PDA

View Full Version : Exactly how worried are you about swine flu?

TwinFoxes
05-03-2009, 11:34 PM
I've seen a lot of different reactions here to the swine flu outbreak. I'm just curious, on a scale of 1-10 how worried are you? Let's say:

1 = "Cool, bargain flights to Cabo!!"
10 = "I'll answer as soon as I put on this new surgical mask."

I'm at about a 3 (bought an extra hand sanitizer). DH is a 6 going on 7 (takes DC's temperatures twice a day.) Where do you stand?

JTsMom
05-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Eh- maybe a 2 or 3? We've had 1 case nearby, so it's not like I'm in one of the hot zones. I figure if we all survived SARS and bird flu, we'll get through this too. I did pause for a moment before taking DS to a big event on Friday (that was the day the case here was announced), but we still went.

MontrealMum
05-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Maybe a 2 or 3 here too? There is a supposed case somewhere in QC, don't know if it's Mtl. or Quebec City, or even a more rural area. But we had SARS so close by a few years back (Toronto) and were fine. The daycare sent home a form letter on Fri. basically saying "wash your hands", "use Tylenol for temps", and letting us know that everyone practices good hygeine at the daycare (as usual) and that there have been no confirmed cases in this province as yet. The only precautions we've taken so far is that my parents, who are flying up for my graduation at the end of May, are getting flight insurance this time around. In case they have to cancel or something because of health concerns or travel advisories. We bought the CA Baby new hand sanitizer anyways because we were ordering our summer sunscreen ;) Thought we'd try it out.

bubbaray
05-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Well, until DD#1 got sick yesterday (a couple days after our return flight via LAX from Disney), I was about a 1 or 2. Last night I was about a 4 -- DH was about a 9. He was convinced DD#1 had swine flu. A call to our nurse line this morning cleared that up (she'd have to have other, mainly respiratory, symptoms), but it kinda jolted me a bit.

People here are freaking out though. I got hand sanitizer yesterday only b/c I found a random bottle and the shelves were otherwise cleared of it, so being the lemming that I am, I went with it. And, I've got everyone washing their hands as soon as they walk in the house from being out and about -- normally we wash hands before and after eating, and after using the bathroom.

wencit
05-04-2009, 12:05 AM
I've calmed down a bit since the media scaremongering has also died down a little, probably at about a 3-4 now. Late last week I was at around a 7. There's a confirmed case in the city next to mine, which worries me a little, but not enough to totally curtail my daily activities. My biggest worries are caused by the fact that I'm pregnant right now; if I wasn't, I think I'd be a lot more zen about the whole thing.

sste
05-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Probably a 2. DS has his normal schedule of music class, bookstore outings, etc but we chose not to go the children's museum (indoor crawling space/maze thing for infants and toddlers) today and instead took him in his stroller to a farm to see cows and chickens. We probably all have avian flu now.

I am very confused as to whether this flu is much worse in symptoms, mortality etc. than other flus? My impression has been that it is not the most virulent flu strain out there - - but I have not researched this enough to say with any certainty.

SpaceGal
05-04-2009, 12:13 AM
I was a 1...but then Thursday I was hit with flu-like symptoms...basically I just wanted to DIE! I had the chills, fever, body aches...it was awful. But it only last 24 hours and the next day I felt 90% better...only had my usual breathing problems due to asthma and coughing. I did go see the doctor and she ruled out swine flu. I'm in Central NY and have not travelled anywhere as of late...come on 3 kids, one being 3 months old. She told me probably just the big temperature changes in the weather that caused me to get so sick.

So now all that said and done, DS #1 got my cold and wasn't feeling to great last night and this morning. I probably won't send him to preschool due to the swine flu paranoia. But I do generally agree that we survived SARS and bird flu...we should be okay through this. My son and I getting sick just happen to happen...KWIM.

kijip
05-04-2009, 12:53 AM
2. Not a 1, but certainly no more than 2.

