PDA

View Full Version : Lap desk pattern??

bubbaray
05-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Not sure where this should go - mods pls feel free to move if you want.

Has anyone seen a pattern for a lap desk? Basically, a pillow that attaches (with straps at the corners) to a piece of wood on one side. My grandmother used to make them. She used it for letter writing. I was thinking this would be perfect for DD#1 to use to color. I don't want a plastic one (I've seen them at Michaels), b/c I want one she can basically use in any position.

I'm a good sewer and DH is handy with wood (and has all the tools), so this would be a fun project. You know, for all my spare time. :hysterical:

MontrealMum
05-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Have you tried Etsy? I know, you want to DIY...I will say, I was shocked at the types of patterns in the books at Bouclair/Fabricville when I went in search of felt food/apron material. If I were you I might check that out too...

We had lap desks in our classrooms when I was in grade school and they were very useful - haven't thought about them in years though and I have no idea where they came from.

bubbaray
05-05-2009, 12:20 AM
I looked on Etsy, but they were fancier -- with lids that opened. I'm looking for a very basic pattern that has as the "wood" part a piece of stiff, but lighter-weight press board ( like pegboard but without the holes, that weight).

MontrealMum
05-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Well, couldn't you just sew a "pillow" shape and stuff it, and then get your DH to cut and sand a piece of thin wood to top it?

Not that you should listen to me, here I am w/ the DIY, and I am the Queen of not finishing things!!!

The lap desks that I remember had somewhat thin wood (actually, I think it was a veneer, it was very thin) that hung over the edge of the stuffed part about 3-4 inches? And there may have been a ridge-like bit at the bottom for catching pencils/pens etc? The padded part was long/wide enough to sit on a lap (maybe slightly more than 8X11 since that's paper size) and of perhaps a 4-6 in. depth. What about Lee Valley - maybe they're more appropriate for this since it's woodworking. Or maybe a teacher supply store? Now that I think about it maybe I should ask my mom in the a.m. You never know what she's going to come up with as a former teacher.

s_gosney
05-05-2009, 12:34 AM
Here's one I found http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ca_crafts_projects/article/0,2041,DIY_13721_2273399,00.html

It sounds like that between you and dh you could probably manage without a pattern and just make the size/shape to fit your dd's needs.

I like that this one has a handle http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7508238

MontrealMum
05-05-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm thinking about this more...I can figure out the stuffed, fabric part, and I guess I could figure out how to cut out the wooden top part (ask DH!), but I am not quite sure how to attach them to each other. Staples...glue gun??? Magic? Here is what I think of when I hear lap desk: desk (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=23953924&ref=sr_list_4&&ga_search_query=lap+desk&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title)...mind you, even tho it's called "luxurious" I'm not quite sure why...

bubbaray
05-05-2009, 12:41 AM
THe pillow had straps across the 4 corners and the wood piece slid underneath. Kinda like how those stick on corners used to hold photographs to paper scrapbooks back in the olden days??

MontrealMum
05-05-2009, 12:48 AM
Ah, I'm thinking wide-width elastic then? You know, sew it to the pillow fairly tightly, then slip the wood into it like w/photo corners one corner at a time? I think you could probably figure out a pattern on your own w/good measuring, and based on SGosney's link above...that dollhouse thing you did awhile back is waaay beyond my patience level ;) Do you have Omer DeSerres in BC? They actually sell those old-fashioned photo corners (and lots of other crafts stuff), but for the life of me I can't remember if they sell lap desks!

larig
05-05-2009, 01:08 AM
This sounds like a fun project. I think I'll try my hand at this when DS is a little older. I had a lap desk and I loved it. I always took it on car trips.

I agree with those who suggested just sewing a simple rectangular pillow with thick elastic across the corners. I think if you stuff the pillow pretty full, you'll lose some of the inches in length, so cut the top and bottom fabric of your pillow a little bit bigger. Add 1/2" or so for seams all around.

Lay one rectangle right side up, lay the elastic across the corners a couple of inches down from the corners. pin it in place and baste it in place. Take second rectangle and the first pin right sides together. Seam around the edges, leave an opening for turning. Turn, fill with beans, stitch up the opening.

Next you'd have to fit the board. I think I'd just try it out on cardboard and once I got a good fit use the cardboard for a template for the wood.