PDA

View Full Version : Is a memory foam crib mattress pad safe?

amldaley
05-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Dd hs not been sleeping well for a couple of months now. We can get her in the crib, but she wakes anywhere from 2 to 6 times a night, and sometimes more. Once we break down and let her sleep in the big bed in her room, she sleeps better (even if we are not next to her).

The only thing we can discern is that we have a memory foam pad on the big bed in her room and she sleeps better on that. She is exclusively a back sleeper and she seems restless in her crib and comfy in the bed.

Is it safe to use a memory foam pad on her crib mattress? I can't afford to buy a foam mattress at this point. I found a 1" crib size pad and cover on Ebay (new) for $32. Is 1" thick enough? (The one on the big bed is 2 or more " thick).

Any thoughts or ideas?

cestkaren
05-04-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm wondering the same thing, as we have a similiar problem.

vejemom
05-05-2009, 09:46 PM
An actual foam crib mattress is pretty firm, so don't feel bad about it not being in the budget. We have Colgate foam mattresses for both girls and they are nothing like a memory foam mattress pad. I didn't know they actually made memory foam pads in crib sizes. I thought it would be considered a suffocation hazard, but if she's sleeping fine on the one one the big bed, I guess you're good to go!

DH is convinced that some of DD#!'s sleep issues are due to her mattress being too firm. He doesn't quite believe me that crib mattresses only come in firm and firmer. I've told him that the only solution is to move her up into a twin or full to get a softer mattress.