The recorded updates from T's school district are hilarious because there are (were at the time? I dunno if that has changed) NO CONFIRMED cases in our area.

strollerqueen
05-04-2009, 02:11 AM
Well, we went to Cinco de Mayo celebrations, and had dinner at a Mexican restaurant tonight. I was with a scientist friend today who is working on the vaccine. She swears Swine Flu is far more benign than people are saying; and that the bird flu is far worse.

citymama
05-04-2009, 02:39 AM
I'm probably a 3 as well, in that I stocked up on hand sanitizer (which we needed anyway) and have been hand washing more (both DD and me). But we've been to indoor birthday parties, ridden on the subway, attended Cinco de Mayo celebrations outdoors. We did choose to skip the aquarium and a kid's museum to avoid unnecessary exposure to crowds of kids (we're in CA)...I can't say I'm totally nonchalant. DH is more of a 5 or 6. (Funny how the husbands seem more freaked out, isn't it?)

egoldber
05-04-2009, 06:19 AM
3 (bought an extra hand sanitizer)

If this is a 3, then I'm a 2. I don't feel a need to find a bargain to Cabo, but I don't even own any hand sanitizer. ;)

Melbel
05-04-2009, 07:00 AM
Maybe a 3? I have not even been reading the other swine flu threads, so I guess overall I am somewhat nonchalant. We now have a suspected case and school closings in a suburb about 20 minutes away so it is starting to hit closer to home. We routinely use hand sanitizer in the car when I pick up DS and DD1 from school and wash hands before eating and after the bathroom. I was just ready to start DD2 in some play classes and also take her to a gym childcare that has at most 1-2 kids at a time. Given DD2's immature GI system and our recent stomach flu that lasted over 2 weeks, I am now going to wait it out a bit to be on the safe side. Otherwise, we are still going to birthday parties, activities and church as usual.

maestramommy
05-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Maybe a 2-3? I just read of 3 reported cases in our area (not confirmed yet). All were hospital workers, none traveled to Mexico, or knew anyone who did. They are taking anti-virals and staying home. We just keep following the same basics that we would for regular flu.

o_mom
05-04-2009, 07:24 AM
Also at a 2-3 here. We have two local schools closed with confirmed cases. I took stock of our supplies and found a 2L bottle of hand sanitizer and a couple bottles of pedialyte on hand. I think DH bought it when we went through a nasty round of GI bugs and it never got opened. I added some basic pantry supplies to the grocery list and stepped up supervision of hand washing, but that's about it.

mamicka
05-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Gosh I'd say I'm a 1 with the exception that I can't afford a bargain basement ticket to anywhere, but I'd go if I could - with the kids no less.

I'm using the same precautions about avoiding the "regular" flu.

Twoboos
05-04-2009, 08:12 AM
DH is more of a 5 or 6. (Funny how the husbands seem more freaked out, isn't it?)

This is so true! DD2 has been complaining of a belly ache - DH is convinced she has swine flu. No temp, no resp symptoms, no vomitting... but she has swine flu. C'mon, DH!!

Anyway - I am probably a 2-3. I haven't done anything to take precautions, but my brain keeps at it. My brother was supposed to vaca in Cancun last week, and I really didn't want him to go. (He didn't want to either! THe trip was postponed.) And, MIL is coming on Wed from SoCal, so this is pushing me to 3. SoCal, airplane, etc. I wonder if she'd be offended if I douse her in Purell and rinse her off w/the hose when she arrives? :hysterical:

AngelaS
05-04-2009, 08:20 AM
I'm probably about a 2. I'm not doing anything different other than giving my girls Vitamin D. (We'd been giving them C, but ran out so I bought D. :))

JTsMom
05-04-2009, 08:39 AM
What is it with all the DH's being so freaked out?!

sarahsthreads
05-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Gosh I'd say I'm a 1 with the exception that I can't afford a bargain basement ticket to anywhere, but I'd go if I could - with the kids no less.

I'm using the same precautions about avoiding the "regular" flu.

Same here. And DH might actually be at level 0, if that's possible. My grandparents, OTOH...they want me to pull DD1 out of school for the rest of the year. They're at level 1,000,000. Or so.

Sarah :)

lorinick
05-04-2009, 08:44 AM
[QUOTE=kijip;2364499]2. Not a 1, but certainly no more than 2.

:yeahthat:

SnuggleBuggles
05-04-2009, 08:57 AM
1.5-2. Being a bit more conscientious with hand washing and wiping things down when we are out. I would head to Cabo for a good price though so maybe I'm just a 1? :)

Of course, I have 2 boys running fevers and feeling pretty miserable. We have something here. We're surviving though even though ds2 is sleeping very badly the last 2 nights. I don't think they have the flu though. Strep throat is my guess. We'll know after their Dr.'s appts..

ETA- yep, strep throat for both.

Beth

elliput
05-04-2009, 09:18 AM
This is about where I stand also. I do have some hand sanitizer, but it is in the camping gear.

