PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make own sprouts at home?

sste
05-05-2009, 08:10 PM
I want to buy whatever it is one uses to sprout at home - - as in alfafa sprouts, broccoli sprouts, etc. I am going to be using sprouts in very large quantities (long story) and I think doing at home would be cheaper (??).

Anyway, has anyone done this? What do I need to buy? Any contraption that works particularly well?

Meatball Mommie
05-05-2009, 09:02 PM
You can do either alfalfa or broccoli sprouts or other mixtures that are sold in packets. I purchased a sprouting container at Home Depot earlier this spring (near all the seed packets and starting kits). It's made by Burpee so you should be able to find it locally. It's just this clear plastic thing that has 2 trays with holes to drain water through. Nothing fancy. It came with some seeds but I prefered the packets I bought at our local Agway (large packets of alfalfa seeds by Thompson & Morgan). I think you can just sprout seeds in mason jars. The key is to rinse the seeds 2x per day otherwise they will get moldy :( It does take a bit of time to sprout them though so keep that in mind - if you need them fast, you'll have to buy them. Good luck! I love sprouts!

eda
05-05-2009, 09:10 PM
I have made sprouts at home, its very easy and much safer then buying them at the store. There is a kit that you use and I threw away the box but here is a website that looks like what I have. http://www.sproutpeople.com/seed/kits.html. A little goes a long way and you will save money in the long run.

love_a_latte
05-05-2009, 09:16 PM
A while back DH grew some sprouts in canning jars. We used the open threaded ring (I don't know what it is called, I don't can) to hold a piece of mesh over the top, which made it really easy to rinse and drain them a couple times a day.

Beware...they expand exponentially once they start growing, which sounds like a "no duh" statement. DH started with about two cups of seeds, and after a couple of days we had sprouts coming out of our ears! I am not exaggerating when I say that there must of been ten to twelve cups worth that we had to find room in the fridge to store.

Overall it was a easy, yummy thing to do...maybe I should get another batch going...