PDA

View Full Version : trying to figure out how much EBM baby needs

hellokitty1
05-04-2009, 12:55 PM
It seems like DS is always hungry sooner than usual when he has a bottle of EBM and i'm wondering if I am not giving him enough. I am thinking that the next time he needs a bottle, I'll prepare multiple bottles - one with an amount i know he can eat and the additional ones with 1 or 2 ounces each (so there is as little waste as possible). Should we keep giving bottles until he rejects them or shows obvious signs he is done?

Is this the right approach? For now, he seems to get enough to be satisfied when it's all done but then he can't go the 3 or so hours he can when he nurses.

appreciate your thoughts

LMPC
05-04-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure if that was the "right" thing to do, but what you are describing is exactly what we did when DD was small (all of 4 months ago LOL!). For example, I would make a 3 oz bottle and then 2 bottles with 1 or 2 oz each in them. We just fed her until she rejected the bottle...or fell asleep. It seemed to work alright. GL to you!!

purple
05-04-2009, 10:09 PM
I've been having the same issue, and have been trying to figure out what to do myself. DC seems to get hungry much faster with the bottle, but doesn't want to take more at the feedings. I have been making the bottles bigger, but then that just leads to waste. I have been thinking that I need to keep the last 1-2 ounces in a second bottle too.

But my question is, will DC get used to eating more at one time eventually? Or will we just need to always do feedings more often with the bottle?