PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about no-poo, please

KrisM
05-03-2009, 09:14 PM
I've tried searching, but no poo is too short. Anyway, it was suggested that I no-poo my DD's curly hair and just wash with conditioner. I've never heard of no-poo, so it's new to me! Is it only for curly hair to look better? Is it something that I, with straight hair, could do for eliminating chemicals?

How do you do it?

TwinFoxes
05-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Try this:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/all-about-the-no-poo-routine-2

Ouidad is a product line that also has info about caring for curly hair.

Basically, curly hair tends to be drier, and shampoo makes it even more dry. Conditioner will clean curly hair fine.

I think there are plenty of shampoos without chemicals if you're worried about that. That's not the purpose of no poo. Plus, conditioners can have chemicals as well.

KrisM
05-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Try this:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/all-about-the-no-poo-routine-2

Ouidad is a product line that also has info about caring for curly hair.

Basically, curly hair tends to be drier, and shampoo makes it even more dry. Conditioner will clean curly hair fine.

I think there are plenty of shampoos without chemicals if you're worried about that. That's not the purpose of no poo. Plus, conditioners can have chemicals as well.

Thanks for the link. That's a lot of conditioner to use! I'll have to stock up and give it a try. I wouldn't have every thought to use so much. I'm not sure how to convince DD to sit through the process though. I'll give it a try!

TwinFoxes
05-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Good luck! One thing to keep in mind (well two) is to use a comb instead of a brush so it doesn't get bushy/frizzy, and try to comb the hair while it's wet rather than dry. I hope your daughter learns to embrace her curls! :)

ellies mom
05-03-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm not sure how to convince DD to sit through the process though. I'll give it a try!

I don't go through all of that spot by spot scrubbing with my DD. I just give her her scalp a good rub down with my fingertips. It doesn't take much longer than a regular shampoo. During a "hair washing", the amount of conditioner I use equals the amount of shampoo and conditioner I would use otherwise. Like I said in my other post, it really takes no time at all to do her hair.

Wife_and_mommy
05-03-2009, 10:39 PM
it really takes no time at all to do her hair.

Yes! I regret how much dd's hair drove me crazy when it was curly. It was so easy to maintain! I brush her out now and that takes patience I. do. not. have. She wants to grow it out and so far it's about at her shoulder blades. She does well most days but I so remember how much my mom yanked on my head. Having long hair is work!

KrisM
05-03-2009, 10:43 PM
I don't go through all of that spot by spot scrubbing with my DD. I just give her her scalp a good rub down with my fingertips. It doesn't take much longer than a regular shampoo. During a "hair washing", the amount of conditioner I use equals the amount of shampoo and conditioner I would use otherwise. Like I said in my other post, it really takes no time at all to do her hair.

Good to know. DH does baths, so I'll let him know.

Do you have a rec for a conditioner to use? I haven't been using any, except the spray in detangler kind. I don't use it myself, so I never really thought about it for her. Bad, straight hair, mommy!

KrisM
05-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Yes! I regret how much dd's hair drove me crazy when it was curly. It was so easy to maintain! I brush her out now and that takes patience I. do. not. have. She wants to grow it out and so far it's about at her shoulder blades. She does well most days but I so remember how much my mom yanked on my head. Having long hair is work!

It's not curly now? Did the curl go away with a cut? I'm going to go ahead and cut her hair this week. I'm sad and very afraid that the curls will all be gone. I really hope not.

ellies mom
05-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Good to know. DH does baths, so I'll let him know.

Do you have a rec for a conditioner to use? I haven't been using any, except the spray in detangler kind. I don't use it myself, so I never really thought about it for her. Bad, straight hair, mommy!

I like California Baby's Leave-in conditioner. It is very light so it doesn't weigh down her hair and it is supposed to be tear-free. You can add it to water and use it as a detangler too. It actually works better than their detangler for my purposes.

I agree with the PP to do everything to it while it is wet and definitely use a wide tooth comb instead of a brush.

And most importantly, learn to be one with the curls. Always work with them rather than try to make them something they are not.

KrisM
05-03-2009, 11:20 PM
I like California Baby's Leave-in conditioner. It is very light so it doesn't weigh down her hair and it is supposed to be tear-free. You can add it to water and use it as a detangler too. It actually works better than their detangler for my purposes.

I agree with the PP to do everything to it while it is wet and definitely use a wide tooth comb instead of a brush.

And most importantly, learn to be one with the curls. Always work with them rather than try to make them something they are not.

Thanks again. I'll see if I can get that tomorrow.

How do you keep her hair from tangling overnight? Mornings are a mess. I imagine shorter will help that.

m448
05-03-2009, 11:29 PM
I know kids can be funny about stuff on their heads (heck one of mine has an anti lotion policy) but if she can tolerate a small soft scrunchy, then do a little pineapple pony on her at night. Just bring her hair as high up on her head as you can with your hands and put on the scrunchy, not too tight. This keeps the curls up and out of her face at night, plus keeps the tangles at bay.

I agree with the moms who have posted already. I don't even do the spot on spot scrubbing on my own head, just gobs of conditioner and I scrub my scalp, then rinse. I do no poo on my boys too not because they're curly but because they were prone to cradle cap and that took care of it.

I used mostly suave naturals conditioner since it has the right amount of slip, no buildup ingredients and cheap enough to gob on. Now I'm tweaking a recipe to make my own without the less than desirable ingredients but I know Beth has mentioned no pooing with Giovanni stuff which is decently priced at lucky vitamin.

ellies mom
05-04-2009, 01:58 AM
When it is long enough, I do a high ponytail. I haven't tried it but I hear a satin pillowcase really helps. You could also try a braid or two.

Right now Ellie's hair is too short for a night time pony tail but even as curly as it is, I don't have a lot of problems brushing it out in the morning. I just spritz it with water and work a bit of conditioner into it. Her hair is a lot curlier than your daughter's so I'd try putting some in the water bottle first rather than working it straight in like I do. Sometimes giving it a minute to soak in before combing it helps.