PDA

View Full Version : coupon code giveaway with conditions - is this ok?

hellokitty1
05-05-2009, 04:27 PM
is it okay to put my own personal restrictions on a giveaway i have? i feel like it's often the same people that respond to code offers. it's as if they have some auto email notification when a thread offers a coupon code. i don't always want it to go to someone who clearly posts nothing but requests for codes.

is this petty?

vonfirmath
05-05-2009, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't post conditions. I'd just wait for someone to ask who you want to give it to.

nellonello
05-05-2009, 04:29 PM
I like the other person's suggestion to give to who you want. My favorite is to see trades that work out as it is a win-win situation.

hellokitty1
05-05-2009, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't post conditions. I'd just wait for someone to ask who you want to give it to.

so let me pose this..you see an offer and someone has replied to the thread instead of following the direction to PM. if you wanted it, would you not send a pm bc you see a reply and assume it is taken? sometimes, i wonder if people post reply just to scare off others.

i'm in a snarky mood today.

alien_host
05-05-2009, 04:44 PM
so let me pose this..you see an offer and someone has replied to the thread instead of following the direction to PM. if you wanted it, would you not send a pm bc you see a reply and assume it is taken? sometimes, i wonder if people post reply just to scare off others.

did they not have enough posts to PM? Not sure how many you need...but that goes back to another thread about people who don't have a lot of posts just asking for coupons.

I think as the "giver" you can choose who to give it to. For me personally, I don't want to have to spend time "figuring out" if the person is deserving or not of the code etc. (i.e. don't want to have to research it). If you have a method of figuring it out then I say go for it.

Ceepa
05-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Request a PM. Then pick someone from those who PM you.

hellokitty1
05-05-2009, 04:57 PM
did they not have enough posts to PM? Not sure how many you need...but that goes back to another thread about people who don't have a lot of posts just asking for coupons.

I think as the "giver" you can choose who to give it to. For me personally, I don't want to have to spend time "figuring out" if the person is deserving or not of the code etc. (i.e. don't want to have to research it). If you have a method of figuring it out then I say go for it.

i just look at when the person joined and how many posts they have. Then you can click on the link that says, "view all posts" and it's usually not many at all. and it becomes obvious if most or all of the posts are to request codes.

LBW
05-05-2009, 05:00 PM
I think you should use whatever criteria you want to give away something that is yours. If you feel like giving it to the person with the most creative use of smilies, or the best user ID, or the most posts, so be it.

hellokitty1
05-05-2009, 05:02 PM
I think you should use whatever criteria you want to give away something that is yours. If you feel like giving it to the person with the most creative use of smilies, or the best user ID, or the most posts, so be it.

hmm, i lke this. i could request a 500 word essay on why you are most deserving. :-) thanks for responding.

o_mom
05-05-2009, 05:10 PM

Our Freecycle had this great post about how you can choose whoever you want for your item, however you would like to. It had something about if you only want to choose people with siamese cats or who have purple striped socks, that's for you to decide.

In your case, I would ask for PMs, wait however long you like and choose from them - you can pick randomly, you can pick someone you like or you can pick the first one. Put in your post that you will update once it is taken so that people know they can still PM you. I would probably wait a few hours to make sure some of the regulars get a chance to see it, but that's me and you can do whatever you want with your code. ;)

KrisM
05-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Our Freecycle had this great post about how you can choose whoever you want for your item, however you would like to. It had something about if you only want to choose people with siamese cats or who have purple striped socks, that's for you to decide.

In your case, I would ask for PMs, wait however long you like and choose from them - you can pick randomly, you can pick someone you like or you can pick the first one. Put in your post that you will update once it is taken so that people know they can still PM you. I would probably wait a few hours to make sure some of the regulars get a chance to see it, but that's me and you can do whatever you want with your code. ;)

:yeahthat:

Heck, you could even put an end time on it, so if someone does post to try to make others think it's gone, people will know it's not gone until 10pm EDT or whatever.

Corie
05-05-2009, 05:22 PM
I say it's your coupon code and you can give it to anyone you want to!!!

Who says it has to be the very first person to reply?

You pick! :)

veronica
05-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Ooooh-can I have the code? Please?

Juuuuuuuust Kidding

I'm in a snarky mood too :)

you know I agree with you.....

clc053103
05-05-2009, 07:32 PM
I just offered up a very good Friends and family code last week, requested PM's so I could email the coupon. Only people with enough posts get PM abilities, right? I forwarded that email to a ton of people though! and I never thought about checking the # of posts of people who emailed me!

Now, I am liking your "500 word essay" idea even more!