PDA

View Full Version : how does the peg perego si comare to mac techno xt?

chozen
05-04-2009, 02:21 PM
sounds good is it made as well as mac xt?
fold up as small?
one hand steering?
is the sun shade bigger?
full recline?
we are tall does anyone know the height of handles?
also does it handle as nice as mac xt?
questions,questions,questions, thank u:D

Sugar Magnolia
05-04-2009, 02:33 PM
I am curious as well. MIL wants to buy us the Techno (she fell in love with it at BRU) but I would love to hear about the SI!

How would it be for a summer newborn?

chozen
05-04-2009, 02:54 PM
i wondered does it tip when you put small weight on handles 2 or 3 pds.
also can you steer it one handed?
is the seat height as tall or nearly as tall as mac? ok for taller children?
is hood as big as mac xt?
recline compare to quest?
does it sit up very straight?
is it made as well as mac xt?
how does it compare to peg aria?
questions questions thank u:)

codex57
05-11-2009, 03:40 PM
That canopy looks a ton bigger than the XT. The fold is a ton better too. For those two reasons alone, I'd totally get it over a Mac XT.

I'm just not a huge fan of the Mac XT/Techno. At that weight range, too many strollers kick its tookus.

chozen
05-11-2009, 05:19 PM
what do you think? large enough for taller bigger children? is the folding handle etc. strong? will it hold up?

codex57
05-11-2009, 05:45 PM
I've only seen it online. I've played with Macs a lot though. SIL has a Techno. If the SI is on par with the P3 quality wise, I wouldn't be too worried.

Have you found stats on how tall the seat is for the SI? If teh stats are there, that should make it easy to compare it with the XT on how it handles tall kids.

eah125
06-04-2009, 03:19 PM
think maybe you should seriously consider s/thing other than the techno. i have it & am fine w/it, not going to get rid of it, but i think there are better choices out there now (have had it for a little over a yr.). It is tippy & the canopy is not that good. I like what i am reading about the Si & think if i was in the market for a stroller now i'd be looking at that.

chozen
06-04-2009, 04:19 PM
you have about the xt? the canopy & tippiness?

eah125
06-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Just to preface, I do have a BOB stroller as well. I pretty much use the techno as my car stroller so i am not outside long, taking long walks w/ this etc.. I love my BOB
It hasn't tipped on me w/ my DS in it (although if you check posts some pple say it happened), but if your heavy diaper bag is hanging on the back w/ noone in it, it will def. tip back. Trick is maybe to put some items in the basket, can stabalize a little. Which reminds me- the basket isn't overly easy to access.
The canopy is not great, but there are strollers that have worse. I plan on buying a sunshade to attach for this summer (didn't get around to buying one last summer). most are bet. $15-$20.
Just to say again- i don't hate this stroller I just think for the price there may be some better options. It is pretty well made, i think they last very long. I don't think too many pple complain about the quality of Macs.
So i guess those 2 would be s/what my only complaints

mimi2008
06-06-2009, 12:31 AM
i;ve had the Si for about 3 weeks now. It isn't tippy at all. I've left a heavy diaper bag hanging on it and it doesn't fall backwards when the seat is empty. it's very easy to push. The canopy is large and it can tilt forward (lots of talk lately about tilting canopy's on mac techno depending on the year-- well, the Si does it too) if you unbutton it from the seat back. My only complaint with it is the recline mechanism-- two levers on the side like some of the mac's. other than that, I'm completely happy with it. My 8mo old falls alseep in it when we're out doing errands. The strollerqueen's blog has the specific measurements of the stroller for those of you wondering if it will fit a tall child.

I thought about the techno too but I was worried about it tipping.

