PDA

View Full Version : Would you send your DC to school with

HIU8
05-04-2009, 08:35 PM
a runny nose? DS has been sick for about a week. He had a nose full of yellow gunk and a fever (and a possible strep throat). He is currently on day 4 of meds (which are probably getting switched tomorrow due to a reaction tonight-head to toe rash--long story but DS is allergic to penicillin and now obviously other cephalosporin drugs). DS has not have a fever since 1 pm on Sunday. I'm thinking that I would send him to preschool (he so has cabin fever) b/c really all that's left is the runny nose. I'm torn though. I sort of feel like the teachers etc will be upset b/c DS is at school with a cold (note the anxiety about H1N1). But, I need to work tomorrow. Plus, DD will go to daycare for the first time in a week tomorrow (she is not showing any signs of a cold or anything and I assumed she would by this point). What would you do?

maestramommy
05-04-2009, 08:47 PM
If his nose is still full of yellow gunk and he can't blow his nose (even with help) I wouldn't send him. I've sent Dora to school with a runny nose but it was clear and she knows to ask to blow her nose.

HIU8
05-04-2009, 08:49 PM
It's still a little yellow. Here's hoping it's clear by tomorrow or wednesday....

WatchingThemGrow
05-04-2009, 08:53 PM
and a rash - no, I wouldn't - as a teacher I'd likely send him back to the nurse with a rash...other parents would be upset if they saw it, even if it was a reaction to meds

Momof3Labs
05-04-2009, 09:19 PM
I'd wait until he has antibiotics in him for at least 24-36 hours - antibiotics that are working with his system. It doesn't sound like he is ready to go back to school; if you need to work, perhaps your DH can stay home with him tomorrow.

SnuggleBuggles
05-04-2009, 09:24 PM
I'll be the dissenter. I would send him. The color of the nasal discharge doesn't really mean anything so the fact that it isn't clear wouldn't be a concern to me. He has been on meds. I think he is clear to go in.

Beth

writermama
05-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Under normal circumstances yes to maybe depending on the color of the runny nose and your nervousness about the meds reaction, but right now with the swine flu in the news, I'd keep him home, if only to not make other people nervous and have your child pick up on other people being nervous around him, IYKWIM?

nrp
05-04-2009, 09:33 PM
I'll be the dissenter. I would send him. The color of the nasal discharge doesn't really mean anything so the fact that it isn't clear wouldn't be a concern to me. He has been on meds. I think he is clear to go in.

Beth

Ditto this. My brother-in-law is a ped and always gets riled about the policies at schools and daycares banning those with green/yellow gunk but allowing those with a clear runny nose. Generally, he said, the green/yellow stuff is just snot that has lingered around for awhile (sorry for the TMI) and doesn't make a difference as far as whether the kids is more or less contagious. If it was confirmed by your doc to be bacterial (I'm assuming it was, given that he is on antibiotics), and he has been on the meds and feels fine otherwise, I'd send him. Depending on the level of swine flu hysteria at your school, I'd be prepared to get a phone call, though.

wellyes
05-04-2009, 09:40 PM
My ped's guidelines are: runny nose OK, fever not OK. The runny nose would not stop me but the fever is the show-stopper.

Sorry, sounds like you are having a lousy week!!

Corie
05-04-2009, 10:14 PM
It sounds like he has been fever-free for 24 hours. This is our school policy.

sunriseiz
05-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Ditto this. My brother-in-law is a ped and always gets riled about the policies at schools and daycares banning those with green/yellow gunk but allowing those with a clear runny nose. Generally, he said, the green/yellow stuff is just snot that has lingered around for awhile (sorry for the TMI) and doesn't make a difference as far as whether the kids is more or less contagious. If it was confirmed by your doc to be bacterial (I'm assuming it was, given that he is on antibiotics), and he has been on the meds and feels fine otherwise, I'd send him. Depending on the level of swine flu hysteria at your school, I'd be prepared to get a phone call, though.

Ditto the ditto! DD had something similar a few weeks ago. We asked the teacher and she was very rational and replied that if kids stayed home with just a runny nose, lots would never be in school, LOL. As long as the fever's gone for 24 hr and 24 hrs of abx if needed, I would go for it. Our ped even offered to send a note saying it was ok after the 24 hrs. If you could get a dr note, maybe it would help.

Best wishes!

TwinFoxes
05-04-2009, 10:57 PM
I don't have any experience with preschool, but will they let him go with a "head to toe" rash? I would think that would be more problematic to them than a runny nose.

MontrealMum
05-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Granted, mine is not in school and is much younger, but he is in daycare. They have very well delineated policies on all types of sickness. What would motivate me to maybe keep DC home (barring incubation period for strep and DC's general feeling of readiness for school - I'm not into infecting the whole daycare!) would be what the policies are. Because if you send a sick kid to our daycare w/ a high-ish fever (they call at 39.5C) and an unidentified rash you're going to get a call to pick them up anyways. Rashes are OK, but it has to be documented as to what it is before the daycare will receive that child back for care. And we've had LOTs of rashes this year :(

If we did get a midday call like that, for me, that would usually mean scrambling for who would pick them up, and who would be able to take care of them for the rest of the day. I'd rather start the day knowing who could take off from work, or if we could beg help from the ILs (our go-to helpers). We've had tons of illnesses this year, and our share of calls as well, so I feel for you - but really for me I'd prefer to keep DS home if there's a chance that you're going to get "the call".

Now, if your DC feels "well" enough to go (we sometimes keep DS home so he can sleep, but again, he's a lot younger and I don't work ft), they've been on meds long enough for the strep (allergic reaction or no, because the allergy doesn't mean the meds aren't working, just that the child is allergic to them), and the reaction is documented by a MD, and the temp. is under control - I'd say send them. But if that rash hasn't been seen...I'd keep them home...because here we'd be getting a call about that anyways around the 1st diaper change.

bubbaray
05-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Hmmm, tough call. My daycare has a no colored gunk nose discharge policy, though frankly I think they are OK with light yellow -- not OK with green. No fever for 24 hrs, on meds for a full 24 hours.

I'd probably send him and hope for the best. Make sure he blows his nose a LOT before you go and one last time in the parking lot!

Sounds like he is on the mend. GL!

ETA: yeah, rashes are OK if you have a dr's note and it is known what they are. My girls ALWAYS have rashes, but it is allergies and I don't worry too much about rashes.

HIU8
05-05-2009, 10:29 AM
sent DS to school. His nose isn't running. He has not had a fever since noon on Sunday. The rash turned out to be nothing (possibly viral). The nasal culture takes a week or more to come back anyway and DS has been on meds since friday. He was as ready to get back to school as I was to have him get back to school. DD was also excited to go back to daycare. I'm so alone right now.......

egoldber
05-05-2009, 10:34 AM
I would have sent him. Our school's rule is fever free for 24 hours and abx for at least 24.