PDA

View Full Version : Ds officially is car crazy. Anyone hear of chevron cars?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
05-03-2009, 11:45 PM
So we went out into the subdivision today to meet some of the other children and met a boy and his mother who will be just catycorner to us. The son is a great kid and had a small TON of cars he was playing with. Ds was so happy to play with him and enjoyed the cars so much.

Especially the chevron cars-ds called them happy cars because they have faces and smiles. Any more southern moms know of these? Are they still for sale at chevron stations? I'm guessing the family had these because a lot of their family is in kentucy and they have easy access to them there.

Also-is there an easier way to get my hands on a large lot of metal toy cars for ds to play with? I've looked online but all I could find is cars being sold as collectors items for adults, same thing on craigslist. Any suggestions or am I locked into buying them one by one?

Ceepa
05-04-2009, 06:15 AM
so-is there an easier way to get my hands on a large lot of metal toy cars for ds to play with? I've looked online but all I could find is cars being sold as collectors items for adults, same thing on craigslist. Any suggestions or am I locked into buying them one by one?

Like Matchbox size? You can buy muntipacks of diecast cars at places like TRU, Target, Kohls. If you mean the larger ones I've only seen those sold individually.

Does your DS like cars from the Cars movie? They have faces. There are some larger versions of those on sale now.

JTsMom
05-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Have you tried ebay? You could probably find some at a thrift store too. Matchbox cars are really inexpensive- about $1 for the basic ones. You could give DS a $20 gift card for Target and let him go crazy. :)

I've paid next to nothing for most of ours. One year at Christmastime, Publix grocery stores had $1 off any toy coupon, and I stockpiled cars. We've also gotten some at Kohls. They sell the multi-packs, and DH and I each used one of those $5 coupons that you get for signing up for their emails.

rlu
05-04-2009, 03:48 PM
I have a few chevron cars that I bought over the years. I think I bought the trailer on our drive out from TX to CA in 2004 in (maybe?) Arizona and I already had the pink breast cancer one from before. I might have bought that at a Pilot station (truck stop). I haven't seen them for a while, but the cars are still in their commercials. They might come out over the holidays?

The CARS cars are a little larger than hot wheels/matchbox. You can get them in packs or singly at Target or Walmart. Maybe about $3 a car? Can't remember.

A long time ago KB Toys would put the hot wheels on sale 3/$1, limit 15 per purchase. DH and I took a few turns and stocked up big time for little kid gift giving. This was long before DS though so my little cousins and Toys for Tots benefited from those purchases. Not sure KB is even around anymore. At Target, etc., you can get boxes of 5 cars for a little less than buying them individually.

Frankly, DS has a large hot wheel/matchbox collection because both I and DH had some to pass down and we buy them at garage sales. Oh McD also has them every now and then with their kid meals.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
05-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Not matchbox cars, bigger. Say about 8-9 inches in length maybe a little smaller. Something that is metal or heavy plastic that can really take a beating.

daniele_ut
05-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Especially the chevron cars-ds called them happy cars because they have faces and smiles. Any more southern moms know of these? Are they still for sale at chevron stations? I'm guessing the family had these because a lot of their family is in kentucy and they have easy access to them there.

Here in Utah they sell the Chevron cars at all the Holiday Oil convenience stores that are attached to Chevron stations.

As for lots of Matchbox cars, you can usually find 10 packs at TRU and Target. We basically bought them one by one and gave them to DS as rewards for little things. It was his currency for a looooong time!

rlu
05-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Not matchbox cars, bigger. Say about 8-9 inches in length maybe a little smaller. Something that is metal or heavy plastic that can really take a beating.

We found bigger "collector" cars at Walgreens that are larger - can't find at the moment to measure. HOWEVER, the bumper came off after a day or two of play so I can't recommend them. The FP shake cars are bigger than hot wheels but made of plastic. DS has the police car and it's held up pretty well here.

o_mom
05-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Viking toys makes a 'tub' of vehicles that would probably be the closest in size to what you are talking about, but no faces. They have a few sizes - 4", 5", etc. If you search, you will find reviews here.

JTsMom
05-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Do you think he would go for Cars ones? They have faces too. The Disney store had larger ones that are pretty reasonably priced. They talk though- and the Chick one is obnoxious. Oddly enough, ours doesn't work any more! :p DS doesn't miss the noise one bit though. They are the kind of car that you can pull back, and it goes for a few feet. I can't find them on the website- they aren't the small 4 inch style. Not sure if they still have them or not.

Neatfreak
05-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Here's the website for Chevron Cars: www.chevroncars.com and it looks like they can be bought on-line.

DD has a few of them. They are a nice size - much bigger than Hot Wheels or Matchbox ...

rlu
05-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Here's the website for Chevron Cars: www.chevroncars.com and it looks like they can be bought on-line.

DD has a few of them. They are a nice size - much bigger than Hot Wheels or Matchbox ...

Oh, cool! Thanks for the link.