Sillygirl
05-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Seriously, except for the whole quarantine thing, I'd be kind of grateful if I got swine flu now. It seems to pretty mild and I'd rather build up the immunity to H1N1 before it mutates over the summer into something a lot more virulent, the way the 1918 flu did. I'm not seeking it out - given the tiny number of cases that would be seriously impossible. But I'm not worried at all about the current outbreak. Does that make me a negative three on your scale?

ETA: I am glad WHO is tracking it, and I am a bit worried about the over-summer mutation, which is a pattern for influenza pandemics. The calls to close the border with Mexico are nonsense, as are the bans on imported pork products and Egypt culling their pig herds. At the very least, we've had a good practice run for the inevitable Big One. But in my day to day life right now, swine flu only means phone calls from worried patients, nothing more.

missym
05-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Maybe a 2. I'm paying attention to the news, and wouldn't intentionally plan a trip to an area with known cases, but that's about the extent of my concern right now. I'm glad there are medical personnel watching/working on it, though.

schums
05-04-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm about a 2 right now. Stepping up the hand washing a bit, but not much else. We have a "just about to be confirmed" case here with a teen at the high school, and the district SHUT DOWN for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, with updates to come for the rest of the week. At least they're cleaning the schools!

Moneypenny
05-04-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm about a 1.5 (and we have lots of cases here) but I reserve the right to bump that up next fall if it comes back in a more severe form.

frgsnlzrds
05-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Seriously, except for the whole quarantine thing, I'd be kind of grateful if I got swine flu now. It seems to pretty mild and I'd rather build up the immunity to H1N1 before it mutates over the summer into something a lot more virulent, the way the 1918 flu did. I'm not seeking it out - given the tiny number of cases that would be seriously impossible. But I'm not worried at all about the current outbreak. Does that make me a negative three on your scale?

DH is definitely around -1, and I'm currently at a 4-5. But I'm already planning on being at a 9 come fall. I'm debating whether or not I want us to catch it now while it's still a normal flu, or try to dodge it when it mutates to a super flu.

TwinFoxes
05-04-2009, 12:23 PM
These are all interesting! It seems like folks aren't as worried as I thought. To you medical types...will being exposed to the H1N1 virus make you less susceptible if it becomes a worse virus in the fall? (I'm not going to run out and try to catch it or anything!)

Happy 2B mommy
05-04-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm probably at a 4-5, but mostly because I'm pg. There are 2 confirmed cases in our county of 65,000 so I know it's floating around here. I'm thinking of keeping DD out of daycare for this week and I've told DD the playland at the mall is closed (it's not). We're not going to the library either. We're still playing outside/going to the park. Usually I'm much more laid back than most - I keep wet ones in my purse, but I'm not religious about using them and I don't own hand sanitizer. I did break down and fill the soap dispensers with antibacterial soap last week.

Right now DD has a cold (no temp) and I think it's becoming a sinuis infection, but rather than go to the dr. I'm going to wait it out a while.

Sillygirl
05-04-2009, 12:37 PM
It depends if the mutation affects the epitopes.

How's that for helpful? An epitope is a small portion of the viral particle that triggers an immune response - you don't make antibodies to the whole virus, just to little portions that act as triggers. So a virus can mutate in terms of its virulence but have the same epitopes.

TwinFoxes
05-04-2009, 12:39 PM
I did break down and fill the soap dispensers with antibacterial soap last week.

Just FYI, anti-bacterial soap won't do anything against flu because flu is a virus not bacteria. There's also concern that anti-bacterial soap causes bacteria to become anti-biotic resistant, but I don't know if that is true.

ETA: I mean it won't do anything more than regular soap.

lovin2shop
05-04-2009, 12:53 PM
It depends if the mutation affects the epitopes.

How's that for helpful? An epitope is a small portion of the viral particle that triggers an immune response - you don't make antibodies to the whole virus, just to little portions that act as triggers. So a virus can mutate in terms of its virulence but have the same epitopes.

One more question for you - I've read that a vaccine is in progress for this strain of flu. If this is the case, would it provide protection for a more severe outbreak in the fall, or would it be ineffective because that meant that the virus has mutated?

lovin2shop
05-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Just FYI, anti-bacterial soap won't do anything against flu because flu is a virus not bacteria. There's also concern that anti-bacterial soap causes bacteria to become anti-biotic resistant, but I don't know if that is true.

ETA: I mean it won't do anything more than regular soap.

