PDA

View Full Version : End of year teacher gifts - Help!

o_mom
05-05-2009, 10:20 AM
We only have 2.5 weeks left and I'm coming up blank! Here's the situation:

DS1 and DS2 have the same teacher, but different classes. Different aides for each one. For Christmas we did Starbucks cards ($10-15?) and chocolate dipped pretzel rods. Last year (same teacher) we gave a small plant to the teacher and aide. I have them make a card each time and write what they like best about the class.

So, ideas? Looking around $10-15, just a little something to go with the card.

egoldber
05-05-2009, 10:22 AM
I am lame, but I would do a gift card to a bookstore or Target. That way they can get things they need for themselves or for the classroom.

SnuggleBuggles
05-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Homemade cookies (made by ds!) and a bookstore gift card is my standard gift. Boring but hopefully something they like b/c it is disposable/ easy to store.

Beth

o_mom
05-05-2009, 10:28 AM
I am lame, but I would do a gift card to a bookstore or Target. That way they can get things they need for themselves or for the classroom.

That's my fallback idea - probably a B&N or Borders card, but I was hoping for something different. The plants went over well - I always figured that they could enjoy them for awhile and then plant them outside either at home or school. But... we did it last year so I feel like I need to come up with something new.

bubbaray
05-05-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm in the same boat, except I have to come up with a gift by SATURDAY for DD#1's German teacher and I have NO clue.

newmomm
05-05-2009, 10:30 AM
How about potted herbs? You can get a small, pretty container that the can keep in their kitchen. Maybe an "italian sampler" with basil, oregano & parsley in it. My sister did this last year and the teacher loved it!

Clare

traciann
05-05-2009, 10:44 AM
I think the plant would be just fine, especially if they enjoyed it last year. I would do B&N, Target or a Teacher Supply Store if you want to give a gift card. I would not do baked goods.

ECMom
05-05-2009, 10:53 AM
I always order personalized stationary. Expressionary.com always has a coupon (MOM40 right now) & I've been happy with the quality.

kristenk
05-05-2009, 10:56 AM
DD's teacher from 2 years ago recently told us that she still uses the bookmark DD made for her for Christmas. I made some laminated bookmarks out of a picture that DD had painted. We gave out a bookmark and a Border's gift card. I liked that it was a combination of something useful and something personal.

MichelleRC
05-05-2009, 11:46 AM
I was at the Coach outlet a few weeks ago and picked up a few cosmetic bags and wristlets for $12-$15. DS1's teacher loves gift cards to Whole Foods and Borders also.

SnuggleBuggles
05-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Would you be up for organizing a bigger gift from the whole class?

A few years back we bought ds1's teacher a gc to a great sushi restaurant b/c I knew she loved it. ANy personal details like that known about the teachers?

Beth

zag95
05-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Here are some thoughts:

What about donating to an organization in the teacher's name? Such as an educational organization that works in poor areas around the world or a shelter that works with women and children? You may also be able to donate for trees,etc.

I would say gift cards to bookstores as well as a general store, such as target, would be great ideas.

A larger gift from the class, such as a gift card to a restaurant or spa treatment, may be a great rememberance after a long year!

If it is an elementary classroom- what about a popcorn popper for snack days? (Do they even use these anymore??) that could be really fun.... or something that could be used in the room?

I love the plant idea- as well as the personalized stationary! Great ideas!

karolyp
05-05-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm going to get these for the teachers as well as a nice children's book to add to their library: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5921889&section_id=5663617

This seller is wonderful to work with and her stuff is truly beautiful.

bubbaray
05-05-2009, 12:48 PM
What about a desk organizer?

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p1_SpinWorx-Rotating-Desk-Organizer_182163_Business_Supplies_10051_SEARCH

I thought this might be useful and appreciated. Not sure, though. Its higher than your budget, but you might find it on sale -- and a $15 plus a plant is probably around $20 anyway, KWIM?

newmomm
05-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Those post it note holders are adorable! If you were to monogram it, would you put the teachers first initial of her first or last name?

Clare

alien_host
05-05-2009, 03:55 PM
I found these fun rubber stamps on Etsy today http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6156194&section_id=5704120&ga_search_query=cupcake&ga_search_type=user_shop_ttt_id_6156194

You could give these and take a pack of blank gift cards and stamp these on the front. The teacher could use them as thank you notes, class notes etc.

I'm thinking of doing it next Christmas/holiday season.

tlw
05-05-2009, 04:04 PM
I love personalized beach towels for end-of-year teacher gifts (and summer b'day kid gifts too!) I usually buy the towel from Target and then get the teacher's name (or child's name) embroidered on it. For my son's preschool teacher I put Miss Abbie.

I just got a towel at Target for $7 and had her name embroidered on it for $8. To me, this is a thoughtful and useful gift.

When I give it as a child's birthday gift, it's always well-received. And the best thing is that it's generic, so it works for boys as well as girls!

HTH~

KrisM
05-05-2009, 04:20 PM

That's what I do. I let DS pick the store and the actual card for each.

His teacher has Celiac disease, but doesn't announce it, so a lot of gifts are things she can't even eat.

DrSally
05-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Things my sister said she liked this year for Xmas (she's a teacher): B&N gift card, restaurant giftcard, like Maggiano's....

ETA: What about a nice hand lotion from Origins or somewhere like that. I like the whole foods GC idea or maybe you can find a cool item yourself there.

s_gosney
05-05-2009, 11:40 PM
I'm going to get these for the teachers as well as a nice children's book to add to their library: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5921889&section_id=5663617

This seller is wonderful to work with and her stuff is truly beautiful.

I'll second this rec. I bought these for several people at christmas and they went over well and definitely look like you spent more than $6.

As far as the other question, dd is in preschool and calls her teachers by their first name, so we went with first initial.

traciann
05-06-2009, 01:04 AM
alienhost-LOVE the stamps. I might have to get one for myself!

and the towel idea is a great one too. I read someone once wrapped a towel with ribbon then added suncreen and a magazine for a "day in the sun" themed gift.