, kwim?

g-mama
05-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Absolutely I think it will be. My dh LOVES throwing parties and has since he was in highschool. He was known throughout his town (his own HS and neighboring highschools) as being the guy who had the best parties. And there was NO alcohol. His mom was very cool with having tons of kids there and his friends would DJ down in his basement. He even charged admission fees and people paid it. People may have drank on their own but it was not allowed in the house.

We are already the house where all the family gatherings take place b/c we have the space and a perfect layout for entertaining. My oldest ds asked this weekend why all the parties are always at our house. Sometimes it makes me crazy b/c it costs a lot of money and the majority of the work falls on me, but at the same time, I do enjoy being the hostess and seeing people have fun at my home.

erosenst
05-05-2009, 08:32 PM
We're hoping it will be...and did some things when we built with that in mind.

As at least one PP said - I'd rather have them here and know what's going on, rather than somewhere else and wondering. Plus I hope DD will *want* to have them here.

Emily