PDA

View Full Version : Manual Pump: Medela vs Avent vs ?

star04
05-05-2009, 09:25 PM
I will be breastfeeding, and I will be with baby full time. However, I would like to pump every so often to give hubby or anyone else a chance to feed her. So I think a manual pump will do the job (to start off with anyways).

Which manual pump do you prefer? Or which have you used and what are your thoughts? Thanks!!

todzwife
05-05-2009, 09:56 PM
I LOVED my isis. It's a great pump!

SpaceGal
05-06-2009, 01:44 AM
I vote for the Medela Harmony. I have two in fact, mine first one broke and I called Medela to ask about how much replacement parts were and they just simply told me they would send me them for no charge. While I was waiting, my hospital gave me another Harmony just to help me keep up my supply since I pump and feed. I know Medela has great customer service. Not to sure about Avent these days though.

I have the Isis and it is fine but the sound it makes when I would pump sounded like a dying duck. It drove my husband crazy. The other thing about the Isis is that I think it wasn't a good fit for me and was a bit painful for me...I couldn't use it with the silicone petal cover thingy, it just would make me so sore.

Once I decided to get the Harmony from reading reviews...I was sooooo glad I did. I pump with my Harmony everyday a few times a day and I like it...granted now I am getting myself an single electric (Medela Swing which has compatible parts with the Harmony) just because I'm simply tired of manual pumping. My friend has it too and she likes it as well.

Sweetum
05-06-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm trying to decide between the 2 as well, and am going nuts with all the conflicting reviews :D
From what I've read so far, it seems that the isis is a good pump for most people. but the ones who complained said that it leaked, and had to position it correctly for it to work. Some have also said that it doesn't work for some "body types" although I'm not sure what that exactly means. Could it be the shape/size of the breast? If that is the case, can someone with an Isis tell me if they've had positioning issues because of their breast shape? My breasts (sorry, TMI) tend to be soft (even when they have milk) and my nipples are slightly facing down - so will the isis with the silicone petal flange work? will it start leaking since my nipples point down?

About the Medela - it seems to have the 2phase expression - is that something that's useful?

TIA
-SunshineAndMe