PDA

View Full Version : ? for those that own a DSLR

infomama
05-05-2009, 09:49 PM
We just got back from Vegas but my Canon Elpf didn't make it home. It broke when we were there. The Nikon D40 (buydig has it on sale for $414 with a 4g memory card for free) takes amazing pictures but I am on the fence because I loved being able to pop my point/shoot into movie mode to catch a quick flick.
My question is should I go for another p/s camera with a video function and sacrifice some of the picture quality OR just go for the digital SLR and lug the video camera everywhere.
TIA

neeter
05-05-2009, 09:58 PM
i love our dslr (canon)...the pictures are amazing and there is no shutter lag when flash is not being used. that being said, i also have a flip camcorder, which is tiny. that combo seems to work for us, bringing both is not a pain, and when space is really limited, i bring the flip.

infomama
05-05-2009, 10:01 PM
How is the video quality with the Flip?

wencit
05-05-2009, 10:03 PM
If you can afford it, my answer would be both. My DSLR takes pictures that absolutely can not be replicated by my p&s, but sometimes it can be a bit of a pain to lug it around. I always have my p&s with me so that I can take quickie photos and videos of DS if he happens to do something adorable at the moment; it stays in my diaper bag/purse at all times. For other occasions when I want really nice pictures, like Easter egg hunts or birthday parties or Christmas, I take my DSLR. It's really the best of both worlds! Not only does the Buydig deal sound pretty good, but you can also find very decent p&s cameras for cheap prices these days, too.

LD92599
05-05-2009, 10:16 PM
The Nikon D90 has movie mode!

You can find some deals on the D90 and if you combine it with live.com % back...free shipping, no tax, makes for a better deal. Check out JR.com. I've ordered a bunch of Nikon equipment from them w/ the % back and have always been happy with J&R (B&H too but J&R has a better % back on live.com).

Good luck deciding!

Laura

neeter
05-05-2009, 10:49 PM
i love it! i'm not an expert but really happy with the size (mino) and the playback quality is pretty darned good. :) :)

How is the video quality with the Flip?

LBW
05-06-2009, 07:16 AM
I have a Canon DSLR. I felt the same way you do (not wanted to lug it around) so I bought a p&s, too. I never use it. The picture quality is just not up to par when compared to the DSLR. I also can't deal with the lag time - I miss too many shots. This wasn't something I noticed before using a DSLR.

I recently got a Vado HD video recorder (like a flip). The quality is great, and it's TINY. I got it for ~$100 through an amazon deal (about half price). If you wait, deals seem to come up every month or two.

infomama
05-06-2009, 08:01 AM
I recently got a Vado HD video recorder (like a flip). The quality is great, and it's TINY. I got it for ~$100 through an amazon deal (about half price). If you wait, deals seem to come up every month or two.
Thanks! I'll keep my eyes out for a deal on those.

JTsMom
05-06-2009, 08:08 AM
I think it just depends on how attached you are to the video vs. still shots. I like video- don't get me wrong- we just never watch it. I still take it for big events, but I'm not super concerned about it. For example, we carried into Disney maybe 2 of the days we were there, but the other days, I just didn't bother. Christmas yes, children's museum, probably no.

Stills though, we are obsessed with. :) I loooove the quality of shots my Canon takes, and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

infomama
05-06-2009, 08:10 AM
We take little videos all the time. I think I am pretty attached. ;)

mommylamb
05-06-2009, 10:25 AM
I got the D40 from buydig, and rather than sending us a 4 gig card, they sent us an 8 gig card. Bonus!

