PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like a weird mother's day request?

HIU8
05-04-2009, 09:51 AM
This year I told DH that I don't want jewelry or anything like that. All I want is a day to go shopping for clothing for myself (all day if that is what it takes). Does this sound like a reasonable request for mother's day?

BeachBum
05-04-2009, 09:57 AM
No! That is what I want too :)

boolady
05-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Very reasonable, IMHO. I would love this. DH usually works on Saturdays, but was off this past weekend, so we went to the mall because he needed to replace his beat-up work shoes and needed a new pair of khakis. Somehow, after three hours at the mall, DH had two new pairs of shoes, two new pairs of pants, DD had been on the carousel twice (and to the potty in Nordstroms three times), and, shocker, I never even looked for anything for myself.

KpbS
05-04-2009, 10:14 AM
No sounds good too me. I recently took a Saturday and did the same. I realized I hadn't purchased anything for myself other than clearanced t-shirts in a long time. Have fun and happy hunting.

malphy
05-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Perfectly reasonable. I would kill to just go to the supermarket by myself.

Dh has his heart in the right place but doesn;t really think. He bought me a g/c for spa day once. Not for a spa where I live but one that is closer to where my sister lives-50 miles away. So my sis and i could go together and dh's would watch kids. Yeah.

needless to say that was a huge waste of money.

I would love to have a couple of hours to myself. alone. to do anything. did I mention I would liketo be alone!

Happy mothers day everyone!

:grouphug:

SnuggleBuggles
05-04-2009, 10:22 AM
A darned fine idea in my book.

My dream Mother's Day used to be a clean house all to my self for the whole day.

Beth

hellokitty
05-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Sounds good to me! What did your DH say? I was upset, b/c last yr, I just wanted a day to myself, not even to go shopping. I just wanted my DH to take the boys on a day trip, and leave me alone at home. My DH got kind of upset and said it was, "sad" that I did not want to spend mother's day with the family. I got really annoyed. I don't even remember what actually happened, we probably ended up seeing my mil or mom, b/c I feel like when it comes to mother's day, I am the lowest woman on the totem pole...

Moneypenny
05-04-2009, 10:57 AM
I think some people think you should want to really be "motherly" on mother's day and spend all day with the kiddos, but there really is nothing I want more than just a day to myself.

WatchingThemGrow
05-04-2009, 10:59 AM
A darned fine idea in my book.

My dream Mother's Day used to be a clean house all to my self for the whole day.

Beth

Wait...what did it change to???

SnuggleBuggles
05-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Wait...what did it change to???

3 possibilities...
1. Going to a hotel by myself overnight so there is no chance of getting side tracked cleaning plus I get that full night of sleep.
2. Chill with the kiddos because now that ds1 is older he kind of expects me to spend time with him that day. Hard to tell him that what I want most is a day to myself on Mother's Day.
3. Not just a day but a whole week. ;)

Beth

stefani
05-04-2009, 11:09 AM
O, I am so glad that I am not the only one....

MIL always wants for us to get together, but this time I really just want a quiet day by myself to pack for an overseas trip... I already feel that I never get enough quiet time to think by myself and this is a stressful trip in a way. I am going by myself, leaving DS at home with DH, because my Dad is having some medical issues, so I am taking my parents to see doctors. There may be surgery involved, and I am a WOHM, so my time there is limited on many fronts. OK, enough whining for me, but maybe we should lobby that on Mother's Day it is OK for (some) mothers to have the day alone?

To the OP, I think it is a perfectly reasonable request for Mother's Day!

Melaine
05-04-2009, 11:10 AM
I think it sounds like a very REALISTIC real-mommy request.

wellyes
05-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I just wanted my DH to take the boys on a day trip, and leave me alone at home. My DH got kind of upset and said it was, "sad" that I did not want to spend mother's day with the family.

You should have said fine - so long as he takes the boys off on day trips the weekends before AND after mother's day! That way he gets the mother's day he wants and you get TWO weekends off! LOL.

Twins2000
05-04-2009, 12:31 PM
That's what I want too! We can all be together for breakfast to celebrate, but after that, please, give me some freedom for a few hours!

ahrimie
05-04-2009, 01:31 PM
This sounds perfect to me!!!

maestramommy
05-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Actually that sounds like a very common request these days. A day off to do whatever! :jammin:

g-mama
05-04-2009, 02:46 PM
I've had a couple of Mothers Day exactly like that. Pure heaven. Thanks for reminding me to put that bug in dh's ear. :)

KrisM
05-04-2009, 03:51 PM
I want that too, but not ON Mother's Day. I'd rather spend Mother's Day with the family, as DS1 is so looking forward to making breakfast in bed, and doing things to help me, and grilling out with Dad for dinner. (these are his words). But, I'd take it as a gift for the following week :).

DrSally
05-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Yes!..........

MontrealMum
05-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Last year I could have killed for that - truly! In fact, I don't actually remember how we spent Mother's Day because my birthday follows soon after and that was turned into a kiddie pizza party by MIL for visiting (and rude!) relatives. (sorry, little tangent there)

This year I've been lucky that I've had much more adult time and "me" time because I do go out for work/school and DS is in daycare, so, I am not feeling it quite so necessary to be alone. But I think you are entirely justified in wanting that - and it's not weird at all!!! MANY moms I know would be overjoyed at being given a day to do that.

salsah
05-05-2009, 01:46 AM
i'm so glad that i'm not the only one who does not want to spend the day with family. unfortunately i have to spend mother's day with my mom -- not fun either. i would rather spend the day with my kids.

i think a day to yourself is the perfect the mother's day gift.