PDA

View Full Version : Baking question??

kusumat
05-04-2009, 03:30 PM
I have baked a few times and they didn't turn out the way I expected. Do I need to cover the bake pan with aluminum foil every time or only when the recipe said I should.

Also, can I coat the pan with oil instead of using the cooking spray? And do I need the cooking thermometer to check whether the meat is cook? I normally cook on the stove and are very new with the oven one. Preheat means turning on the oven 20 mins before, right? Also, how do I now with rack I should put the pan on? Meal top? Dessert bottom? TIA!

JTsMom
05-04-2009, 03:52 PM
I have baked a few times and they didn't turn out the way I expected. Do I need to cover the bake pan with aluminum foil every time or only when the recipe said I should.

It just depends. Usually no. If something is getting too brown on the surface, but not cooked enough inside, then foil can be helpful. It acts like a lid on a skillet would.

Also, can I coat the pan with oil instead of using the cooking spray?

Oil is fine. Different oils burn at different temps though, so be aware of that. Something like canola would work well.

And do I need the cooking thermometer to check whether the meat is cook?

I prefer to use a thermometer b/c sometimes the look of the meat can be deceptive. A lot of people don't use them though.

I normally cook on the stove and are very new with the oven one. Preheat means turning on the oven 20 mins before, right?

Pretty much. :) It just means that you should heat the oven to the proper temperature before putting the food in. It shouldn't typically take 20 minutes.

Also, how do I now with rack I should put the pan on? Meal top? Dessert bottom?

Usually aim for the middle of the oven, unless the recipe specifies something different. You can remove one rack if you need to.

egoldber
05-04-2009, 03:53 PM
What are you making?

kusumat
05-04-2009, 04:16 PM
What are you making?

Thanks for all the tips! I think I will cook this dish tonight.

Roasted Balsamic Chicken With Horseradish Froth, Acorn Squash With Pumpkin Seeds, Brown Rice

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robin-miller/roasted-balsamic-chicken-with-horseradish-froth-acorn-squash-with-pumpkin-seeds-brown-rice-recipe/index.html