PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a back carrier, please

iaam
05-05-2009, 09:51 AM
DS is 16 months and 25lbs. We are looking for a back carrier that we can use on an upcoming trip. We have a Kelty frame carrier that we use on hikes but that seems way too big, bulky and heavy to take with us on the trip.

Based on my initial research, I am thinking of getting an Ergo. What do you ladies think?

DS is not a big fan of sitting in a carrier (would much rather walk) so we only need it for when he is tired/sleeping. In fact, I am trying to convince DH to return the Kelty and just use whatever new carrier we get for hikes as well.

Would love your thoughts! TIA.

jenny
05-05-2009, 11:06 AM
DD is 22 pounds and I use the beco butterfly to back carry her. Never tried an ergo, but you shouldn't have a big problem. He's old enough that he can get on your back without much help.

firsttimemama
05-05-2009, 07:28 PM
i would say an ergo fits that bill well.. and usually DHs don't mind wearing the ergo
if you're on the petite side and will be doing some carrying might wanna look at Beco too

mumofboys
05-06-2009, 01:51 PM
We have a framed Kelty for hiking as well but I use my Ergo for all my daily babywearing. We recently went on vacation that required all day walking around (city) and only brought the Ergo with us. It was perfect. Lightweight, didn't take up much space in car/hotel, and our LO napped in it while we did our thing. I even nursed with him in it as we walked around.

I'm keeping the Kelty because we still do quite a bit of hiking where the ground is uneven and I like the safety of a frame backpack. If I fall, I want my LO belted in and protected by the frame and construction materials. I also think it distributes weight well (Ergo does this to some degree but not to same degree).

~Kat

mamaoftwins
05-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Another vote for Ergo. :) We just took the guys on a three mile hike and no complaints from me, DH or the kids. The Ergos are super-comfy.

alirebco
05-06-2009, 06:20 PM
My vote is for the Ergo or Calyx for back carries.

iaam
05-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone -- I am sold on the Ergo.

Not sure what we'll do with our Kelty yet, but we have time to decide...

WatchingThemGrow
05-08-2009, 01:40 PM
We'll be using the Kelty and the Ergo to backcarry 2 DC while pushing a 3rd in the stroller :)

Beware: If you suspect DS will be falling asleep in the Ergo, make sure the diaper is a fresh one. DH got soaked one day when DD fell asleep and the pressure against the diaper pushed all the tinkle onto his shirt and shorts.

pastrygirl
05-08-2009, 03:25 PM
I never liked my Ergo, but I love my Calyx! It's so easy to get an older child onto your back. No gymnastics involved! I strap him into the inner "seat" then sling him over my shoulder like a backpack. :)