Yes, this worrys me more than the flu right now. In my office building, they have installed purell dispensers at the elevators, and someone from the building staff comes around every couple of hours and wipes down our door handles. Seems a little overboard to me...

Sillygirl
05-04-2009, 01:00 PM
It should work. We need a new flu vaccine each season because of "antigenic drift" - the epitopes (antigens when they're stimulating the immune system) change subtly each year. Pandemics occur with the more dramatic "antigenic shift" - suddenly the virus looks totally different to the immune system, triggering bigger responses (and people have no immunity to anything even similar.)

With H1N1 they know how the antigens have shifted, so finding a vaccine that addresses the new ones should be do-able. Mother Nature is always tricky, of course - no guarantees. But the mutations that could make this H1N1 more deadly are probably not going to also change the antigens.

daniele_ut
05-04-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm at maybe a 1.5. I looked for some hand sanitizer at Wal-Mart on saturday and shrugged and said "It figures" when there wasn't any.

We have 1 confirmed case here (a kid from Park City who went to Mexico for spring break) and 14 suspected cases.

lovin2shop
05-04-2009, 01:27 PM
It should work. We need a new flu vaccine each season because of "antigenic drift" - the epitopes (antigens when they're stimulating the immune system) change subtly each year. Pandemics occur with the more dramatic "antigenic shift" - suddenly the virus looks totally different to the immune system, triggering bigger responses (and people have no immunity to anything even similar.)

With H1N1 they know how the antigens have shifted, so finding a vaccine that addresses the new ones should be do-able. Mother Nature is always tricky, of course - no guarantees. But the mutations that could make this H1N1 more deadly are probably not going to also change the antigens.

Makes sense, thanks for answering. Sounds like it would be a very good year to make sure that we get the flu shots.

KBecks
05-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Right now I'm maybe a 3. I am considering starting a food stockpile but I wanted a freezer anyway.

I am going to keep an eye on it. I heard someone on the radio say that in the fall it might be more severe, so that makes me a little nervous.

Momof3Labs
05-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Probably a 3. We've been more diligent about hand-washing and using hand sanitizer (I keep a bottle in the car anyways), and when DH went to share his fork with DS2 the other evening, I asked if anyone had coughed on him in the ambulance the day before (he's a paramedic and brought home influenza two years ago after someone coughed in his face on the ambulance). But we still went out this weekend, including a stop at Ikea and two baby furniture stores.

We do have confirmed cases in the area - both locally, and in our larger metropolitan area.

I'd probably be lower but can't afford to get sick - not only for the health of the twins, but also because if I took too much sick time I could jeopardize my eligibility for FMLA (I'm part-time so close to the minimum number of hours required to work in a year to qualify).

MartiesMom2B
05-04-2009, 04:00 PM
I say 4 and that's only because me and DD2 have just flown back from Houston on an airplane. Otherwise I wouldn't care. I did chlorox wipe everything in the plane and I felt like I had to stick to places outdoors such as the zoo instead of going to the children's museum and I did use hand sanitizer a lot. However I felt a lot better when in Houston and going to the zoo and seeing a ton of field trips, parents with their babies out. I only saw 4 people with masks on so I do feel a lot better.

brittone2
05-04-2009, 04:16 PM
I saw our state health dept head on the news a few days ago and he said based on the current epidemiology they don't think this virus can live very long on surfaces. It is encapsulated in a fatty outer layer, and that fatty portion dries out pretty quickly apparently, causing it to die. So you are far more likely to get it from being sneezed on, etc. directly vs. picking it up from surfaces, at least according to what I've come across. I'd still use common sense and hand wash after being out in public, but I thought that was interesting.

Clarity
05-04-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm about a 3 but only because my children are in managed care. My 7 month old puts everything in her mouth, things that the other babies just had in their mouth, kwim? My eldest (nearly 3) bites her nails so I feel like they're walking targets, kwim?

Clarity
05-04-2009, 04:42 PM
ETA: I am glad WHO is tracking it, and I am a bit worried about the over-summer mutation, which is a pattern for influenza pandemics.

I feel a bit naive but I'm keep wondering if we really need to fear something like the 1918 flu. Life is significantly different from 1918, we have so much more knowledge about hygiene, we have better medicine and medical facilities (there were no anti-virals in 1918) etc. I know we have easier avenues for viral transportation (i.e. greater int'l travel) but don't we have the means to combat a pandemic?

sarahsthreads
05-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Same here. And DH might actually be at level 0, if that's possible. My grandparents, OTOH...they want me to pull DD1 out of school for the rest of the year. They're at level 1,000,000. Or so.

