PDA

View Full Version : newbie pumping to create a stash - how often, when, etc...

lmh2402
05-04-2009, 09:35 PM
hi, ladies

hoping you can help me figure this whole pumping thing out

1. how many times a day should i pump in order to build stash for going back to work part time

(i know when i'm working, i would pump for each feeding that i am missing, but i mean for now...while i'm home...how many times a day)

2. what times of day should i pump?
2a. if pumping after feeding, how long do I wait? AND...how do I avoid waiting too long so I don't end up "stealing" milk from the feed-to-come?

HAVING A VERY DIFFICULT TIME WITH THIS B/C HE IS SO FUSSY AFTER HE EATS THAT I CAN'T PUT HIM DOWN...SO...I TRIED HOLDING HIM AND PUMPING THIS MORNING AND THAT WAS VERY NOT SUCCESSFUL. AND QUITE PAINFUL (small feet vigorously kicking pump thing stuck to boob :sad: ) AND STRESSFUL, ACTUALLY.

3. for how long should i pump each time?
3a. should i pump both breasts each time? should i pump them at the same time? what if i can only do one at a time, is that ok?

4. how much should i typically get from each session?
4a. in the last few days that i've been trying, i'm pumping for about 8 min after the first morning feeding and i'm only getting about 1.5 ounces total (combined from both breasts)...this is so little! makes me very anxious...

5. what quantities should i store in?
5a. how do i know when to increase the quantity in the bottle? other than having to experience baby finishing all in bottle and still not being satisfied... and then having to scramble to either feed extra or defrost extra...

5b. we've been giving him 3 oz in the bottle and he finishes it all...does this mean he is satisfied? should we give more? are we actually giving too much and overfeeding him?

6. if DH feeds a nighttime bottle to give me a bit of a break...do i still get up and pump during that time? so as to maintain supply? this seems like it might defeat the purpose of the "break"??...

so at this point, DS is getting one bottle a night (only for the last few nights) ...and he is seemingly content with the quantity of 3 oz...which is good b/c at this point...i'm pumping once in the middle of the night (in place of feeding) and then 1-2 times in the morning after a feeding...and getting just enough to cover that night's bottle...and maybe make one additional bottle...or sometimes only half of an additional bottle... so i am mystified as to how i'm going to build a stash for future use...and/or how i'm going to be able to even give that one bottle a night once he wants more than 3 oz...

thanks for your feedback

daisyd
05-05-2009, 10:25 AM
BF can be stressful and the thought of going to work soon just adds to it. I 've stayed at home with my 7 month old DC so while I have no first hand info, there is a wealth of info on this forum if you do a quick search. I hope others who have BTDT will chime in too.Hang in there. it does get better.Hugs.

hez
05-05-2009, 11:58 AM
I really liked Nursing Mother, Working Mother (http://www.amazon.com/Nursing-Mother-Working-Revised/dp/1558323317/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241538833&sr=8-1) when I was getting ready to go back to work the first time.

1. I pumped once in the morning before the first morning feeding to build my stash. It was most convenient if I got up before DS/DD.

2. You won't be 'stealing' milk if you pump first-- your body continues to make milk as you nurse. Adding a session in the morning when you're most full can be the fastest way to build a stash.

3. I always pumped both sides. Even pumping one side will help you. The length of time is very individual. Some moms can get away with 7-10 minutes, some moms need more like 20. You'll have to experiment.

4. Depends on the time of day and how close you were to a feeding. Some moms respond better to a pump than others. At my peak (after working at it for awhile!) I could get 5ish ounces from each side before the first feeding. However, I started off with more like 2 from each side.

5. I stored in 2-4 ounce increments. You can easily add them together.

5b. Try 3.5 or 4 ounces and see. It's going to take some experimentation. This is why I froze in smaller increments, to avoid tossing too much if it didn't get consumed.

6. I don't know. I always pumped somewhere around the time when DS or DD got a bottle when I was trying to maintain my supply. The break comes in when someone else changes a diaper, burps a child, puts the child back to sleep...

Definitely do an Advanced Search for words like 'work', 'stash' and 'pumping'. I bet a lot of old posts will come up.

Good luck!!!

justincase
05-05-2009, 12:17 PM
You will find lots of good information and support on this board. Remember to be easy on yourself as one thing that can hurt supply is stress -- I know, it is impossible to avoid it completely, but having BTDT I can say that just trying to relax and not worry helped me immensely. There are others here much more "expert" than I, but I can share my experiences:

1/2. You will definitely get the most milk if you pump in the morning. I sometimes did before the first feeding and sometimes after, depending on what the previous night had been like and whether I could deal with getting up before DS to pump first!

3. ITA with PP. If you can double pump, you will get more. But if you can only single pump, that is still better than nothing. A hands-free pumping band is a must for double pumping, IMO. (You can buy one, or I made my own by snipping two small holes in the front of an old sports bra.) I usually pumped for about 15-20 minutes to get my maximum output, but everyone is different.

4. Again, everyone is different. I have a lot of milk and can get up to 15+ ounces in a session when I am in a good groove. But in the beginning I was only getting 2-3 ounces. Don't give up; it will get better. There is an art to pumping and you'll improve with practice.

5. I would store some 1 oz, 2 oz, 3 oz, 4 oz. That way if DC finishes and seems to want more, you can give another single ounce. Sometimes a BF baby will suck and suck on a bottle and take more than they really wanted, so if you're concerned in that direction you can pull the bottle away once in a while and see if he still roots or protests.

6. I personally don't get up and pump anymore when DH gives a bottle. But as I mentioned, supply has never been an issue for me. You might not be able to be so casual about it. IMO you would still be getting a break if all you were doing was staggering half-asleep to the pump while he did diaper(s), warm bottle, give bottle, swaddle, soothe, etc. as PP said -- you'd probably be back to bed first! :)

GL and don't give up!

jerseygirl07067
05-09-2009, 04:59 PM
I built up a good stash pumping in the morning after the first feeding. Then, you can keep that going when you return to work and continue to increase your stash. My supply is always best in the morning and dwindles later in the day. Yours may be different, but you can train your body to make more in the am.

Have you tried using a swing, bouncy seat or swaddle while pumping? When you're stressed and not relaxed, your output will be less, since it's harder to get let downs.

Don't worry about only having 1.5 oz. Keep doing it, and your body will start producing more. Also, try eating oatmeal for breakfast, it will increase your supply too, and make sure to drink lots of water. Make sure to double pump also.

I'd store in 2, 3 and 4 oz increments, so you can do any combo that way. I like the Lansinoh bags. Store them flat in the freezer, then label them. Once frozen, you can stand them upright and make a "card catalog" of expressed breast milk by putting them upright in a tupperware container. I learned that trick here and it was one of the best tips I learned on BBB!

Oh, one more thing....you can increase your pumping output by making sure you start out with rapid speed, minimal suction. When you feel a let down, switch to slow speed, maximal suction. You will get way more this way. Also, massage your breasts before pumping, that will also increase output.

HTH!