PDA

View Full Version : Non-bag freezer storage options?

purple
05-05-2009, 11:01 PM
I prefer not to freeze my BM in plastic bags, and would prefer hard plastic or glass. I'm currently using the Medela 2.5 ounce hard plastic storage containers, which work pretty well, but I would like to also be able to store larger some larger quantities. The Medela containers also take up a ton of space in my freezer, as I haven't found a good way to stack them in a space efficient manner.

I haven't found any glass freezer options, have you?

Before I go out and buy a ton more of the Medela bottles, are there any other good options in hard plastic? Ideally holding slightly more at a time (maybe 4-5 ounces). Or even if there is a better way to store the Medela containers in my freezer that would help with my space problem.

TIA

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Does Avent still have a system? I used VIA for a little bit and it was BPA free.

SpaceGal
05-07-2009, 12:40 AM
I use the Evenflo Breast Milk storage bottles...I just got them and they work pretty good. They are less expensive than the Medela or other bigger brands. Evenflo was $4 for 4-4oz bottles at BRU.

Momof3Labs
05-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Why no bags? They are the most space-efficient if you are storing a lot of EBM. I've froze EBM for both boys (with my second, I also donated over 1100 oz to a breastmilk bank) and used bags probably 75% of the time. I could count on one hand the number of bags that had an issue - and the issue was usually a small hole that only became apparent when we thawed the bag.

I know that the breastmilk bank provided me with sterile plastic containers that held about 6oz but they weren't compatible with a nipple. They probably came from a medical supply place.

sste
05-07-2009, 08:41 AM
I used the "mothers milkmate" system of plastic bottles and wire racks. It is not the most space efficient but I loved it. I also used some lansinoh bags behind and at the sides of the wire racks in my freezer to max space.

twowhat?
05-07-2009, 09:50 PM
I used the Medela 2.5 oz hard plastic bottles too. I found that I could put 80 ml in each bottle (the highest marked measurement) and it would still be fine once frozen. 80 ml is about 2.75 oz.

My biggest tip is to save the box that the bottles come in! I put all the filled bottles back into the box, and stacked the boxes on top of each other and wrote on the boxes the range of dates for the breastmilk.

purple
05-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Why no bags? They are the most space-efficient if you are storing a lot of EBM.

Personal choice, just as I've read that glass and hard plastic are supposedly better for preserving all the antibodies in the milk (i think they supposedly stick more to plastic bags). Not knocking bag users of course.

purple
05-09-2009, 02:33 PM
I used the Medela 2.5 oz hard plastic bottles too. I found that I could put 80 ml in each bottle (the highest marked measurement) and it would still be fine once frozen. 80 ml is about 2.75 oz.

My biggest tip is to save the box that the bottles come in! I put all the filled bottles back into the box, and stacked the boxes on top of each other and wrote on the boxes the range of dates for the breastmilk.

This is a good idea that I never thought of. And I've already thrown away two boxes (why didn't I ask this sooner? ;) I have tried putting the bottles in plastic tubs, but they take up SO much space, and you can't stack them because of their height.

daisymommy
05-11-2009, 12:39 PM
I've been researching this too :)
What I have found is that with glass, the nutrients and fat stick to the glass unless you wait 24 hrs. for them to "slide off" basically (which they will do after 24 hrs. in the freezer as well).

With the storage bags, the Medela ones are lined with nylon (so they are double layer) and the milk nutrients and fats do NOT cling to the nylon like they do with other bags.

I personally am going to just go with the Medela or Lansinoh storage bottles myself. I like how sturdy they are, less waste into the trash, and less chance of spillage.

BUT I will say that I am a SAHM who won't be pumping full-time, and won't need to maximize freezer space either. If I were working outside the home, I would probably pump into Medela bags, freeze, and then pour the milk myself into bottles at home (rather than having daycare do it, so I wouldn't worry about careless spillage, as I have read can happen with bags).

But that's just my 2-cents worth! :)

purple
05-11-2009, 09:47 PM
With the storage bags, the Medela ones are lined with nylon (so they are double layer) and the milk nutrients and fats do NOT cling to the nylon like they do with other bags.

Hmmm, this is interesting, I wasn't aware that the Medela bags were made this way. I may look into using them, along with my plastic bottles.