1Tracey
06-06-2009, 01:29 AM
I played around with both the Techno and the Si in person. I really like the Si but I need a stroller that I can take on the bus. Techno's too heavy. I tried over and over and over and over...again to open and close the Si with one hand while carrying my ~1 yr old and it was just too difficult and so it was a deal breaker for me. If that doesn't matter to you, I think the Si is better than the Techno. I find the folding mechanism of the Peg Perego umbrella fold too difficult compared to the Macs but if you're fine with it, than it's probably not a problem. I also think the the Peg Perego quality isn't as good as the Macs. The main things that come to my mind as what's good about the Si is that it's lighter, has a more accessible basket (although doesn't hold a lot of weight), has a full coverage hood, looks much nicer compare to the Techno.

Hope this helps.

mimi2008
06-08-2009, 01:00 PM
just FYI. There's a new video stroller review on the peg perego Si at babygizmo.com. You can also just google video search for it. The review says it's great for taller kids.

chozen
06-08-2009, 05:25 PM
:D:D i will have to decide soon.

kijip
06-09-2009, 02:44 AM
I will chime in here in defense of the Techno. We loved this as a stroller for our older son from the time he was 2 years until he stopped riding once he was close to 4. Now we have a newer version for our infant son and it is also great. I personally never had an issue folding it and getting on the bus with a tot on my hip, something I did a fair bit. It is also great for tall parents. I love it as a general all-purpose stroller and after having settled on it after owning and trying a half zillion others, I think it holds up well in it's niche.

chozen
06-09-2009, 11:18 AM
i really think i want the xt but im still wondering if it will be to big & heavy for a second stroller? the reason why i think i want it over the quest is because of the larger tires , i think it might be a smoother ride. does it really weight 18 pounds?

sste
06-10-2009, 10:59 PM
I love our techno. The thing to understand at the techno is that it is not "perfect" for any one task but it is one of the top choices for an all-around stroller for a variety of activities (except off-roading).

The techno is our go to stroller for most activities, crowded urban settings and museums, going out, and travel. We have gotten onto buses, trains, planes, cabs etc with it. We travel frequently and the techno is perfect - - although it is a little heavier than the quest it is so versatile. We have been able to get over cobblestones, uneven sidewalks, in a pinch we even made it down a firmly packed dirt path. I think it is partially a lifestyle issue. If you tend to be pretty scheduled in your plans then you may prefer a combo of a triumph/quest coupled with an air tire stroller - - you would know in advance which one to take for which activity. We do a lot of traveling and at home we tend to be spur of the moment in our plans - - the techno accomodates this wonderfully.

1Tracey
06-18-2009, 02:04 AM
So, I decided on the Peg Perego Si and was very excited when I got it. But after trying it out, I'm going to have to return it. When I walked fast, the front wheels would wobble. It was very irritating. I know there'll be times when I'm going to be walking fast with the stroller and so this was a deal breaker. I'm wondering if I got one that was defective or if they're built that way.

Does anyone out there have a Si that has front wheels that wobble when you walk fast???

I'm now thinking about the Zooper Twist 2009/2010 model or the Maclaren Techno XT. I need a stroller with a full/large canopy.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks!

strollerqueen
06-18-2009, 02:08 AM
Ugh, sounds like you got a lemon. Mine didn't do that. The Aria also has a large hood, but the wheels are too small to do well outdoors.

1Tracey
06-18-2009, 02:23 AM
Hi Strollerqueen

I read your review on it and thought it was great. So, your's didn't do that? I wonder if I should exchange it for another one. *sigh* Just don't know. I'd have to order it online again.

Oh, question for you and anyone else who can answer this: The folding lever attached to the cabling system has two parts to it and no numbers to show the steps in folding the stroller. I remember seeing one at a store that had one with the numbers and with a one-piece lever and numbers and then the store later had a version with a two piece lever and no number which is the same as the one I got. Is the one with the two piece lever and no numbers and older version of the Si???

Thanks!

