PDA

View Full Version : Breast preference/refusal

LarsMal
05-05-2009, 12:33 PM
The LO has decided to play favorites!! I have tried pumping for about a minute to soften the breast and make it easier for her, but she still refuses to nurse on the left side.

I can't decide if I should pump it or just let it be and keep trying. I have a milk duct up in my armpit that is HUGE right now. You can see it- about the size of a large marble, sticking out of my armpit. I have done the hot water massage. It doesn't hurt too bad right now, but I'm afraid of what it might turn into if I just leave it alone.

What do you do when there is a breast preference/refusal? This is a new one for me!!

TIA!

bubbaray
05-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Hold her in the same position as she would be on the side she'll take. It will be awkward, but as long as the same "ear" is down, she probably will take it.

You need to nurse asap on the plugged side. Trust me, you do NOT want mastitis! If she really won't nurse on that side regardless of which position you place her in, pump like a mad woman while she is nursing on the unaffected/preferred side.

I would call an LC too.

I have found these "creative" holds to be easiest in a large Lazyboy chair, so instead of resting on my lap, the baby ends up almost on the arm of the chair on the affected/non-preferred side.

Momof3Labs
05-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Yes, work on her position on the left side. And keep pumping a little off so that it doesn't get too engorged to latch on.

For plugs, the best thing for me was a small, microwaveable heat pack that I got inside a neck pillow once. A small sock filled with some rice would work, too. Heat until it is quite warm (but not hot), tuck inside your bra at the plug, and go on your merry way. When it cools off, give your skin a little break, then warm again and do it again.

egoldber
05-05-2009, 01:33 PM
I would definitely try different positions. And see an LC when you can.

Just something to keep an eye on, many babies with reflux do this. Amy never nursed as well on the left side because it was uncomfortable for her.

justincase
05-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Just something to keep an eye on, many babies with reflux do this. Amy never nursed as well on the left side because it was uncomfortable for her.

Torticollis babies sometimes do this, too. I *hate* that I might sound alarmist but it jumped out at me...

LarsMal
05-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Good news- she made a liar out of me (for now at least!). I ended up pumping a little longer than I had been and she finally latched on. She nursed for a good 15-20 minutes on the left side and I still pumped about 3 ounces out after (in about five minutes or less). She started on that side the next feeding, too. It's much softer now, so hopefully she'll continue to take it. Now I just need to work on that duct. It has done this all 3 times and (knock on wood) never turned into mastitis. Of course, the other two nursed with no problems on that side, but hopefully I can get it under control before it gets bad. I'll try the rice or heat tonight and massage it in the hot shower again tomorrow. OUCH!!

Thanks for the tips!

justincase
05-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Yay! Good news. Sometimes they just need a little "BBB pressure" to perform -- I feel like as soon as I post about something like this, DC shapes up! :D