JTsMom
05-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Hmm- I think I'd still lean towards lugging the video camera (especially if you can get a small one), but you know my bias! I'm telling you, the pictures I get with my Rbel take my breath away, and I don't even really know what I'm doing with it yet! I capture so many shots that I would have missed with my old Canon p&s. It's funny, I actually take fewer pics now b/c I KNOW I'm going to get a good shot. With the old camera (and it wasn't a cheapy either), I just snapped constantly hoping to get a couple of decent ones.

bubbaray
05-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I say all have their uses. I have a Canon XTi (prior version of XSi), an SD1100 and a Flip Mino. I LOVE them all. For Disneyland, I only took our SD1100 and the Flip (which was actually waiting for us at the hotel, LOL). They were perfect. On vacations where I can take more stuff (car trips, RV trips), I take the big camera too. But, when my carryon is already stuffed and I cant fit more stuff ON the strollers to go into the parks, the small camera and the flip are a great combo.

infomama
05-06-2009, 12:34 PM
I say all have their uses. I have a Canon XTi (prior version of XSi), an SD1100 and a Flip Mino. I LOVE them all. For Disneyland, I only took our SD1100 and the Flip (which was actually waiting for us at the hotel, LOL). They were perfect. On vacations where I can take more stuff (car trips, RV trips), I take the big camera too. But, when my carryon is already stuffed and I cant fit more stuff ON the strollers to go into the parks, the small camera and the flip are a great combo.
If your Canon takes video then why did you get the Flip? I am pretty sure DH would loose it if I bought a new p/s (with video capability), DSLR AND a Flip.

bubbaray
05-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Because my Flip is about the size of a cellphone. I can literally put it in my shorts pocket. SO handy (and CUTE).

My DH was not impressed -- until he used it. Even he likes it now.

infomama
05-06-2009, 05:40 PM
The Flip sounds cool. I'll be looking for deals on this one, too. I didn't know it was so small!

left210
05-19-2009, 02:10 PM
This is my whole dilema right now - wanting a new P/S hoping to get better pictures but everyone recommends a DSLR. So do they have an auto mode or do I have to know how to put in a bunch of settings to get a good shot? Do you have to buy lenses and all of that?

LBW
05-19-2009, 02:23 PM
This is my whole dilema right now - wanting a new P/S hoping to get better pictures but everyone recommends a DSLR. So do they have an auto mode or do I have to know how to put in a bunch of settings to get a good shot? Do you have to buy lenses and all of that?

I'm fairly sure all of the consumer-level DSLRs have auto mode. You can get by with the kit lens, but at some point in the future (could be years from now!) you'll probably want to explore using different lenses.

infomama
05-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Here is what I have heard from many about DSLR's...spend 1/3 on the body and 2/3 on the lens. The lens really makes the camera. If you check out this link, you will see that all the different lenses and that the end result is quite different http://thepioneerwoman.com/photography/2007/03/pioneer-womans-equipment/. It's an older entry and I know now she is also using a newer Nikkor lens (50mm 1.4) that takes amazing pictures. If you are moving from a p/s to a DLSR I would just go with the included lens and then perhaps take a couple of photography classes (offered at many local camera shops). Even if you never take the camera out of auto mode it's good to know what your camera can so esp. after spending $$ on it.

m448
05-19-2009, 03:25 PM
PW had a major upgrade so her body is pretty nice even with regard to her lenses. She has a huge hunka pro body.

I've been keeping an eye on all the dslr talk on these boards since several years ago but after buying my S3 two years ago and loving it, learning more about photography I'm finally taking the plunge. I've opted to go for a canon xsi with the kit lense for now and then down the road considering the prime 50mm/1.8 lens as well as the 55-250mm lens. For now I've been practicing bouncing my flash on an index card and off another white surface although I prefer no flash.

infomama
05-19-2009, 08:00 PM
For now I've been practicing bouncing my flash on an index card and off another white surface although I prefer no flash.
I am pretty sure PW never uses her flash. She is a photoshop wiz for sure.

elephantmeg
05-19-2009, 09:26 PM
My P+S is in the diaper bag. The DSLR just goes if I know I'm going to want to take good pics-and I have an extra set of hands to help with the kids! I agree-love the little videos with my P+S!

m448
05-19-2009, 11:03 PM
I am pretty sure PW never uses her flash. She is a photoshop wiz for sure.

;) That I know for sure but although I shoot 90% no flash indoors, sometimes I need the shot of a moving kid and with my p&s bouncing gives far more natural results.