Ugh, sounds like you got a lemon. Mine didn't do that. The Aria also has a large hood, but the wheels are too small to do well outdoors.

dukie41181
06-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Looks like there's been a lot of discussion about needing a large hood. I just bought a 2008 Techno XT and it has a gigantic hood! The hood even unzips in the back to make it tilt forward (like on the baby joggers) for extra coverage. We love our Techno XT so far and have zero complaints. We use it as our second stroller and the weight is not an issue for us...although weight on a stroller has never been a factor. I look at it as a mini weight lifting exercise when I get stuff in an out of vehicles...its good for you!

mimi2008
06-18-2009, 05:00 PM
my Si doesn't wobble. it has the numbers 1 and 2 on the folding lever and handle. hmmm.... maybe you got a lemon.

strollerqueen
06-19-2009, 01:00 AM
They are all supposed to have numbers. I wonder if you got a prototype or unfinished model or something? You should really call Peg and discuss it. If the rep you talk to doesn't help you, then call back. I have had to try a few times on occasion to get someone to answer my questions. It's kind of hit or miss, but there are some really nice ones.

1Tracey
07-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Well, I'm still working on getting the problem with my Si worked out. This is taking over a month with them sending me parts and trying to fix the problem. This is very frustrating! If the Si works perfectly and doesn't have wobbly front wheels an a wobbly rear wheel, I'd be fine with it. Also, I was told by the Peg reps that the Si that are being sold all don't have the numbered steps to fold it. What I don't like about the ones currently being sold is that the lever to fold the stroller has two parts to it instead of being one piece. It doesn't make sense when you need to pull both pieces of the lever. It's more difficult when you have a baby in one hand and have to struggle to fold the stroller. I hear all the good reviews about the Si so I'm trying to rectify this problem but I shouldn't have to go through all this trouble.

Anyone know whether there's a model of the Si out there where the lever is just one piece?

Thanks!

mimi2008
07-10-2009, 06:49 PM
I have a si. To fold it, I pull on the lever labeled 1, on the side of the stroller. Then I pull up on the handle labeled 2, which is in the middle, near the basket. Both of those, 1 and 2, are a single piece each, and I don't pull on them at the same time, it's 1 first, then 2. Are your levers in 2 pieces? I don't get it.

1Tracey
07-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Yes, I was told by the Peg reps that the newer versions of the Si don't have the numbers and the first lever that you pull is now in two pieces. It's ridiculous to have that lever in two pieces, I know. It's like Peg sent their second rate versions of the Si to the US from Italy or something. I don't know why they would make their latest version worst than their first.

Yosa
07-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Our Si has the two piece lever on the side as step one. I'm betting it's for ease of repair reasons. Because one lever releases the right side and one does the left. We just pull on both at the same time to release it all.
We love the fold.

In terms of wobbly, the wheels aren't going to run as "flat" since they are single skinny wheels rather than double wheels. That being said, I haven't had any problem wheeling the stroller over mulch, ricketty sidewalks etc. There is some flex in the stroller frame, but maybe that's the shocks?

mimi2008
07-11-2009, 12:15 AM
I see, that is different. If it is for ease of repairs, I sure hope mine won't need any because I have the single lever. I'm sorry you're having such trouble with your stroller. I feel for you. :(

Yosa
07-17-2009, 11:26 PM
After taking the Peg Perego Si on our epic car trip (still on it), it has strolled many places including 6 miles in Zion and 3-4 miles at the Grand Canyon over some iffy sidewalks, sand, grass we love it more than ever. It did a lot of in and out of the car as well (a Honda CRV).

Zion and the Grand Canyon were hot and sunny so the canopy was stellar. Very appreciated. The recline was great too so that our 9 mo old son could sleep comfortably. Also I found the seat pretty upright and the recline easy to activate.

I did notice that when my husband walked at max speed or if I ran then the front wheels would chatter. It may just be the design. To defeat that we just locked the front wheels and it was all better. At my fast walk speed the wheels don't chatter.

The fold is great great great. We did a lot of in and out of buses at the park and the stroller fold is so easy! it's not that hard to pull both of the levers at the same time. I love that it stands up - we can go into restaurants and just stand the stroller up.

The harness is great too. Easy, not easy to get twisted. My only concern would be that if you had a small baby that it doesn't go low enough to strap in the shoulders great.