Oh, and I also wanted to say I'm actually slightly grateful there's a general panic, because it's given me a great excuse to not let shoppers hold my baby while I'm working at my shop - i.e. "oh, thanks for asking, but I think her pediatrician would frown on me even having her here with me if she knew, what with the new flu going around..." Yes, I'm evil.

brittone2
05-04-2009, 05:11 PM
I feel a bit naive but I'm keep wondering if we really need to fear something like the 1918 flu. Life is significantly different from 1918, we have so much more knowledge about hygiene, we have better medicine and medical facilities (there were no anti-virals in 1918) etc. I know we have easier avenues for viral transportation (i.e. greater int'l travel) but don't we have the means to combat a pandemic?

Honestly, I don't think anyone knows what will happen with this in terms of mutation, etc. in the future.

However, this quote was being thrown around a lot in the past week with respect to comparisons between the currrent H1N1 strain and the one that circulated in 1918:

"There are certain characteristics, molecular signatures, which this virus lacks," said Peter Palese, a microbiologist and influenza expert at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in New York. In particular, the swine flu lacks an amino acid that appears to increase the number of virus particles in the lungs and make the disease more deadly."

from the article below (with more comparisons to the 1918 strain):
http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-sci-swine-reality30-2009apr30,0,3606923.story

fattytuna
05-04-2009, 07:11 PM
2 yesterday and about 5 today, after a mom in my regular playgroup informed us that his DS's elementary school (as well as all after-school programs and daycare) has been shut down for the week as two 3rd-graders in his school have been test positive for swine flu. The students are to remain home during school closure. We actually don't see the boy that often, since our kids are closer to his younger sister in age. As a precaution, their whole family are staying away from everybody for now.

mom2binsd
05-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Not to make light of it, but I got this email and thought it was cute! It's a link to a pic of a toddler kissing a pig- not sure if the link will work.

http://us.mc525.mail.yahoo.com/mc/showMessage?fid=Inbox&sort=date&order=down&startMid=0&.rand=427313906&da=0&midIndex=7&mid=1_201717_ALswvs4AAESTSf4hLA77nm%2FMBIo&prevMid=1_202178_ALswvs4AAG4mSf6uSAWBjl0hH08&nextMid=1_200988_AMMwvs4AAGLeSf3q4ASs%2FW0vKiM&m=1_205317_ALwwvs4AAEFkSf8XhwuSUxxMjN4,1_204257_AM Mwvs4AADtwSf8IHAY5TAUK5%2FE,1_204720_AMAwvs4AAGbuS f8IbQJJ7nCgaNo,1_203548_AMMwvs4AAC5%2BSf8HKAJzCUay Z9g,1_202178_ALswvs4AAG4mSf6uSAWBjl0hH08,1_201717_ ALswvs4AAESTSf4hLA77nm%2FMBIo,1_200988_AMMwvs4AAGL eSf3q4ASs%2FW0vKiM,1_200363_AL4wvs4AAWbvSf3PYgAJhx onZg4,1_199666_ALkwvs4AAOhDSf3Erwp%2B6CKQ%2FZg,1_1 99052_ALswvs4AAQemSf2KiwyzZhkjN%2BQ,1_2164_AMMwvs4 AAYCVSfo2wgnyiUI5KcY,

wellyes
05-04-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm not worried - maybe a 1? All cases aside from those in Mexico have been milder than "regular" flu, at least so far, right?

It could mutate into something terrible, of course. Then again, terrorists or a whacked-out scientist like the Anthrax guy could unleash smallpox or other potential biological weapons in my town. Probably won't happen and I have enough actual problems to worry about.......... plus my anti-anxiety dose of Zoloft is apparently working LOL.

Yes, this worrys me more than the flu right now. In my office building, they have installed purell dispensers at the elevators, and someone from the building staff comes around every couple of hours and wipes down our door handles. Seems a little overboard to me...

My office has distributed hand santizier to all employees -- all 40,000 of them. Yeah, a bit overboard.

stefani
05-04-2009, 09:50 PM
I am probably at 2 or 3 under normal circumstances, even with 3 schools in my ISD being closed because of it. However, I am about to go half way around the world in a week, and leaving DS and DH behind, so I am a little more paranoid (don't want anyone to get sick). I am now at 4 or 5.