PDA

View Full Version : How do you dispose of Liquor?

HIU8
05-04-2009, 09:06 AM
DH and I have two cases of liquor in the basement leftover from our wedding. They have never been touched. We just keep moving them around. We are never going to drink them. DH and I want to get rid of them, don't know how. Do we need to empty them down the drain? Take them to a liquor store for disposal? Does anyone know?

elliput
05-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Do you have friends or family that would be willing to take some of it?

HIU8
05-04-2009, 09:30 AM
unfortunately no family wants it. I'm thinking of asking some of my neighbors if they want it. Most of my neighbors will drink it and we do not.

TwinFoxes
05-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Here's a problem I've never had! I guess it would be illegal to sell it. I wonder what about freecycle? That's a lot of $$ to pour down the drain.

Sillygirl
05-04-2009, 09:37 AM
They are safe to pour down the drain, if you must. Are you opposed to serving alcohol at parties? It will keep for a long time. Alternatively, I'll bet an American Legion post or similar fraternal organization will be happy to take them off your hands.

LBW
05-04-2009, 09:39 AM
I had the same problem. We probably had ~20 bottles left over from our wedding in 2001! Last year I decided to get rid of it. I sent out emails to friends and family, but that only got rid of about half a dozen bottles. I dumped the rest down the drain and recycled the bottles. I was so sick of moving and storing it.

TonFirst
05-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Have you tried contacting any local nonprofits? I know this sounds strange - but just about all nonprofits have fundraising parties, and they'd probably be thrilled if they could save some $$ on their liquor bill for those parties. Call the special events or marketing departments for some nonprofits in your area. Or, you could donate it to a silent auction for your school or something else you might be involved in - we donate a case of wine to a local autism charity every year for their silent auction.

Plus, with either scenario, you get the bonus of a tax write-off!

HIU8
05-04-2009, 09:50 AM
We have had this stuff in our house for 6 years untouched. It will never get served. If we serve, it's wine. The stuff we have stored isn't wine. I'm going to try the local non-profit and american legion route and neighbors before I go pouring it all down the drain (it's about 24 bottles).

JTsMom
05-04-2009, 11:09 AM
You'll be the most popular family in town giving all that away!!

mommylamb
05-04-2009, 12:59 PM
This might sound rediculous, but my parents are not drinkers at all. DH and I took several bottles of scotch when we moved to DC 8 years ago. It had been sitting in my parents' liquor cabinet for about 30 years. Still tasted good.

ETA: I did not mean that it is rediculous that my parents don't drink. It's rediculous that we took 30 year old scotch from their wedding!

cleo27
05-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Anyone know about champagne? We have a few bottles from our wedding almost 10(!) years ago. We are getting ready to move and I wonder if it is still good.

Any thoughts? I'm almost scared to open the bottles.

Thanks in advance!

Sillygirl
05-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Most champagne doesn't age well - vintage champagne is pretty expensive, not your usual wedding bottle. It won't hurt you to drink it but it probably won't taste very good, either.

mom2binsd
05-04-2009, 05:22 PM
I think offering it to the neighbors is a great idea, I bet they would be thrilled and maybe sometime your driveway will be shoveled in the winter or some other nice thank you! It would be a shame to dump it and I'm not sure about giving it away to an organization as the liquor laws might get in the way...I know we'd never have this problem but I can understand if you just don't want to store it...if you're near Central IL PM me LOL!