PDA

View Full Version : Another Bike Question

Twins2000
05-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Now that my twins are almost 9, and my little one is almost 4, I'd like to get a bike for myself so that we all can go riding together, or when they're all in school, I can give my knee a rest and go bicycling instead of jogging. I've been to a couple of local bike shops and am now considering the Gary Fisher Tiburon and Specialized Ariel. Does anyone here have any exerience with either bike company, or heard anything good or bad between the two? Or, any other recommendations? I'm only 4' 11'' so I guess I should stick to a women's bike. I also looked at the Trek 7100, but I just don't like the way it looks with the loopy bar (women's.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Leslie

o_mom
05-04-2009, 02:10 PM
I have had my Specialized for 10+ years and no problems with it. I think it still has all the original parts except the seat and handgrips. I got a gel seat right off the bat and replaced the handgrips about 6-7 years into it. I have heard good things about Gary Fisher as well, so I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

MontrealMum
05-04-2009, 02:14 PM
No experience with Gary Fisher but I think they get good reviews, same w/Trek. Sorry, DH is the gearhead around here. DH's mountain bike is a Specialized and he's very happy with it - it's a very popular brand so I would not hesitate to recommend them. I am assuming both of those are hybrids? Giant does some hybrids too if that's what you're looking at. I had a Giant hybrid many years ago for tooling around on campus and was happy with it. I have a Cannondale MB and have never needed to deal w/warranties or repairs (granted, DH can fix it himself if something breaks).

One thing I would really stress, though, is that at 4'11" you should definitely consider going for a woman's bike. Have you actually sat on those that you mentioned in the store and are they really able to adjust them to you? (Sorry, I just don't know how small men's bikes go - mine is a men's and I think it's med., but I am tall) I mean, there's a safety concern but there's also a comfort factor - your back will thank you if you go with a smaller frame.

There is also a whole 'nother world of custom bikes out there - but it's super-spendy, and usually for non-recreational cyclists.

ETA: Raleigh is a good brand too, but I am not currently familiar w/what they have.

Twins2000
05-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Both bikes that I'm considering are women's bikes, but they each have the straighter bar going across versus the loopier one. The smallest Gary Fisher Tiburon is 15", which was still a tiny bit too high for me. If I ended up going with that one, they would switch out the suspension post with a straight post which would lower the seat more than enough for me (I don't think I'd really need the suspension anyway, or would I?). The Specialized Ariel comes small enough as is (I can't remember if the post was straight or had suspension).

I need to go back to each store to try each bike again, since I had my almost 4 yo with me and was not wearing sneakers for one place, and it was raining outside so I wasn't able to ride the bike at another place.

Thank you both for your input!

Leslie

MontrealMum
05-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Seat suspension is nice, but certainly not necessary. I don't have it in my bike (I have it only on the front) and I can clock up to 150 k a week. Now, a good women's saddle and padded shorts - those are much more important! Sounds like you have some good options, then. GL!