PDA

View Full Version : dd is bored & I am depressed

malphy
05-05-2009, 04:13 PM
The weather is awful so going outside is not an option. DD is bored and restless and I am very depressed right now. I just cannot think of anything to do with her to help her with this. Any easy ideas.

I have tried coloring, reading, clay, dolls and the day is still too long.

I know it is worse because i am very depressed right now and need to go back on meds but it will be a couple of weeks before that happens. The state of mental healthcare sucks. It takes forever to get an appt. No wonder so many people kill themselves. Even if you try to get help it is difficult to come by. Not to mention i get no help so it is hard to schedule/keep appts.

Anyway, I want to try to help dd get thru this rainy, icky weather and it is very difficult for so many reasons.

Any ideas? I just can't think today.

tia,
m

hellokitty1
05-05-2009, 04:16 PM
sorry you are not feeling well. as for ideas, it's rainy but is it too cold? maybe you could put on a raincoat and some rainboots and play in the rain? just let yourself and DD get wet and then come in and take a warm bath. the disclaimer is that i don't know where you live or how old dd is. gl.

TonFirst
05-05-2009, 04:21 PM
How old is your DD? Can you go to a movie? A museum? A mall with a nice parking deck so you don't have to be out in the elements?

malphy
05-05-2009, 04:29 PM
sorry, dd is 2. It is cold and rainy. The mall makes her crazy because she likes to run and I cant do that. If she was slightly less active it would help.

soontobe
05-05-2009, 04:33 PM
can you put her in front of a moive or go to the moive theater? you can make dinner together........?

maydaymommy
05-05-2009, 04:35 PM
If it doesn't work for today, can you plan for a trip out to an indoor play place? We have Moonbounce places with toddler areas, and play places with special climbing/play places for toddlers, too. I live in 'burbs south of Philadelphia.

What about some indoor activities that make a bit of a mess, but may keep her busy for a while? Can you put a sheet on the kitchen floor and empty out some rice or oats or beans into bowls or shallow bins. Let her play with that and some measuring cups and things to scoop and pour.

I hate to do it myself, but I admit I do -- there's always Sprout on Demand on tv.

In regards to depression, can you call your regular doctor to see someone and get some meds sooner? General Practitioners will usually prescribed antidepressants, especially if you've been on them before with some success so you know what meds work.

Good luck

Ceepa
05-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Put DD in the car. Throw a blanket over her lap. Let her pick out a doll or toy to take along. Go on a drive. Listen to music or a story or nothing at all. Find some roads you two haven't been on before or just cruise. Stay out for at least 20 minutes.

newg
05-05-2009, 04:38 PM
do you have one of those small blow-up or plastic baby pools? I read somewhere where a mom put a big paint sheet down and then put some sand in a baby pool inside her house.....kinda bring the outdoors in.........or what about blowing up some small balloons or getting those balls to make an indoor ball pit with the baby pool?
My dd is only 14 months, so I'm not sure if these ideas are developmentally appropriate yet......
What about drawing pictures/cards to send to relatives.....
Making a fort out of couch cushions and blankets.....
Taking an afternoon practice swim in the bathtub, including wearing swimming suit....to get ready for the warm swim weather...
Play dress up and have a tea party....

again.....just ideas....dd is only 14 months so I'm a bit aways from knowing if these really work or not!!

pinkmomagain
05-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Some ideas that come to mind: Make a "tent" and let her play in there for awhile, give her bath and let her play in it for awhile, bake brownies/cookies together, turn on some music and let her dance, build with blocks, look through old photo albums together.....

KBecks
05-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Oh honey, I'm going to worry about you now. First, I was worried that you might knock off your MIL and brother, and now I'm going to worry about you! Hang in there....

It's OK for your DD to be bored sometimes. My kids like to take baths, and a dip in the tub takes up a little time, if your DD is old enough to sit and play in the tub. Sometimes they ask for a bath every day or even two because they enjoy the water.

KBecks
05-05-2009, 05:01 PM
As for messy water play, John enjoyed having 2 bowls, one with water, and using a little sponge to transfer the water from one to the other. The mess isn't that bad. There is also putting shaving cream on a cookie sheet / tray.

elliput
05-05-2009, 05:33 PM
DD and I just got back from swimming at the Y (it's cold and raining here, too). Is there something you like that you can do? Getting out of the house, even for an hour, can really help your psyche.

s_gosney
05-05-2009, 06:22 PM
So sorry you're having a hard time and that the weather is not cooperating. It is so hard with very active/demanding kiddos. You've gottend some good suggestions. I would add encouraging your dd to have a dance party (you can do freeze dancing, songs with special movements, or just free dancing) and it always helps my mood if I join in but ymmv. Also, what about simon says or some sort of simple obstacle course? If you do things like run in place, hop like a bunny, jumping jacks (2 y/o will do modified ones, but still gets some energy out), etc it can help.
Hope you find some things that work! :hug:

srhs
05-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Sorry you're feeling lousy! :( I did see the WalMart online deal on a Smart Cycle and thought of you. I looked up the ages, though, and it says 3+. If she's close to 3 or you think she'd like it, the direct link is on SD.

DrSally
05-05-2009, 11:20 PM
I know the days can get long, esp. if you're not feeling well. Any chance you can call and get an earlier appt. It's very important you get in, make that a priority. It can take awhile for the meds to kick in, so it could be a month before you get some relief if you have to wait 2 weeks for your appt. and then 2 weeks for the meds to take effect. Maybe let them know you are avail if there's a cancellation.

As for things to do, baths are fun. When the evening drags on and I'm alone, I take DS up to the bath and then I can sit and talk to him and not have to be doing anything while I watch him play.

ETA: if you are feeling much worse, please call and let the clinic know.