PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay for this 1997 Rainbow playset?

justlearning
05-04-2009, 04:08 PM
It has monkey bars, slide, ladder, two regular swings, disc swing (on the end, cut out of this pic), rope ladder, and sandbox cover. It does not have a rock wall--would my kids miss that?

The original owner is selling it and says that it's in great condition except that the wood is worn and could use staining/treating.

This same set sells for around $4000 at our local dealer, so what would you pay for it considering that it's 12 years old?

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt92/melmanke/Rainbowplayset.jpg

brittone2
05-04-2009, 04:51 PM
A few hundred? My brother had one about that age at his home (he didn't have any kids, it was there when he moved in) and he wanted to give it to us. He was in tough financial straights at the time, and we would have had to rend a truck and drive 12+ hours or more round trip to pick it up, so I suggested he just sell it (I knew he could use the money).

His was a larger set. It was huge. 2 slides, picnic table under the fort, tunnel connecting two portions of the set, etc. It had to have been extremely expensive when bought because it is one of the largest home sets I've seen. I think he sold it for about $1K on CL, which I think was pretty fair.

THe set you have is quite a bit smaller. I'd pay maybe $500 (maybe a little more?). 4K even new seems steep for that set? (JMO). The Sunray (lower end model of Rainbow I think?) ones sold at Costco are probably not as nice of quality, but nice enough, and not much smaller, and they run a little over $1K each year (1200-1300 I think?).

Hopefully those who actually own a Rainbow can pop in w/ what they think is fair.

Momof3Labs
05-04-2009, 09:29 PM
We looked at Rainbow sets recently, and that doesn't look like the $4000 sets that we saw. Given that and its age, I wouldn't pay more than about $300 for it (maybe $400 if they help disassemble and transport it).

etaylor75
05-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Here's a similar one for $475:

http://denver.craigslist.org/bab/1154542151.html

Erin

justlearning
05-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks for your responses. That craigslist ad you listed was already deleted so it must have sold fast! Interestingly, the one I was looking at was also from denver craigslist (http://denver.craigslist.org/bab/1151461387.html). They're asking $350 for the set.

We had already purchased another fort with slide (that DH spent hours disassembling) but it didn't have the swing arm and all the bells and whistles of this Rainbow set. So, we went up to look at this Rainbow set tonight and decided that its age was showing in many ways and DS didn't like how close the monkey bars were to the slide and to the hanging trapeze bar, etc. So, we ended up not getting it, making DH very happy that he doesn't need to disassemble another one and that he can now get started on putting up the one we had already bought.

BTW, the owner did already have other people lined up to come see it so it sounds like she probably will sell it quickly at $350. I thought it was a really great deal so that's why I was curious to see what you all thought. Hearing your responses made walking away from the deal easier. :)